Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I can agree with that.
    Gardner Fox was replaced by O'Neil on JLA after #65, which coincided with DC's 'Writers Purge' of 1968.
    Thanks so much for the link. That was fascinating reading!

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Thanks so much for the link. That was fascinating reading!
    No problem.
    Wish I had a full collection of Amazing Heroes, Comics Journal, Comics Interview and Comic Book Artist.
    People say there's no value in print magazines anymore because you can get everything quicker and easier (and mostly free) online.
    But they forget that stuff like that in print can't be edited or deleted later.

I think the only comics news site that has avoided erasing its archives or going through a major server move is Comics Continuum, where you can still read articles and solicits from as far back as 2000.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    No problem.
    Wish I had a full collection of Amazing Heroes, Comics Journal, Comics Interview and Comic Book Artist.
    People say there's no value in print magazines anymore because you can get everything quicker and easier (and mostly free) online.
    But they forget that stuff like that in print can't be edited or deleted later.

I think the only comics news site that has avoided erasing its archives or going through a major server move is Comics Continuum, where you can still read articles and solicits from as far back as 2000.
    I think you may have a few years on me (I'll be 50 in March). I remember obsessively reading Comics Journal and, more recently, Wizard (though it wasn't a place for think-pieces like Comics Journal was) and I remember picking up back issues of Amazing Heroes but the others are unfamiliar to me.

I always appreciate your posts and MajorHoy's for what they have to teach me about comic book history.

I think you may have a few years on me (I'll be 50 in March). I remember obsessively reading Comics Journal and, more recently, Wizard (though it wasn't a place for think-pieces like Comics Journal was) and I remember picking up back issues of Amazing Heroes but the others are unfamiliar to me.

I always appreciate your posts and MajorHoy's for what they have to teach me about comic book history.
    I enjoy talking about the history.

Comic Book Artist was a later publication. I think early 90s? It was by Twomorrows, I believe.
    Comics Interview was running about the same time as Comics Journal, and its main focus was just long, in-depth, interviews that spanned many pages.

Wizard and Hero were the flashier counterparts that were more focused on hyping Image and Marvel, as well as fueling the speculators market, while eschewing the more sophisticated approach that the older publications had.

Oh, and I'll be 50... in 2021.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-24-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I was obsessed with Amazing Heroes, especially if they were interviewing DC writers or artists. I regret throwing out my collection of those issues so much.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I was obsessed with Amazing Heroes, especially if they were interviewing DC writers or artists. I regret throwing out my collection of those issues so much.
    I've been grabbing the Preview Specials when I see them at comic cons.

https://www.deviantart.com/nimeshmor...rica-707883310
    Gorgeous fan art celebrating Satellite era (starting with the Joker uncovering the Harbor Sanctuary(top left) -> to their move into the Satellite - seems to borrow some from García-López style guide, and throughout satellite run to Perez layout, but really it's own.

Anyone want to name all the villains across the back?

Or if you put together a team of essential Satellite-Ea villains, who is on your team?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-27-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post

Where is everyone from the Justice League?
    That's what we're all looking at here. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    This was probably my favorite issue of Justice League. Not a great cover, but an excellent story.

Great issue.

The Killer-Key at first unknowing glance potentially a pretty lame villain, yet here the interdimensional Keyhole premise is fantastic!, and a great visual. Like they are locked into these singularities between dimensions.
    I'm sure N.D.Tyson can find a way to rationalize it today.

It's also where this classic Dillan Satellite full cast image showcasing one of the rare Phantom Stranger appearances, posted here several times already, comes from: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post1824869

http://i.imgur.com/KA2O1Kn.jpg
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-29-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

https://www.deviantart.com/nimeshmor...rica-707883310
    Gorgeous fan art celebrating Satellite era (starting with the Joker uncovering the Harbor Sanctuary(top left) -> to their move into the Satellite - seems to borrow some from García-López style guide, and throughout satellite run to Perez layout, but really it's own.

Anyone want to name all the villains across the back?

Or if you put together a team of essential Satellite-Ea villains, who is on your team?
    What a great image! And one I've never seen before. When I see an image of the Justice League I've never seen before it's like discovering a photograph of Bob Dylan I've never seen before; it's striking because I've been so obsessive I feel I've seen them all. A great one I haven't seen is always extra pleasurable for that.

My only complaint is that Elongated Man, Red Tornado, and Zatanna are grouped with non-members/recurring guests Adam Strange and Phantom Stranger. In the images above we see an appearance for The Vigilante (the original) and for Mera but no Elongated Man to be seen, though he joined up before several that are featured prominently.
    Ralph always gets the short end of the stick.

