Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Default Are there bad characters in fiction as in they were bad ideas?

It's most common in comic books but it can also be movies, tv shows, books and other forms of fiction.

When I say bad characters as in characters that are bad ideas and no writer no matter how great the writer is can't make them a good idea.
    It doesn't mean they can't be made a successful character but if one has to change 60 percent of a character or most of it that they are barely recognizable then it's basically admitting they are a failure that needed a makeover much like the bars in the tv show bar rescue need a makeover along with changes.

Paste pot Pete
    He must have been high, drunk, Delusional or all three to believe this wasn't a garbage or putrid name and used it. There is further undeniable evidence it was putrid whenever spider man reminds him he once used this putrid name which pisses him off.
    Also spider man laughed when he first introduced himself.

The answer is "Deathcry".
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Rick Jones.

I started out by reading Marvel Masterwork hardcovers back in the early 90's, and that little punk was EVERYWHERE. Never saw the point of him.

It's hard to believe that anyone ever thought Scrappy Doo was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    I still have a soft spot for Scrappy, even though everyone else despises him.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Malcolm Janus, from the TV version of The Dead Zone. Never before had I seen a secondary character completely ruin an entire series.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    I liked Scrappy in the Boo Brothers movie.

I like Paste Pot Pete.

BANNED

DC's original stab at a black superhero with his own book was a black hero who was secretly a white racist called The Black Bomber. Tony Isabella, who convinced them to make something less howlingly offensive by creating Black Lightning, explains:

I will say that I created Black Lightning after convincing DC not to publish another "black" super-hero on which they had started work. The Black Bomber was a white bigot who, in times of stress, turned into a black super-hero. This was the result of chemical camouflage experiments he'd taken part in as a soldier in Vietnam. The object of these experiments was to allow our [white] troops to blend into the jungle.

In each of the two completed Black Bomber scripts, the white bigot risks his own life to save another person whom he can't see clearly (in one case, a baby in a stroller) and then reacts in racial slur disgust when he discovers that he risked his life to save a black person. He wasn't aware that he had two identities, but each identity had a girlfriend and the ladies were aware of the change. To add final insult, the Bomber's costume was little more than a glorified basketball uniform.

http://www.proudrobot.com/hembeck/blacklightning.html

So, yep, I'd say bad characters are very possible.
    Last edited by Shawn Hopkins; 10-07-2014 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Really come on this I strongly disagree with.
    He was meant to be the antithesis of scooby doo.

While scooby doo is a big dog he's still afraid and Is known for running for danger. Its basically like he's the dog version of the cowardly lion.
    Scrappy is small in size but is brave, and often he needs to be carried away from danger. He's the dog version of Mighty Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Honestly, I think Scrappy is just one of those characters who is hated because it's popular to hate him. In fact, from what I hear he actually saved the show from cancellation. I think that Scrappy kind of put a really bright spotlight on how dumb it was that the gang kept running away from monsters that were revealed to be losers in costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    DC's original stab at a black superhero with his own book was a black hero who was secretly a white racist called The Black Bomber. Tony Isabella, who convinced them to make something less howlingly offensive by creating Black Lightning, explains:

I will say that I created Black Lightning after convincing DC not to publish another "black" super-hero on which they had started work. The Black Bomber was a white bigot who, in times of stress, turned into a black super-hero. This was the result of chemical camouflage experiments he'd taken part in as a soldier in Vietnam. The object of these experiments was to allow our [white] troops to blend into the jungle.

In each of the two completed Black Bomber scripts, the white bigot risks his own life to save another person whom he can't see clearly (in one case, a baby in a stroller) and then reacts in racial slur disgust when he discovers that he risked his life to save a black person. He wasn't aware that he had two identities, but each identity had a girlfriend and the ladies were aware of the change. To add final insult, the Bomber's costume was little more than a glorified basketball uniform.

http://www.proudrobot.com/hembeck/blacklightning.html

So, yep, I'd say bad characters are very possible.
    You know the damn chump the penny plunder.
    Dc decides to rewrite that coin was used by two face in a attempt to kill him. Also dc decided to write this damn chump out of existence for the new dc mainstream continuity or new 52. It's as if dc is so damn embarrassed that they ever created this guy as if he's that horrid movie you saw but were optimistic it would be good or great but turned out not to just be abysmal but also one that also one of the worst movies of the year.

You can't say that for many other bad character was either they stop getting used, or are killed off.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Rusty from Major Crimes on TNT. The Closer was an entertaining police procedural, so I had big hopes for Major Crimes. What genius thought that the only thing missing from the show was a whining teenage asshat who hangs around the police station being a whining teenage asshat?

Also, Wesley Crusher.

Plenty. Black Talon and Tyroc, for example.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    The answer is "Deathcry".
    I'm unfamiliar with that character what warrants him or her?

Please give reasons as to why in explaining why you or anyone else believes said character to be a bad character.