Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Plenty. Black Talon and Tyroc, for example.
    In retrospect, Tryoc is a pretty silly character.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Jar Jar Binks

You laugh but is there a way to do his character well without making him a completely different character?

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Jar Jar Binks

You laugh but is there a way to do his character well without making him a completely different character?

I so believe he was made to be a comic relief.
    Walrus of spider man was intentionally created to be lame., so was the condiment king, etc.

Obvious exceptions are characters that were intentionally created to be lame or a comic relief so there for they shouldn't be called bad characters. The two above are examples.

Hindsight Lad
    He's the Monday morning qb that's doesn't get payed for it at all as He can tell you what you did wrong and how you could have defeated the foe yet can't freakin so the same damn thing before the fight happens. So he may be the most amazing useless failure for super heroes with a damn useless reactive power.

BANNED

Jar Jar Binks

In all truth, if he was a slightly more competent character he would be many degrees better. Really C3P0 is the Jar Jar concept done right. You can be bumbling an not completely inept.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I liked Scrappy in the Boo Brothers movie.
    It's one of my favorite movies. Leave this place, LEAVE THIS PLACE?

Quote Originally Posted by lancerman View Post
    In all truth, if he was a slightly more competent character he would be many degrees better. Really C3P0 is the Jar Jar concept done right. You can be bumbling an not completely inept.
    And C3PO has the advantage of not being an embarrassing racial stereotype disguised as an alien.

BANNED

Can you imagine if Tony Isabella hadn't stopped DC from making their first black superhero a white racist?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    In retrospect, Tryoc is a pretty silly character.
    He is an angry young soul brother with a magical voice.
    They were quite popular in the 70s.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

foxley should note:

And C3PO has the advantage of not being an embarrassing racial stereotype disguised as an alien.
    He kind of was, it's just that no one seems to care if you make fun of the British.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

the4thpip calls up timing:

Can you imagine if Tony Isabella hadn't stopped DC from making their first black superhero a white racist?
    He might not have had to deal with that if the two previous candidates hadn't been "white-washed" before publication (Joshua and Ferro Lad).
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

the4thpip is only looking at the good parts:

He is an angry young soul brother with a magical voice.
    They were quite popular in the 70s.
    I don't think Issac would have been too happy with the "Oh, we have all you people on an extra-dimensional island now!" part.

Also please put on these white Peter Pan boots...
    'Dox out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with that character what warrants him or her?
    She was a hopelessly derivative combination of unfortunate '90s tropes.

Invincible Member

I never read Tyroc's first appearance, but he seemed to me one of those characters that could be revamped without too much effort. Just dial back the "angry black youth" trope and give him a new costume. I think he could work as well as any "sonic scream" hero.

BANNED

Jar Jar Binks

He was there for the kids, just like the Ewoks. He helped bring a whole new generation of children into the Star Wars fold, in a day where there are Harry Potters and Hunger Games to compete with (a lot more to compete with than in the '70s). Without his help it's possible the movies wouldn't have done as well as they did with younger viewers. Also the criticism from jaded, hipster fans attacking Lucas for not pandering to them but instead taking the smart play and going for the larger audience seemed to get under his skin. This may have had the dual benefit of making him want to move on from the franchise (thus being open to selling it) while also making the Star Wars franchise more appealing to Disney (who is one of the few entities large enough to be able to afford it).

Without Jar-Jar, it's possible (not guaranteed, but possible) we don't get JJ Abrams making new Star Wars films. Or any of the other Star Wars movies we're going to get. We're undoubtedly better off with Disney owning the Star Wars franchise (if for no other reason, and there will be many reasons in the coming years, than Mark Waid on a Star Wars ongoing comic) than we are if Lucas still owned them. And I truly believe Jar-Jar was part of that separation. Moy moy maxi-okeyday, that Jar-Jar.

"Paste pot Pete: He must have been high, drunk, Delusional or all three to believe this wasn't a garbage or putrid name and used it. There is further undeniable evidence it was putrid whenever spider man reminds him he once used this putrid name which pisses him off.
    Also spider man laughed when he first introduced himself."

I've never had a problem with the character, or his admitedly silly name. I mean, come on! This is in the tradition of all those "ridiculous" villains that populated FIGHTING AMERICAN in the early 50s. And, from the SAME writer. And try to remember, Pete started out as a JOHNNY STORM villain (not a Spider-Man villain). This isn't the F.F., this is the far more light-hearted SPINOFF show!

One of Johnny's "arch-enemies" was The Wizard, a brilliant scientist & inventor who had everything anyone could possibly want-- intelligence, success, money, fame-- and only turned to crime because he was JEALOUS of a teenager. Really. That would be like if Cher became a super-villain because she was jealous of Britney Spears.

One of THE highlights of the JOHNNY STORM series was the 1st time Pete teamed up with The Wizard. They broke jail together, but instead of being partners, The Wizard kept talking DOWN to Pete and trying to treat him like a LACKEY, while talking him to death. Dick Ayers wrote that one, from a Kirby idea. It was hilarious! And not the sort of thing you'd seen in the F.F. book.
    ST 110_cc_BP_HK.jpg
    Last edited by Henry R. Kujawa; 10-08-2014 at 11:33 AM.