All-New Member

Default Hellboy's lesser acclaimed powers

Regardless how much I search for I can't find a single wiki listing a complete and unabridged, or at least moderately extense, rationally extensive, list of Hellboy's powers... For some straneg reason... They even fail to mention that he can animate the dead! Or something to that effect... I mean... He brought Ivan Klimentovich back to conscience (dispite him returning as a rotting or at least rotten corpse)... At least in the movie... And I wonder which of these other powers not associated with the type of character he is does he have? I mean, he is the typical brawling bruiser character... Except that he is from hell, tackles the occult and has related skilles under his sleeves, and horns, sawed-off horns.

Amazing Member

I think the typical list for the comic book version is...
    Indestructible right arm.
    Superhuman body (so that includes strength, speed and endurance)
    Body that can withstand wounds that are normally fatal to humans. Has super regeneration.
    Supernatural powers from his wide variety of charms, which usually fends off specific monsters and ghosts.
    Like an amulet targeting unnatural animals or wooden steaks for vampires.
    And really, really lousy shooting ability, despite his very huge gun.
    I'm not sure if he can reanimate the dead like in the movie though, that scene is more like a nod to the famous short, "The Corpse".

I'll try not to put in spoilers because I don't know how much you read. A hinted, or more subtle list of powers I could think of is...

Fire resistance, which may just be a side effect from his super regeneration.
    But it has to be something when you can endure both flame of creation and fire blast from the world destroyer.

Also, in "The Island", it was hinted once that Hellboy can choose "not to die" when suffering a wound that pierced through the majority of his upper body.
    In the comic, even with his heart pierced right through multiple times, he always recovered in a second (then pull the bloody spear out).
    I always read it as some kind of cruel, twisted fate forced on Hellboy, so he could not use death to escape his destiny; he must make a choice.
    However he can still be permanently injured by unnatural means, for example his payment to Baba Yaga and his last scene with Nimue did leave some "permanent" marks.

Pyrokinetics. It occurred once in "The Wild Hunt". Again this is an ambiguous one because the whole thing could be an illusion.
    When Hellboy fought with an evil projection of himself and was strangled, his horn grew back up and he burnt the entire castle.
    It might make sense given his right arm is the arm used to catch Vril.

All-New Member

Thanks! that is very eye-opening! And well, I can't come across the hellboy comics as often as I had wanted to... Or comics in general for that matter... I more like... Follow characters on screen appearances and whatever data wikias may gimme... Which at the end amounts to a different way to hook up and go through the narratives behind them... And well, I don't mind spoilers regarding the powers a character has... As long as I dont get spoilers to those plot points that permeate the whole narrative not as part of it makeup but as part of its mystery...

And well... Yep, his charms seemed to be a source of a variety of powers not specified in my sources... I even got the idea (from what I read at wikipedia, hellboywiki, internationalcomics and the like) that he is a spellcaster of sorts (probably a low-level at that but still able to use something besides muscle to battle the occult), at least I've read him labelled as the best occulist in his canon... So I wondered, what spells he has? What charms?

Amazing Member

His charms are mainly used for protection, to fend off spells/hypnosis/mind control and other magic.
    Some of these "magic resistance" may also due to his heritage as a demon.
    The only way to hurt him with magic is through his true name and his body parts(like voodoo), like a specially crafted nail stick right into the base of his horn.
    So while technically he is the best occulist known to human, given his vast knowledge of the supernatrual.
    There are many beings, whether they are used to be human or not, that are definitely beyond his level.

He never really use any offensive spells. He used wooden steaks a couple of times and an amulet for a pig giant once.
    There was also one short where he burnt a special herb to drive away creatures from another plane.
    But mainly the action(if there is any) comes from his giant fist, and any handy objects he find nearby.
    This may due to the fact that Hellboy is not an action-heavy comic and fighting is often the least important part of the story.
    I assume we'll see more in the upcoming series, Hellboy and the BPRD.

