Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Absolutely Darkseid appearing during the 80's Bronze Age / Satellite-era; New Genesis story line, cemented him as a definitive JL villain:

This was reinforced by the Super Powers toy line and spin-off mini-series

The SF: Legendary Super Powers Show which ran concurrently

And Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians
    Are we considering the Super Powers cartoon and comic as part of The Satellite Era JL? I had really thought of those as two completely different animals.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    well, if that's the case, the satellite era introduced one of dc's major villains of all time.
    What? No!
    No, they didn't "introduce" him. Nobody suggested that.
    Not sure what you mean by that?

Darkseid's first appearance was a teas in Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134(1970)

Then full appearance in Forever People #1 (1971)

And continued to appear throughout Kirby's 4th World saga and series of books.
    That is where he was introduced and developed.
    It had nothing to do with JLA run, that was all Kirby! and his Saga. Please make that clear!

The JLA vs. Darkseid story line I mentioned and posted above, was later.
    JLA #183 Crisis on New Genesis - #184 Apokolips Now! - #185 Darkseid Rising!- story line, wasn't till 1980
    And it just borrowed the already established Kirby characters and concepts.
    This is just where JL first crossed over with them.
    Please be clear about this.

LOL Batman and Mr. Miricle peaking in the door.
    What a great team-up and cross-over.
    Everyone really should read this JLA story arc.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-21-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The best thing about The Satellite Era was that let go of the idea All Characters Must Be In Every Issue. It made all kinds of stories possible.

JL should always operate that way.
    Yeah, it was always fun to see that Roll Call at the beginning of issues. Of course, after the success of the Superman film in the late 70s, Superman would show up in every single issue. But it was still fun to see who would be working with him each month.

What? No!
    It introduced him to ME

Which I think is one of the big considerations. Fourth World/New Gods certainly came first and has a passionate set of fans... but it was always very niche comic... and honeslty I've never liked it. Superfriends/Super Powers brought those characters into the spotlight the way that the comic never did and set up Darksied as a mega villain the likes of Darth Vader and then provided toys to play with...

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if most fans were first introduced to Darksied that way.

What? No!

Then full appearance in Forever People #1 (1971)

And continued to appear throughout Kirby's 4th World saga and series of books.
    That is where he was introduced and developed.
    It had nothing to do with JLA run, that was all Kirby! and his Saga. Please make that clear!

The JLA vs. Darkseid story line I mentioned and posted above, was later.
    JLA #183 Crisis on New Genesis - #184 Apokolips Now! - #185 Darkseid Rising!- story line, wasn't till 1980
    And it just borrowed the already established Kirby characters and concepts.
    This is just where JL first crossed over with them.
    Please be clear about this.

LOL Batman and Mr. Miricle peaking in the door.
    What a great team-up and cross-over.
    Everyone really should read this JLA story arc.
    sorry. misunderstood the post of when darkseid was introduced.

Extraordinary Member

That's very cool. I never knew this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Are we considering the Super Powers cartoon and comic as part of The Satellite Era JL? I had really thought of those as two completely different animals.
    We?

As far as DC canon (like that means anything anymore), I would say no, they are separate.
    As far as Darkseid becoming perceived as a JL villain, I was talking more in the general zeitgeists.
    That as well as appearing in Crisis on New Genesis - Apokolips Now! - Darkseid Rising! story line emphasized above, the other media, cartoon, comics and toy-line is what "reinforced it".

This was reinforced by the Super Powers toy line and spin-off mini-series
    The SF: Legendary Super Powers Show which ran concurrently
    And Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians
    As far as me personally, my own head-canon merges them as I was first exposed to the cartoon and comics throughout this time.
    Although Satellite era was ending in the comic, the cartoon, and toy line somewhat continued it.

As far as the Satellite era officially ending, yeah JLofA #229-230 with the destruction of the Satellite, and emergence of the Detroit League ; Justice League of America Annual #2 JLoA #233 abt. 1984.
    My understanding is the Satellite Era ended around 1984-85 with the reintroduction of J'onn J'onzz, starting with JLA #228 Which marked the start of the end of the Satellite.

.... till the Satellite had been destroyed, #230 leading to the break up of the team
    ....To Justice League of America Annual #2

Which ended the Satellite era, and oficially introduced Vixen, Vibe, Gypsy, and Steel as the new team.

Their arrival is what marking the end of the Satellite Era.
    And beginning of the new era with #233

Last edited by Güicho; 12-04-2018 at 08:04 AM.

just thought of this, how about felix faust? can he be considered as a satellite era villain?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    just thought of this, how about felix faust? can he be considered as a satellite era villain?
    Faust was created during the Silver Age, yet appears as recurring villain throughout the Satellite era, so I don't see why not.
    I mean this was still the main ongoing JL title, that didn't change, just their location, so villains were going to recur, just as the heroes we number as part of the Satellite did. I'm not sure what line people are drawing?
    Unless they mean just villains who debuted (were created) specifically during the satellite era, then that's a different question. I think those were listed a while back.
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-05-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

He was created during the Silver Age, yet appears as recurring villain throughout the Satellite era, so I don't see why not.
    I mean this was still the main ongoing JL title, that didn't change, just their location, so villains were going to recur, just as the heroes we number as part of the Satellite already did. I'm not sure what line people are drawing?
    Unless they mean just villains who debuted (were created) specifically during the satellite era, then that's a different question. I think those were listed a while back.
    If we're going with this, then I vote for Despero. He appeared in JLofA #1 and was recurring through the Satellite era and even through the Detroit era and Giffen's JLA. To me, either he or Starro is the ultimate JLA villain.

Last edited by caj; 12-05-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Yeah, it was always fun to see that Roll Call at the beginning of issues. Of course, after the success of the Superman film in the late 70s, Superman would show up in every single issue. But it was still fun to see who would be working with him each month.
    I agree. As the team expanded, it took on more of a Legion of Super-Heroes tactic of not featuring every hero on every mission. I liked the recent first issue of Justice League, because it seemed to suggest that the team was expanding-- as it included a lot of characters not part of the core team. But then it just settled in on the same lineup every issue. Dullsville!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I agree. As the team expanded, it took on more of a Legion of Super-Heroes tactic of not featuring every hero on every mission. I liked the recent first issue of Justice League, because it seemed to suggest that the team was expanding-- as it included a lot of characters not part of the core team. But then it just settled in on the same lineup every issue. Dullsville!
    Dullsville? That's something Snapper Carr would have said. I think you need to go to the Happy Harbor Appreciation thread instead.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Dullsville? That's something Snapper Carr would have said. I think you need to go to the Happy Harbor Appreciation thread instead.
    So after his betrayal, was Snapper ever invited up tho the Satellite?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

So after his betrayal, was Snapper ever invited up tho the Satellite?
    He was invited at one time, but decided not to go.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    If we're going with this, then I vote for Despero. He appeared in JLofA #1 and was recurring through the Satellite era and even through the Detroit era and Giffen's JLA. To me, either he or Starro is the ultimate JLA villain.

i gotta agree with this. classic villains.