Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Although not the best pose, Not sure how this is done - https://i.imgur.com/OUMytUI.jpg
    Unfortunately, I can't get Ralph from that image as he's obstructed too much.
    I really did want to use the classic red and blue costume (I hated the white/purple costume), but most artists would have him stretched to incredible lengths or wrapped around/behind others.
    If I find a useful image I may update it.
    That link may help, somewhere has to be the JJGLopez original without the ebay mark?

Although truth is I actually prefer his pre-Satellite, back-up Detective and Flash colors.

LOL that cover!

Last edited by Güicho; 11-30-2017 at 04:40 PM.

That link may help, somewhere has to be the JJGLopez original without the ebay mark?
    Actually, the problem lies in the JLA-Babies obscuring his feet and Zatanna blocking all of one arm.
    Would've been a great source for Red Tornado, also, if not for the JLA-Babies. :/

I'll have to look up some Flash appearances. I think if I just recolor the purple red, it would work. Just gotta find a pose that works in the space and matches the other Leaguers in size.

Edit...
    Look what I found...
    http://www.oocities.org/jcfigures/elongcard.jpg

Think I'll be updating the image later when I'm at my computer.

I also found a more fitting Red Tornado.

Another edit... that ebay image popped up for me. I didn't see it earlier. Will investigate...
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 11-30-2017 at 07:53 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

IMG_0196.JPG

I used to see ads for something like this when I was a kid. Those full page ads that had everything from coloring books to action figures were the best. The Green Arrow car used to catch my eye a lot. Funny thing about the set in the picture, that is a rugged looking Wonder Woman. I used to notice that as kid. From a distance it looks like Conan in a WW suit!

I love the early 70's Era to about 1983. There are loads of good stories but nothing written in the style of a modern comic. Great concepts though.

Image updated with new pics for Elongated Man and Red Tornado:

-fixed link
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-15-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Nice image.
    Too bad it's missing Firestorm. But at least it has J'onn and Hawkwoman.

Nice image.
    Agree. However this is not so uncommon. When Alex Ross, a dedicated lover of classic/satellite JLA, draws the team he almost always leaves Firestorm out while he sometimes includes non-members he believes should have been there like Plastic Man, Shazam, Metamporpho.

If you were reading comics when those Satellite JLA issues came out, you know he was a late addition, the last addition to the official roster that was in place from their first appearance. So while I prefer to see the OG 16 members, if one is left out it makes sense to me that it would be Firestorm.

Love the pic and wonder where it's from. If someone tells me I will hunt down the issue right away.

Nice image.
    Posted a while back, although it had Black Lightning - http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post1834467
    Wish I had a link to the artist.
    Also shows the Avengers line-up of that same era.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post

Love the pic and wonder where it's from. If someone tells me I will hunt down the issue right away.
    It's definitely fan art, not from an issue.
    Or rather she is a professional, but it was done as a fan.

Edit :
    Found it, Elena Casagrande
    Beautiful work - https://elena-casagrande.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-08-2018 at 05:23 PM.

I have some of the satellite years JLA title's and loved that era the best do you that DC will ever revisit that idea or just keep up with the several JL titles.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Nicely put together Lee Stone!
    Plus going left to right if I am not mistaken, after the original Mag-7, you put them all in their proper order of when they joined the League, to the end of the Satellite Era. Is that right?

LOL I did exactly that!
    The standout is Elongated man, who really is in the wrong era costume.
    I can see why, he's in allot of the JLGLopez style guides but tends to be in the background.
    Maybe the creative Lee Stone can extract him from here?
    Although not the best pose, Not sure how this is done - https://i.imgur.com/OUMytUI.jpg

My only (minor) objection is that during that era, Dick Grayson should have been Robin, not Nightwing. Dick only became Nightwing at the very tail end of that era. For most of it, he was still Robin.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It'd be really interesting after No Justice to revisit the Satellite Era/Justice League Unlimited approach to the Justice League. Have a crazy-large team with story arcs that focus and highlight subsets of the team in interesting combinations. I'd add Vixen, Black Lightning, Doctor Light, Fire, Ice, Wonder Twins, a Robin, Rima, and new, less stereotypical, takes on Samurai, Apache Chief, and El Dorado to a Satellite Era roster. I guess it's a little bit of the Superfriends tossed in for good measure.

