Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    I have the t-shirt of that! Throw in Hawkgirl and this is my favorite incarnation of the League!

Hawkgirl/woman was the most descriminated member of the Satalite Era League EVER!

Peace

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    This is the era I grew up with. By the summer of 1976 till the end of that run, I bought every issue either off the newsstand or at my LCS. Justice League of America was probably my favorite comic book then.
    This was my (foolish) Marvel only period. Now I just want to know where to start, seeing Hal admit to being a Pink Floyd fan....WOW!'

So, avoid only the Busiek? Hmmm....loved him on Avengers and Iron Man.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    This was my (foolish) Marvel only period. Now I just want to know where to start, seeing Hal admit to being a Pink Floyd fan....WOW!'
    In 1971, when rock was still considered too "subversive" a musical style for good, old-fashioned, wholesome superhero types, Hal claimed to be a Dixieland music fan when Ollie said he'd recently converted to rock 'n roll. Sounds hilariously quaint now in the era of Kanye and Drake.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    In 1971, when rock was still considered too "subversive" a musical style for good, old-fashioned, wholesome superhero types, Hal claimed to be a Dixieland music fan when Ollie said he'd recently converted to rock 'n roll. Sounds hilariously quaint now in the era of Kanye and Drake.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Psyched to try out the 70s JLA!

Astonishing Member

So, avoid only the Busiek? Hmmm....loved him on Avengers and Iron Man.
    hal was a pink floyd fan?

BANNED

hal was a pink floyd fan?
    Go to page one of the thread, and scroll down, it's somewhere in the middle-bottom. It made me smile wide. Arrow was talking about Disco lol!

Astonishing Member

Go to page one of the thread, and scroll down, it's somewhere in the middle-bottom. It made me smile wide. Arrow was talking about Disco lol!

i saw this and laughed

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Check out the Flash, killer art!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    hey, jerry ordway. haven't seen his work in a while. i don't think he worked on jla, did he?

it's funny that aquaman seems like flying here, and a lot of guys running in space.

What if... Crisis ended differently and the Satellite Era never ended..?

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    What if... Crisis ended differently and the Satellite Era never ended..?

Astonishing Member

I considered putting Captain Marvel in the line-up on that cover... but I realized that if Crisis was averted, he would still be on a different Earth.

As for why I chose the characters I did:
    1. Vixen was the only Detroit Leaguer who had previously appeared in comics, and she was created by Gerry Conway. I've always felt that one of the Detroit League's hindrances was that it had too many new and unknown characters joining at once.
    JLA (and Avengers up to about the same time) gained new members very rarely. It took them 20 years to grow to 16 members. And the members that did join were somewhat prominent.
    So, out went Gypsy, Vibe and Steel.
    2. I also think that if Supergirl hadn't died in Crisis, and if her movie had done better, she would have joined within a year of the issue she guest-starred.
    3. John Stewart had been mentioned as a reserve member in the Who's Who.... which brings us to...
    4. I wanted the new members to be analogues of the Big5 so that instead of removing them completely, as JLDetroit did, they could remain as reserve members. Since Firestorm was the last new member to join, he actually got used in my line-up as the Flash analogue.
    Batman-Nightwing (I considered Batgirl because she was popular at the time, but went with Dick because he had been in the Superfriends for forever and I thought he should join first.)
    Flash-Firestorm
    Hal Jordan-John Stewart
    Superman-Supergirl
    Wonder Woman-Vixen
    5. Atom got put in because I actually liked the design of his Sword of Atom costume and I wanted some more longtime members. With Nightwing and Vixen in the group, I didn't want to put Green Arrow and Black Canary in. And J'onn J'onzz and Red Tornado always seemed too similar in personality to me.
    6. I felt the team needed another female, and there were only two to choose from. And I had already decided against Black Canary. So Hawkwoman got put in. She also added a bit more variety in skills. It also gives an interesting variation on the Atom/Hawkman pairing.
    7. Other characters considered and why they didn't make it: Batgirl (explained above), Huntress (but decided against any non-Earth-1 characters), Booster Gold (too new at the time as he hadn't even appeared, yet, and his personality too close to Firestorm), Blue Devil (see Booster), Blue Beetle (see Huntress and Booster), Dr. Fate (Zatanna filled magic slot and see Huntress), Captain Marvel (see Huntress), Mister Miracle (came very close to being added but I didn't want to remove anyone else for him and the cover would be even more crowded), Cyborg (also very close, mainly because of his appearances in the Super Powers cartoon. However, I figured that Nightwing would eventually leave to go back and lead the Titans at some point, and I'd bring both Batgirl and Cyborg in then. So Victor got put on hold.)

Note: I changed the tint of the background because Supergirl and Hawkwoman had some yellow and needed a different background color to contrast against.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 02-18-2016 at 01:21 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.