Default The Parker Luck -- stories to share?

Last night around midnight, I triumphantly finished an assignment for school that was due today. I'd put it off and was proud that I was able to scrape something presentable together; and as I jumped in bed, ready to sleep soundly after a long night of hard work and frustration, I realized that I had a much much more important test today in another class that had slipped my mind. I groaned and climbed out of bed to partake in an all-night cram session.

Obviously, I have some serious time management problems that I need to work through, but the point of this story is that the entire unfortunate situation gave me an idea for what might be a fun thread:

What are some times in your life where you felt like you were cursed with the Parker luck?

People love Spider-Man for a lot of different and often very personal reasons, but as for me, I've always associated with his never-ending series of misfortunes and his willingness to push through them, even though odds are that there's an even BIGGER misfortune after the current one! What say you?

A couple of weeks ago I was skateboarding down a street, and there were a couple of people on the sidewalk. I didn't wanna try to go through them, so I quickly hopped onto the road. The problem was I started going down a hill, and I didn't realize how to slow down. So I fell and obviously landed badly. Completely forgot I was going down a hill cause I was more focused on not looking stupid with my skateboard.

Parker Luck.

I hate to be a detractor in an obviously whimsical thread, but I refuse to believe that "Parker luck" is a real thing.

Obviously Peter gets into a lot of every day problems due to the writers wanting drama in his life, but I don't think there should be some bad luck powers acting on him all the time. It's a bit unrealistic and I'd like to leave it out of my Spider-man. Peter is the every man, not the unlucky man, and I don't like the idea that writers should place excessive misfortune on him.

Anyway, carry on...
    Last edited by Vortex85; 09-29-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I hate to be a detractor in an obviously whimsical thread, but I refuse to believe that "Parker luck" is a real thing.

Obviously Peter gets into a lot of every day problems due to the writers wanting drama in his life, but I don't think there should be some bad luck powers acting on him all the time. It's a bit unrealistic and I'd like to leave it out of my Spider-man. Peter is the every man, not the unlucky man, and I don't like the idea that writers should place excessive misfortune on him.

Anyway, carry on...
    Parker Luck has always and will always be trusting your gut instincts and watching it backfire right in your face.
    Peter avoiding meeting MJ is the perfect example of it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post

Anyway, carry on...
    I just want to disagree with you completely here. =p

I have terrible luck. Things go wrong. Things break, things fall, plans backfire, all that jazz. All the time. There's nothing mystical about it as far as I know, but it's just somethign that happens. There are random things that happen to everyone every day, luck is just whether those random things tend to be good or bad, and mine are almost always bad.

Which, honestly, is part of the reason I was able to connect with the character so much. Because he also seemed to have that same kind of luck, that same bit of the world turned against him. So I don't want him to lose that, because, well, it makes him more relatable to me. Probably not to everyone. But to me? Yeah.

My entire life, from the moment that damn spider bit me when i was attending a science experiment at school.... oh damn that wasn't me! curse my Parker luck.