Even more interestingly, I'd love to see the Satellite Era villains, Legion of Doom, and/or José Luis García-López villains plus some additions banded together to counteract the League. I look at those amazing images and always wonder "what's it like when Zod and Mr. Mind disagree with one another?" or "what do Faora and Cheetah talk about?" or "how does Penguin interact with someone like Luthor or Brainiac?" Sure, use the Rebirth or post-Doomsday Clock versions of the characters, but show how the villains challenges at working together too.

I could almost read twin titles cowritten by two writers working together and sharing the perspective of the Justice League and Injustice League against one another as stories progress and the different actions taken by subsets of each team against one another.

::scratches chin and starts thinking about how that might work as two connected series::
    Last edited by WonderScott; 03-08-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Posted a while back, although it had Black Lightning - http://community.comicbookresources....=1#post1834467
    Wish I had a link to the artist.
    Also shows the Avengers line-up of that same era.

It's definitely fan art, not from an issue.
    Or rather she is a professional, but it was done as a fan.

Edit :
    Found it, Elena Casagrande
    Beautiful work - https://elena-casagrande.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Thank you. Fantastic gallery!

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    It'd be really interesting after No Justice to revisit the Satellite Era/Justice League Unlimited approach to the Justice League. Have a crazy-large team with story arcs that focus and highlight subsets of the team in interesting combinations. I'd add Vixen, Black Lightning, Doctor Light, Fire, Ice, Wonder Twins, a Robin, Rima, and new, less stereotypical, takes on Samurai, Apache Chief, and El Dorado to a Satellite Era roster. I guess it's a little bit of the Superfriends tossed in for good measure.
    Love your ideas but I think the Satellite era is almost like the opposite of JLU.

JLU is basically everybody.

Satellite League (which is also the original team in an unbroken run for 25 years) went all that time adding "only" 7 characters over a quarter century as the first two after the original 7 (GA, Atom) joined in the first year of the series. That got us up to 9. After that first year, they only added 7 more characters over the next 24 years or so. That's one new character added each 3.5 years or so which made new membership a HUGE deal.

Right up until they broke the rules that had made membership such a big deal by doing JL Detroit, which came just before Crisis, which threw all JLA history out the window and retconned it, it was highly exclusive. Then it never was again. We've had retcons ever since. Before Crisis there had never been a different roster. It was the same roster (16 at its max) over 25 years.

That it took them 24 years to get from 9 to 16 (with members like WW, MM, Hawks, GA coming and going) meant it was an extremely exclusive club and when a character joined the JLA they had "ARRIVED." That was so all the way until JL Detroit/Crisis. After that membership was not a big deal at all. Almost anyone could join. And almost everyone did.

Nowadays it's weird when we don't get new characters constantly in and out. But the Satellite League really was the "World's Greatest Heroes" and also the most popular. The wildest they got with B-to-C-list characters was adding Elongated Man, Red Tornado, Zatanna, and Firestorm. Every other member was an icon.

Apart from my misgivings over the OG team being all white, I would LOVE to have OG JLA history restored AND have a JLU team too. They just can't be the same thing because one is highly exclusive and the other is "if you have a costume, you're hired."

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    My only (minor) objection is that during that era, Dick Grayson should have been Robin, not Nightwing. Dick only became Nightwing at the very tail end of that era. For most of it, he was still Robin.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Well if you look at most of José Luis García-López style guide art, he mostly does use DG as Robin.
    Just the image you quote doesn't best represent the Satellite era, but that's not what it was created for. It was created at the very tail end of that era. So it represents what was going on at the time.
    And it's not why it was posted in this thread either(which was so Lee Stone had somewhere to potentially snag Elongated-man from for his image which used mostly García-López art.)
    Nightwing had nothing to do with it.
    So it's kind of a weird thing to "object" to, and it's not like it's fan art or some nostalgia piece misrepresenting or looking back at the era and getting it "wrong".
    That was work done at the time, and that's what Grayson looked like at the time.
    García-López was just capturing what did represent their in house style-guide going forward.
    And again it was posted for the Elongated-Man image specifically. Nightwing wasn't even part of it.

And LOL, I know you said minor objection, just it seems your post might imply García-López somehow got it wrong. I'd hate for anyone to think that.
    And wanted to make clear the context in which it was posted.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-08-2018 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I could almost read twin titles cowritten by two writers working together and sharing the perspective of the Justice League and Injustice League against one another as stories progress and the different actions taken by subsets of each team against one another.

::scratches chin and starts thinking about how that might work as two connected series::
    Love this idea though! I'd be all for this.