Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Is Rima a DC property? A Hannah Barberra property?

Way OT:

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Is Rima a DC property? A Hannah Barberra property?
    Rima is a Victorian -> Pulp era public domain character.
    She predates even Tarzan, and all the derivative "Jungle Girl" characters that came later.
    From the 1904 W.H. Hudson novel Green Mansions (great story FYI)

Later a 1959 film starring Audrey Hepburn

DC published a Rima comic in 1974 with beautiful art by Nestor Redondo

In 1977 Hanna Barbera looking to add more diversity/women to their JL / Super Friends along with the HB created Apache, Vulcan, Dorado and Samurai, added DC's version of Rima to the roster.

I say DC's version because there were some differences from the novel, DC's pretty much evolved into her own character. A particular image was her white Jaguar.

DC has since somewhat reworked the character into their attempt Pulp First Wave line. Again somewhat different from the original novel version, yet also closer to the original "bird-girl" aspect.

But DC doesn't (and never did) own the character outright, others can publish their own version.

Ironically Hanna Barbera had another cartoon in 1978 called Jana, which also borrows heavily from not only the Novel, but DC's version of Rima, including the whitish hair, and the white Jaguar.
    With DC/WB acquiring the Hanna Barbera library, the irony is that WB/DC actually do own this version, but don't use her.

Last edited by Güicho; 10-22-2018 at 05:36 AM.

Wrong thread, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    The show will forever make me see Batman with Robin as dual members of the JL.
    If in the comics Snapper Carr could tag along on missions, there was absolutely no reason Robin couldn't, just figured he was real busy with Teen Titans.

-----

My favorite is of course the '80 - '83 5th season whose opening forever branded in my mind that Vulcan, Apache, Samurai, and El Dorado also had to be legit members of the JL.

In the JL comics they just must have been off on a super secret deep-cover mission where it was imperative absolutely nobody talked about them or remembered them, ever . LOL!
    isn't samurai and el dorado in one of the doomsday clock dossiers? which probably mean that they've never been a part of the league during the rebirth era?

Again apologize this keeps going OT, but they did for a while run concurrently.
    JL sat-era(70-84) SF (73-86)
    Should probably answer this in the SF specific thread.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    isn't samurai and el dorado in one of the doomsday clock dossiers? which probably mean that they've never been a part of the league during the rebirth era?
    Not sure, as I mostly skip event books.
    That said, Apache at one point had the in-Universe Manitou Raven analogue, which seemes to have vanished.
    Black Vulcan was pretty much always just reworked Black Lightning, although HB/SF was much more powerful, lightning speed, lightning constructs etc. I do wish he was his own in-universe character.
    Not sure about Samurai currently, he was briefly hinted at in one panel a while back, making his in Universe debut, of course it amounted to nothing.
    And El Dorado also finally made his in Universe debut through a Suicide Squad side story, featuring the supposed Mexican-JL -
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post2875453
    Of course a nice nod, but as predicted amounted to nothing, no update to his costume, and relegating or pigeonholing him to a Mexico specific team, rather than an American or more international team, has as predicted guaranteed nobody would ever write him, or include him anywhere.

Reworking/updating them and reintroducing them into the DCU is great, but the worst thing they can do is split them up, and relegate them to their separate ethnic milieux. It near guarantees nobody will use them.
    The whole point is they were and should be on a diverse team together.
    Thy also need their alter egos developed, JLAU and Young Justice did a great job giving them youthful individual identities. Some amalgam of those, slightly older combined with updates of their identity and power, Tye Raven Long Shadow, Buster Jones) Volt, Toshio Eto Samurai-Wind-Dragon and Eduardo Dorado - Desperado, with a reworking of Rima, all on a team together, and then joined by the recently reintroduced into continuity Wonder Twins (also created by Hanna Barbera), would make for their own great team.

Although I loathed their JLAU and YJ origins, as the both made them experiments in a lab.
    If anything for them I'de use and expand on the New Genesis triggered origins from the Super Powers series comics.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-22-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Again apologize this keeps going OT, but they did for a while run concurrently.
    JL sat-era(70-84) SF (73-86)
    Should probably answer this in the SF specific thread.
    there's an appreciation thread just for the superfriends?

