Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Niffleheim

It is the best decision they have ever made. The X-books have too many characters as it is and if this decision serves to curb writers' laziness and force them to write for the characters they already have by giving readers stories that they want to read and enjoy then I wholeheartedly applaud this decision. Writers need to think of great stories as their only legacy to the franchise not new characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    If you can't be creative with limitations, then you aren't that creative and probably aren't cut out for writing or working for anyone other than yourself.
    Agreed.

This new move shouldn't hamper any writers with actual talent.

(Guess I know why some are concerned now though lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Dare View Post
    It is the best decision they have ever made. The X-books have too many characters as it is and if this decision serves to curb writers' laziness and force them to write for the characters they already have by giving readers stories that they want to read and enjoy then I wholeheartedly applaud this decision. Writers need to think of great stories as their only legacy to the franchise not new characters.
    Excellent post!
    Last edited by Trident; 10-07-2014 at 01:13 PM.

This does explain the super random use of Dark Beast and Exodus, just insert villain here
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Its a short sighted view. It won't hurt any present stories or things being planned in the immediate future. Its still a crippling practice.
    I doubt this is going to last forever. Probably after a few years they will just limit the amount of new characters that are able to be created. Once they flesh out and focus on characters that they can make more popular and that will sell comics. Instead of taking chances on new characters and adding them to limbo when they don't work. Use the already established limbo characters and in the words of Tim Gunn "Make it work"!

BANNED

Its a short sighted view. It won't hurt any present stories or things being planned in the immediate future. Its still a crippling practice.
    Maybe for the long run. But again with as many characters and concepts already available it should take years before the X-Titles are actually effected. By then if Marvel/Disney is truly trying to cripple Fox in some way the right for the movies very well might be handed back over to them. Which would probably better for X-Fans in general considering how terrible the x-films have been in the past.

BANNED

All this will do is make writers continue to use the trend of using the same six X-Men in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I'm just saying that it won't hurt the With as many character the X-men have available that aren't being used or haven't been used in years the x-office could pull out an old character very few months and be just the same, if not better then, creating a brand new character who will be around just as long as the current writer is on the title.
    Those characters aren't being used for a reason. Individually, all the X-writers took a long look at all the Surges, Trances, and Hellions of the world and decided "Nah, I don't want to write about these losers."

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Agreed.

This new move should hamper any writers with actual talent.

(Guess I know what some are concerned now though lol)
    Did you mean this shouldn't hamper any writers with talent?

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

How is it a crippling practise when the writers themselves utilise pre/long established characters as the main protagonists for their stories?

UXM: Scott, Emma, Kitty, Magic
    ANXM: the old but new O5
    AXM: Wolverine, Storm, Bobby, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Firestar, Northstar
    XM: Storm, Psylocke, Rachel, Jubilee, Monet
    WatXM: Storm, Beast, Wolverine...plus some of Morrison's kids and a few others.
    ANXF: Polaris, Gambit, Danger, Doug, Warlock, Quicksilver
    UXF: Psylocke, Cable, Marrow

From the above list one can easily surmise that, with the exception of TDWFH and Aaron's books, not a lot of "creation" is going on in those books. At least no characters that are pivotal to the books themselves moving forward.

I do agree the writers are creatively crippled but that would be solely because of their lack of imaginations to use wot they already have and not because of their inability to create new characters.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

this also explains why kyle and yost had nothing creative or innovative to contribute to their run on amazing x-men. just a bunch of wendigos. and it also explains their awkward silences in xpos when asked about upcoming story ideas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blinkingblah View Post
    Did you mean this shouldn't hamper any writers with talent?
    Yep. My phone is having a fit for some reason....

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    All this will do is make writers continue to use the trend of using the same six X-Men in everything.
    Seriously. I'm baffled that anyone thinks we'll suddenly have ongoings centered around a bunch of C-D listers. Especially since we have two of these books out right this minute (ANXF and X-Force) that are on the road to cancellation.

But yes, there will totally be new books starring Marrow, Armor, Maggot, Loa and whoever the hell else and it's gonna SMASH. Sure....
    Last edited by Supernature; 10-07-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    there is a clause at the bottom of the article which bendis has also remarked on. his new terrorist mutants happen to fall under the marvel NOW! "soft boot" which makes them off-limits to FOX.
    So can't other writers do what bendis did and find loopholes to create new characters?

I mean I agree the writers shouldn't have to find loopholes in the first place. But that doesn't mean it's impossible.

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emma's Midriff View Post
    Even when they are given/have the opportunity to create additional characters they still rely on writing those "same six X-Men" to tell their stories. The secondary characters they create are not that vital.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    Seriously. I'm baffled that anyone think we'll suddenly have ongoings centered around a bunch of C-D listers. Especially since we have two of these books out right this minute (ANXF and X-Force) that are on the road to cancellation.

But yes, there will totally be new books starring Marrow, Armor, Maggot, Loa and whoever the hell else and it's gonna SMASH. Sure....
    Okay and a book centered around no name newly created mutants is going to FLY OFF THE SHELVES???? I don't think anyone is saying ditch the A-listers and make a whole book of C-listers. That obviously isn't working. Just place c-listers here and there, flesh them out and give them an actual story and personality. Instead of making new mutant wallpaper characters.