Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Yeah, it was just after Crisis, and a lot of the writers/editors wanted time to re-establish their characters before putting them in the Justice League. I think Giffen remarked he thought Denny O'Neil felt sorry for them because everyone else turned them down, so he left them use Batman.

Eventually, many of the big guns actually did make it in their way to the League, but they mostly played the role of supporting cast.
    And Superman, Aquaman and Green Lantern weren't allowed in until after Giffen & DeMatteis finished their run.

Astonishing Member

Also, a good example of making a book work *despite* all the editorial politics.

"Oops Perez didn't approve Wonder Woman. Now we have to take back Black Canary. Booster Gold's series needs sales, can you stick him in?" etc.

They dealt with rotating casts, was involved in almost every big DC crossover, editorially mandated members, etc. And they made it all work into
    one of the most brilliant runs ever.

I think Animal man's membership was probably the weakest point., He joined briefly did nothing and left a few issues later.

But at least he did it all on panel. A few of the bigger names just stopped show up entirely without any justification.

All-New Member

Have a question for you guys. I've bought all 6 volumes of this run that were released and I know DC cancelled the rest of the collected editions. I'm wondering then what issues would I be looking at picking up in floppies to complete their run? I'm just a bit confused about the renaming/renumbering of the title

Quote Originally Posted by Zappster View Post
    Have a question for you guys. I've bought all 6 volumes of this run that were released and I know DC cancelled the rest of the collected editions. I'm wondering then what issues would I be looking at picking up in floppies to complete their run? I'm just a bit confused about the renaming/renumbering of the title
    Let's see... with the six trades you should have JLI/A #1-35, Annual #1-3 and JLE #1-11.
    That leaves JLI (then called Justice League America #36-60, Annual #4-5, JLE #12-36, Annual #1-2, JLI Special #1 (featuring Mister Miracle), 2 (featuring Huntress), JL Quarterly #1-6.
    Also Mister Miracle #1-28 is recommended. Giffen & DeMatteis launched the title and it ran during their tenure on JLI. It was a bit like a superhero Bewitched with Scott and Barda trying to live normal lives.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Let's see... with the six trades you should have JLI/A #1-35, Annual #1-3 and JLE #1-11.
    That leaves JLI (then called Justice League America #36-60, Annual #4-5, JLE #12-36, Annual #1-2, JLI Special #1 (featuring Mister Miracle), 2 (featuring Huntress), JL Quarterly #1-6.
    Also Mister Miracle #1-28 is recommended. Giffen & DeMatteis launched the title and it ran during their tenure on JLI. It was a bit like a superhero Bewitched with Scott and Barda trying to live normal lives.
    Thanks. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappster View Post
    Thanks. Much appreciated.
    No problem at all. Happy huntin'.

For those that don't venture into the New Dawn thread, here's my mock-up JLI as the Superfriends covers.
    I figured that if the team couldn't be called Justice League anymore, Superfriends would be more fitting, seeing that it's more of a respected name than "Super Buddies" and both Fire and Ice (sorta) were introduced in the original comics.

So, in celebration of the greatest League, ever...

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Last edited by Lee Stone; 12-07-2014 at 12:47 AM.

BANNED

Those are some pretty cool covers!

BANNED

I really liked how B:BATB handled the JLI. I wish that could've been THE show. Seeing the interactions between those characters, was like it leaped right off the page.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Yeah, it was just after Crisis, and a lot of the writers/editors wanted time to re-establish their characters before putting them in the Justice League. I think Giffen remarked he thought Denny O'Neil felt sorry for them because everyone else turned them down, so he left them use Batman.
    Yeah, it was in the introduction to the first collected volume of this League era.

51TZKS3Y2SL.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by True Herald View Post
    Those are some pretty cool covers!
    Thanks. I'll post future ones here, too.