Hellboy has all the abilities and defences being a part demon affords. Part of this is that he can understand some arcane languages, or the language of beasts. He is strong, but not invincible. Fire doesn't seem to be a major problem either.

He does not have the ability to cast spells. He carries around with him talismans and other magically imbued objects, but it's common for most Bureau field agents to carry objects like these. They're tools, like a plumber carries a wrench, but they didn't make these things.

Hellboy is sometimes referred to as "the world's greatest paranormal investigator." This title comes from an article ran in LIFE Magazine on his fiftieth birthday (December 1994), and that title is in no way accurate. He's the most famous definitely, but certainly not the greatest. He never hit the books, and if he'd been a human agent, he would have been killed a long time ago and many times over. While his knowledge is nothing to sniff at, there many B.P.R.D. agents better qualified in this regard. The title for world's greatest paranormal investigator would probably fit Sir Edward Grey far better. Hellboy has survived the worst cases over and over, and it was a catchy headline. But it doesn't mean anything more than that.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    It has some really major spoilers so watch with caution. Here is a spoiler free version that I edited, which unfortunately lacks the handy hyperlink.

--

Name: Hellboy, Anung Un Rama
    Titles: The World Destroyer, The Great Beast of the Apocalypse; The World's Greatest Paranormal Investigator
    Origin: Born of the demon Azzael and the human witch Sarah Hughes. On Earth, the sorcerer Rasputin, allied with the Nazis, attempted to summon the Beast of the Apocalypse so that he could unleash the dragon Ogdru Jahad, who would destroy the world. However, Hellboy ended up in the hands of Allied Forces, and would grow under the care of Trevor Bruttenholm and the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense (BPRD).

Weapons/Gear:
    The Right Hand of Doom: The hand is invulnerable, immune to pain, and is used like a sledgehammer for additional power, but nimble enough to catch a fly. It also can affect ghosts.

Guns:
    Hellboy uses a handgun he is proficient in using. The first gun he uses packed enough force to punch wide holes in frog-monsters, although he currently uses a US Army .45.

Trinkets
    Hellboy carries many charms and talismans that are effective in protecting him from magic
    Carries an iron horseshoe to weed out faeries
    Holy water
    A plant to drive away extoplasm
    A silver button that burns a demon

Explosives:
    Vulcan 65 grenades
    Vulcan 50 grenades capable of this

Strength:
    Picks up this hunk of rock
    One shots a dinosaur (aftermath)
    Punches a stone giant enough to make him reel from the blow
    Breaks walls with his blows
    With his left hand sends a zombie flying
    Smashes a boulder in half
    Chucks a tree hard enough to impale a giant
    Dislodges a large boulder with his leg strength

Durability
    Charges a machine gun
    Eats a shotgun to the face
    Gets pounded by a giant
    Brushes off this castle sized explosion
    Is impaled many times
    Tanks a bunch of arrows
    After jumping out of a plane, Hellboy's jetpack explodes, leaving him to fall and then crash into a castle
    An ax swing only cuts half-way through his arm
    Immunity to fire
    Gets smacked around by the demon Eligos
    Electrocuted with enough juice to "light up Hamburg"

Skills and Reflexes:
    Avoids two melee attacks
    Rolls under a swipe
    Taking on an entire army of skeletons
    Slaughters a ton of giants
    Single handedly murders a bunch of guys

Defiance and Will:
    Hellboy refuses to comply with fate. His defiance is so great that he is deathless until he feels he is ready to die. After he is impaled and killed, he is resurrected because he isn't ready. This is also seen when he is stabbed in the chest with no consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Septaryeth View Post
    It has some really major spoilers so watch with caution. Here is a spoiler free version that I edited, which unfortunately lacks the handy hyperlink.
    Thanks Septaryeth. I completely forgot about spoilers.

All-New Member

Thanks you both, its quite rvvealing, and Hellboy was on tv last night, and I could see how the corpse was both found and animated by one of the tools he carries with him.