Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Lol. I love the line up as well.

I'm trying to think who satellite era specific villains are....

I think Chokh (created by Denny O'Neil) is the first official Satellite era specific villain.
    From the story line running 78-79. Interestingly he is a pollution themed villain, don't know if he or his planet ever appeared again. It's left as a warning against pollution.
    I think this is followed by a string of new mostlly one-off non-recurring villains or already established pre-Satellite villains.
    I think Starbreaker might be the first unique recurring Satellite era villain.

Ultraa was introduced in the Satellite era, and becomes a recurring villain.

I think the Satellite era Dr. Destiny was a pretty drastic visual and thematic reinvention from the Silver Age one, becoming a Satellite era specific villain.
    I think that it's by actually referencing and reimagining the Silver Age villains, that made them the standard JL villains.
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-18-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

I think Chokh (created by Denny O'Neil) is the first official Satellite era specific villain.
    From the story line running 78-79. Interestingly he is a pollution themed villain, don't know if he or his planet ever appeared again. It's left as a warning against pollution.
    I think this is followed by a string of new mostlly one-off non-recurring villains or already established pre-Satellite villains.

I think the Satellite era Dr. Destiny was a pretty drastic visual and thematic reinvention from the Silver Age one, becoming a Satellite era specific villain.
    I think that it's by actually referencing and reimagining the Silver Age villains, that made them the standard JL villains.
    Dennis O'Neil used a lot of social activism and environmentalism in his early DC work. It pretty much defined his style at the time. I would bet that moving the team to a satellite was part of his push towards dealing more with global issues. Look at the cover to #86.

As for villains, I would add the Injustice Gang and the Secret Society of Super-Villains. The concept had been used before with the JSA and the Injustice Society but I don't think the JLA had a similar group of foes until the Satellite Era. And the idea was made even more popular with the Legion of Doom appearing on the Superfriends cartoon in the late '70s.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Classic JLA villains off the top of my head:

Starro, Kanjar Ro, Queen Bee, Dr. Light, Dr. Destiny, Despero, Royal Flush Gang, Secret Society of Super-Villains (and all its variants).

Dr. Destiny! I love the idea of dream world villain. Wish we could see him again.

Speaking of Starbreaker...

JLA #241 redux...

Last edited by Lee Stone; 03-19-2016 at 07:12 PM.

And... the return of the 80 Page Giants...

JLA #242 redux...

Astonishing Member

starbreaker is an interesting entity. a star vampire. i'd love to see him cross paths with the league again.

Spectacular Member

the guy in the top cover isn't Jack O Lantern? crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    As for villains, I would add the Injustice Gang and the Secret Society of Super-Villains. The concept had been used before with the JSA and the Injustice Society but I don't think the JLA had a similar group of foes until the Satellite Era. And the idea was made even more popular with the Legion of Doom appearing on the Superfriends cartoon in the late '70s.

True as far as teams the Crime Syndicate and Royal Flush Gang were the pre-Satellite go to teams / counterparts.
    Injustice Gang, SSoSV (who amazingly had their own book at the time) and by extension the Legion of Doom really became the iconic Satellite Era antagonist team / counterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    the guy in the top cover isn't Jack O Lantern? crazy.
    LOL! The fuel-pumps for hands should have been a giveaway. ; )
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-22-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Spectacular Member

True pre Satellite as far as teams the Crime Syndicate and Royal Flush Gang were the go to teams.
    Injustice Gang and by extension the Legion of Doom really became the iconic Satellite Era antagonist team .

Although there was plenty of reinvention throughout, I thought the question / discussion that followed was more about villains specifically created during Satellite Era.

LOL! The fuel pump hands should have been a giveaway.
    I just couldn't figure out why Jack O lantern had crazy fuel pump hands......

Anyone get (able to complete) this? - http://www.cooltoyreview.com/DCD_WW_S2_JLAsatellite.asp
    It was part of this wave of Collectible Mini Scenes pieces spread throughout the run.

I totally missed out.

Also not often referenced the SuperFriends "satellite" of sorts:

Last edited by Güicho; 05-11-2016 at 07:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

Last edited by silly; 05-06-2016 at 05:43 PM.

I love this era I have some of the back issue's but not all.and it's funny I justed started a post about why they didn't do a 12 team of TITANS and it was kicked down by several people saying smaller teams are better cause it's hard to write for a large team.my answer to that is well maybe you're in the wrong line of work.it can and has been done.and I wish that the JUSTICE LEAGUE will go back and start utilizing other heroes in the DC UNIVERSE in the LEAGUE such as =MARY MARVEL=DR LIGHT=ELEMENT WOMAN=MOON MAIDEN=NIGHTSHADE=NEGATIVE WOMAN=SKYROCKET=CELCIUS=FIREHAWK=ICE MAIDEN=MERA=FAITH=LOOKER=MAXIMA=BLACK ALICE=ISIS=WITCHFIRE for the women and BRONZE TIGER=RICHARD DRAGON KUNG FU FIGHTER=OMAC=ULTRAA=VARTOX=COLDCAST=LIGHTRAY=MUHAM MAD X=STARMAN(WILL)=GEO FORCE=CPT COMET=MINDWARP=SEBASTIAN FAUST for the men.so man great and powerful heroes out their in limbo not being put to use.

Astonishing Member

somehow i always thought the satellite was a bit bigger.

Sometimes, the satellite looked bigger :
    http://firestormfan.com/images/jla1_179p04.jpg