Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast
    Amazing Member

The satellite-era JLA didn't fight the same villain more than once very often so it's hard to think of any villains that best represent the era. Of those who did, I think a good case could be made for the Secret Society of Super-Villains.

The satellite-era was a distinctly Bronze Age era and (until the last few years), the Secret Society of Super-Villains was a distinctly Bronze Age team. And the two stories they appeared in were both memorable too (one of which also famously played an important role in a Modern Age comic: 'Identity Crisis').

Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    The satellite-era JLA didn't fight the same villain more than once very often so it's hard to think of any villains that best represent the era. Of those who did, I think a good case could be made for the Secret Society of Super-Villains.
    This is probably why the first enemies I think of are typically Darkseid and/or Legion of Doom. It's more Super friends/Super Powers than it is Comic Satellite... but the overlap is there.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Which villain do you think best represent the Satellite era?
    That question is deeply important. The JL's counter part of the times, The Avengers, have a roster of memorable adversaries (Kang, Ultron, Zemo, Nefaria, The Grim Reaper, Korvac and more). The JL simply don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That question is deeply important. The JL's counter part of the times, The Avengers, have a roster of memorable adversaries (Kang, Ultron, Zemo, Nefaria, The Grim Reaper, Korvac and more). The JL simply don't.
    that's surprising.

wait, how about despero and starro? or was that before the satellite era justice league?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    that's surprising.

wait, how about despero and starro? or was that before the satellite era justice league?
    Both predate The Satellite Era, and neither really seemed well developed as characters, nor a credible challenge to the League during The Satellite Era (later, yes, but not at the time).

As close as they ever got (IMO) were The Construct and The Manhunters.

The Construct was a brilliant villain, way ahead of its time. But they only used it in a handful of stories, and never really mined its full potential.

In a like manner, The Manhunters possessed the capability to legitimately menace The League, particularly with the idea that they'd infiltrated Earth with a vast cult. But, like The Construct, they were a single arc and then disappeared as a threat until after CoIE.

Blacula's comment about The Satellite Era League being distinctly Bronze Age is spot on. The editors and writers tended to offer single, self-contained stories, even in cases where they spread across two or three issues. They weren't thinking of the bad guys as part of the tapestry of their universe the way that Marvel began doing as early as the mid-1960s. The bad guys were just there to stir up a few problems, and then obligingly get their noggins pounded in.

I really loved JLA's villains in the Bronze Age, particularly the ones written by Englehart. Though none of these are major characters, I was smitten with Star-Tsar, Privateer, and Ultraa at least. And Dr. Destiny is one of my all-time favorite villains because seeing our heroes' dreams and nightmares was enlightening in really fun ways.

I think it's sort of unfair to compare Bronze Age JLA to Bronze Age Avengers since Avengers was behind JLA in chronology and so they hadn't already gone up against so many of their signature villains, including Starro, Kanjar Ro, Queen Bee, Royal Flush Gang, Crime Syndicate, Dr. Light, Amazo, Shaggy Man, Despero, Felix Faust, T.O. Morrow, Professor Ivo, and The Key, just to name the ones I can name off the top of my head in spite of having almost no short or long-term memory function as result of chronic illnesses.

JLA had an amazing rogue's gallery. Many of them just happened to first appear in the Silver Age rather than the Bronze Age.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I really loved JLA's villains in the Bronze Age, particularly the ones written by Englehart. Though none of these are major characters, I was smitten with Star-Tsar, Privateer, and Ultraa at least. And Dr. Destiny is one of my all-time favorite villains because seeing our heroes' dreams and nightmares was enlightening in really fun ways.

I think it's sort of unfair to compare Bronze Age JLA to Bronze Age Avengers since Avengers was behind JLA in chronology and so they hadn't already gone up against so many of their signature villains, including Starro, Kanjar Ro, Queen Bee, Royal Flush Gang, Crime Syndicate, Dr. Light, Amazo, Shaggy Man, Despero, Felix Faust, T.O. Morrow, Professor Ivo, and The Key, just to name the ones I can name off the top of my head in spite of having almost no short or long-term memory function as result of chronic illnesses.

JLA had an amazing rogue's gallery. Many of them just happened to first appear in the Silver Age rather than the Bronze Age.
    There's a long list of JL enemies, but in The Satellite Era, not necessarily a Great one.

First, an extensive list is not necessarily "amazing." A point I was trying to make earlier was that most of DC didn't view their villains as characters, with lives that helped make up the tapestry of it's environment, but only as plot elements from which to manufacture conflict. There were exceptions, Flash and GL's stories of the Silver Age in particular, but most of DC prior to 1985, including JLA, didn't pull that off

Second, almost all of the examples provided predate The Satellite Era. IMO, only two of them (Ivo and Amazon, ironically, at different times) were used to any good effect in The Satellite Era. Those that did become interesting (Queen Bee, Dr. Light, etc.) did so after The Satellite Era had passed. If there's an exception during the era, it's probably The Key's last stand, but that too was a one and done.

I do agree that there are a lot of characters to work with. Just not a deep bench of characters that made for credible threats, and who were presented in an interesting manner at that time.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

He didn't pop up often during the satellite years, but Darkseid, IMO, tops all of the ones you listed.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    He didn't pop up often during the satellite years, but Darkseid, IMO, tops all of the ones you listed.
    Did he turn up more than once in The Satellite Era? The one where he did was a corker, but I don't know that he really qualifies as a JL villain of the era.

Absolutely Darkseid appearing during the 80's Bronze Age / Satellite-era; New Genesis story line, cemented him as a definitive JL villain:

This was reinforced by the Super Powers toy line and spin-off mini-series

The SF: Legendary Super Powers Show which ran concurrently

And Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-18-2018 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This is probably why the first enemies I think of are typically Darkseid and/or Legion of Doom. It's more Super friends/Super Powers than it is Comic Satellite... but the overlap is there.
    Agree on the overlap, always imagined a hybrid of the Legion of Doom / Injustice Gang recurring Satellite era team.

https://i.imgflip.com/2mv3wc.gif

On their debut JL cover, they even reference "TV's Super Friends)

Last edited by Güicho; 12-07-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The Injustice Gang also appeared in #143:

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    The Injustice Gang also appeared in #143:

#111-#112
    Definitely Satellite-Era's recurring villain team.

They would show up later in Morrison's run, as well as Libra in Final Crisis.
    )

Later homages...
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-19-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Boisterously Confused

The best thing about The Satellite Era was that let go of the idea All Characters Must Be In Every Issue. It made all kinds of stories possible.

JL should always operate that way.

Batman ain't got enough muscle to fight Darkseid? Fine. Wait till next issue when he, The Atom and Elongated Man go after an interstate human smuggling ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Absolutely Darkseid appearing during the 80's Bronze Age / Satellite-era; New Genesis story line, cemented him as a definitive JL villain:

This was reinforced by the Super Powers toy line and spin-off mini-series

The SF: Legendary Super Powers Show which ran concurrently

And Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians
    well, if that's the case, the satellite era introduced one of dc's major villains of all time.