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    there's an appreciation thread just for the superfriends?
    There is now - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ciation-thread

Extraordinary Member

Just for fun (or maybe not fun), cut 3 members of the Satellite League and reduce it down to 12 members. Not including J'onn because he was technically never a member of the Satellite League. Not including Phantom Stranger either because his membership is based on who you ask.

Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Batman
    Green Lantern
    Flash
    Green Arrow
    Atom
    Hawkman
    Black Canary
    Elongated Man
    Red Tornado
    Hawkgirl
    Zatanna
    Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Just for fun (or maybe not fun), cut 3 members of the Satellite League and reduce it down to 12 members. Not including J'onn because he was technically never a member of the Satellite League. Not including Phantom Stranger either because his membership is based on who you ask.

Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Batman
    Green Lantern
    Flash
    Green Arrow
    Atom
    Hawkman
    Black Canary
    Elongated Man
    Red Tornado
    Hawkgirl
    Zatanna
    Firestorm

pretty easy for me. Zatanna, Firestorm and Red Tornado are my first cuts. I like the characters well enough, but when I think of 'Satellite era, iconic JLA'... they rarely get pictured.

For me, the iconic team consists of

Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Batman
    Green Lantern
    Flash
    Green Arrow
    Atom
    Hawkman

They're my 'must haves'. Black Canary teams up with Green Arrow and Green Lantern enough that I want her on the team. Hawkgirl goes where Hawkman is, so she's in. and Elongated Man and Flash make for fun buddies. So that's my team. Zatanna, Firestorm and Red Tornado... they just seem to be outliers without a solid 'connection' to the core cast.

This forum loves doing JL as a group of 12, there is a thread for it here- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post1476570
    Pretty much my default group there works here to, with a few edits from Ross: That's now Barry, Green Arrow, Aquaman and J'onzz
    That team came pretty close...

although if I could change a few, Edited some with apologies to Ross & Meltzer.

If I could. I'd add Zatanna.
    And it still works with the 12 Olympian Pantheon, added some Roman equivalent names for emphasis.

Zeus = Superman
    Hera = Wonder Woman
    Poseidon (Neptune) = Aquaman
    Hermes (Mercury) = Flash
    Apollo = Green Lantern
    Demeter Ceres) = Hawkgirl
    Ares (Mars) = J'onn J'onzz
    Artemis = Vixen
    Hephaestus (Vulcan) = Black Lightning
    Aphrodite = Black Canary
    Eros (Cupid) = Green Arrow
    Athena - Zatanna

Hades = Batman

I absolutely count J'onzz, also I'd retroactively add Lightning cause he was already a member to my eyes by way of the 82 syndicated JL Newspaper strip. https://bobmitchellinthe21stcentury....rip-chapter-1/
    Count duo Hawkaman & Hawkwoman as one, I guess swap out Vixen (who debuted 81) for Zatanna.
    Although I'd rather keep both and make Zee the mysterious never counted supernatural 13th.

And it just isn't the Satellite League without Atom and Elongated-Man too.
    So I guess I completely fail at this exercise. LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-15-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Superman
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Batman
    Green Lantern
    Flash
    Green Arrow
    Atom
    Hawkman
    Black Canary
    Elongated Man
    Red Tornado
    Hawkgirl
    Zatanna
    Firestorm
    My cuts would be
    Batman (I know, I know, but either he or GA are redundant, and Bats still has The Outsiders)
    Red Tornado (never supported a feature or title during the Satellite years)
    Superman (removing his power makes a lot more threats to the League credible)

I leave both Hawks in - even though it hypocritically breaks my redundancy argument - because they're a set I always hate to see broken up.

Astonishing Member

Which villain do you think best represent the Satellite era?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Which villain do you think best represent the Satellite era?
    Good question. Manhunters are probably the best villains they faced, but they only appear in one story block between #141 and #150.

Despero shows up a couple of times, as does Dr. Destiny and the Key.

Again, good question.

the only dr destiny story i remember is the the destiny's hand written by dan jurgens for wonder woman's justice league.

it was a twisted version of the satellite era league. it was a good story too.