Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    Ponytail Zatanna is still the best.
    Agree. I like Perez's 80s costume too but Dick Dillin's ponytail look is my favorite for sure. Never cared for the top hat and fishnet look.

Extraordinary Member

Probably the best issue that features The Phantom Stranger as a member - and a great Hawkgirl story as well.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    When I was a kid I always wished Robin would join the JLA.

Superfriends Cast full Logo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    When I was a kid I always wished Robin would join the JLA.
    SuperFriends who despite the shows name, actually were that universes JLA, even referred to themselves as the Justice League.
    Always counted Batman & Robin together as members.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    that is just cool.

look, there's even a phone on the table.
    Yep, except in those days, we called them Walkie-Talkies. And they couldn't do 99% of the things phones can do today. You were lucky if you could hear the person you were talking to.
    LOL see above, SuperFriends/Justice League actually had legit communicators.
    (well as legit as anything else on that show)

Probably the best issue that features The Phantom Stranger as a member - and a great Hawkgirl story as well.
    Please describe, and how did everyone X'd on the cover get taken out?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-09-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Please describe, and how did everyone X'd on the cover get taken out?
    It's been awhile since I read this so even though I remember the overall story, I didn't remember some of the details. It's a great issue, though. I got most of this from the jla satellite website:

http://jlasatellite.blogspot.com/200...-aug-1977.html

"The Carnival of Souls!" by Steve Englehart, Dick Dillin, and Frank McLaughlin. We open with the mysterious Count Crystal, who summons the demon Azgore, who promises the demon that, in exchange for power, he will offer up the souls of the Justice League! Azgore warns that other sorcerers have tried and failed, so Crystal had better make good on his promise, or he will pay dearly! Crystal then materializes on the JLA satellite, where his magical abilities quickly overcome Superman.

Meanwhile, the Halls, Oliver Queen, and Dinah Lance are having an evening out. Hawkgirl talks to Dinah about wanting to join the JLA when they're interrupted by Superman's JLA distress signal. They head to the satellite to find Superman...dead! The JLAers, trying to figure out what's going on, are then met at the satellite by The Phantom Stranger, who also summoned Batman and Wonder Woman. He tells them what has happened, and conducts a seance to communicate with the dear departed Kryptonian. Superman's spirit speaks through the Stranger, and he tells the JLA to "Avenge me!"

The heroes then follow the mystic trail to Rutland, Vermont(which appeared in JLA before, in #103, also guest-starring the Stranger), where they discover the Carnival of Souls, with Count Crystal there waiting for them. Meanwhile, Superman prepares to meet - and conquer - who or whatever he is facing. As Crystal puts the JLA through various death traps, he manages to "kill" the Phantom Stranger, kidnap Hawkgirl, and leave the other JLAers to battle against Crystal's supernatural army.

As the JLA fight for their lives, Crystal makes a deal with the comely Hawkgirl. If she submits to him, to be his slave, then he might spare her friends. Hawkgirl goes against every feeling she has of loyalty and devotion to her husband and agrees to be with Crystal, to save her friends lives. Crystal then gets a tad too confident, and Hawkgirl has had enough. Hawkgirl helps rescue her friends, even as Hawkman is killed by Count Crystal. When the demon Azgore returns, demanding a soul! Crystal says he gave the demon Superman, Hawkman, and the Phantom Stranger's, but since even on "the other side" the Stranger has managed to keep their souls from the demon's clutches! Azgore then does what he threatened, and takes Crystal's, who screams in agony.

The JLA wakes up in the morning, dazed but thankful they survived. Hawkman tries to delicately ask how far did Crystal get, but Hawkgirl assures him she emerged unscathed. Suddenly, an old friend appears...The Red Tornado!
    Last edited by caj; 08-20-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Agree. I like Perez's 80s costume too but Dick Dillin's ponytail look is my favorite for sure. Never cared for the top hat and fishnet look.

Me neither! I thought I was the only one that felt like that!
    Batman - Daredevil

I love the classic top-hat, tails and fishnets, yet for he stage act. For her superhero look, I do prefer the satellite era Perez designed or the updated hybrid version of it.

The one-piece, cape and collar, I associate with her mom Zindella and prefer Zatanna coming into her own. Although I would love to see her ponytail with the satellite or newer costumes.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-27-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

The one-piece, cape and collar, I associate with her mom Zindella and prefer Zatanna coming into her own. Although I would love to see her ponytail with the satellite or newer costumes.
    It's been awhile, but I'm almost positive Zatanna's mother was named Sindella with an 'S', not a 'Z'.

Here's a goodie from Limited Collectors' Edition C-46. It's hard to see the signature, but it's penciled by Terry Austin and inked by Dick Giordano.

JLA Satellite pinup.jpg
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 08-29-2018 at 01:30 PM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's a goodie from Limited Collectors' Edition C-46. It's hard to see the signature, but it's penciled by Terry Austin and inked by Dick Giordano.

JLA Satellite pinup.jpg
    That was the first time I ever saw Zatanna, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

JLA Satellite pinup.jpg
    If Hawkgirl was in the pic, it would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Here's a thought...

Who would be interested in an X-Men Forever style Satellite JLA series picking up after #232, with Flash, Supergirl, Superman and Wonder Woman returning from Earth-2 into an alternate multiverse where the Crisis doesn't happen and the League doesn't disband, Supergirl is given membership and a few issues later Vixen joins?
    Could it be a coincidence that the three heroes with Superman in this story were the three main characters killed in Crisis..?
    As a kid I grew up with the Satellite era JLA as one of my faves, I would LOVE a JLA FOREVER concept. Conway or Busiek or both as writer(s) and Perez as artist. Supergirl and Vixen makes sense and is a good move. So many possibilities with Earth 1 80s continuity and no Crisis.

Extraordinary Member

I loved the sometimes bickering that went on within the Satellite years. Green Arrow was usually involved (although not always). Also, does anyone call Superman 'Supes' anymore? I don't think so but maybe.