I'll give it a go on the villains just to get it started. I see one in the top row that I don't know so there may be many. Maybe this can be a group project. Beginning with the back row which I'll call First Row, left to right [Note: this list has been modified to reflect welcome corrections from Comic-Reader Lad and our resident historian, Lee Stone. The updates are in bold so it's clear which ones I got on first try (all from memory and my memory is poor - didn't use internet or comics at all) and which ones I got corrections on.]

First Row
    Cheetah, Chronos, Captain Cold, Felix Faust, ???

Second Row
    Kobra, Mongul

Third Row
    Mammoth?, Shimmer?, Eclipso, Professor Zoom, Solomon Grundy

Fourth Row
    Ocean Master, ???, Validus, ???, Weapons Master, Darkseid, ???, ??? (this is tougher than I thought!)

Fifth Row
    Killer Frost, ???, Red Tornado?, Dr. Double-X?, Johnny Quick?, Lex Luthor, Black Manta, Mirror Master, Deadshot, Hector Hammond

Sixth Row
    Deathstroke, Amazo, Ultra Man, Power Ring, Jack (Royal Flush Gang)?, ???, Prometheus

Seventh Row
    Brainstorm, Owlman, Brainiac, Joker, Two-Face, Captain Boomerang?

Eighth Row
    Psycho Pirate, Phobia, Dr. Light, Riddler, Queen (Royal Flush Gang)?, King (Royal Flush Gang), Sinestro, Catman, ??? (nobody can get some of these--there's too little there), Clayface, Despero

Ninth Row
    ???, Dr. Polaris, Dr. Sivana, The Key, ???, ???, Kobra? (all three are so obscured they're quite tough)

Tenth Row
    ???*, Brother Blood, Catwoman, Kanjar Ro, Star Sapphire

Eleventh Row
    Ultra-Humanite, Brainwave II?, Floronic Man, Ragdoll, Eye of the Emerald Empress, Tyr

*This seems to be an alien I just read about in JLA Bronze Age Omnibus 1. Can't remember his name and sticking to my thing of not researching and instead doing from memory and participation from others. I think Denny O'Neil or Mike Friedrich wrote this character.

Off the top of my head, these feel missing though maybe I'm failing to identify them: Queen Bee, Shaggy Man, Starro, a Manhunter, Prof. Ivo, and my personal favorites Star Tsar and Dr. Destiny.

Would love to see a corrected version of my shoddy attempt to ID them all.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 10-01-2018 at 02:00 PM.

Seventh Row
    Brainwave, Owlman, Brainiac, Joker, Two-Face, Captain Boomerang?
    The first character is Brain Storm, not Brainwave.

Fourth Row
    Ocean Master, ???, The Brain?, ???, Weapons Master, Darkseid, ???, ??? (this is tougher than I thought!)
    'The Brain' appears to be Validus.

Sixth Row
    Deathstroke, Amazo, Ultra Man, Power Ring, Dr. Double-X?, Jack (Royal Flush Gang)?, ???, Prometheus
    The one after Power Ring may be Felix Faust.

Eighth Row
    Psycho Pirate, Madame Rouge (or Phobia?), Dr. Light, Riddler, Queen (Royal Flush Gang)?, King (Royal Flush Gang), Sinestro, Catman, ??? (nobody can get some of these--there's too little there), Clayface, Despero
    Definitely Phobia.

Eleventh Row
    Ultra-Humanite, Brainwave II?, Floronic Man, Ragdoll, Starro?, ???
    The last two may be the Eye of Emerald Empress and Tyr.

Off the top of my head, these feel missing though maybe I'm failing to identify them: Queen Bee, Shaggy Man, a Manhunter, Prof. Ivo, and my personal favorites Star Tsar and Dr. Destiny.

Would love to see a corrected version of my shoddy attempt to ID them all.
    That was pretty impressive. Definitely more than I could have identified.

And yeah that illustration is pretty fantastic.
    In the images above we see an appearance for The Vigilante (the original) and for Mera but no Elongated Man to be seen, though he joined up before several that are featured prominently.
    Anyone curious the SIX covers referenced across the back behind the satellite, left to right:

continued....
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-30-2018 at 06:17 AM.

They reference the two issues which bookend the transition to the Satellite.
    Some before the Satellite, and some after.
    Significance of the others?(for the characters? artist?) Any guesses?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-30-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    That's what we're all looking at here. ;-)

Great issue.

The Killer-Key at first unknowing glance potentially a pretty lame villain, yet here the interdimensional Keyhole premise is fantastic!, and a great visual. Like they are locked into these singularities between dimensions.
    I'm sure N.D.Tyson can find a way to rationalize it today.

It's also where this classic Dillan Satellite full cast image showcasing one of the rare Phantom Stranger appearances, posted here several times already, comes from: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post1824869

http://i.imgur.com/KA2O1Kn.jpg
    what are the key's powers again? did nu 52 turn him into a telepath?

does this count?