Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gen V on Prime

Default Gen V on Prime

They are up to Episode 5 and I have been enjoying it, it has The Boys over the top humor and grossness (with some weird scenes involving penises) and unlike The Boys, some characters you may like.

I have gone back 4 months and see no thread about this show. Curious that there is no discussion, since it is the comics' based Boys Universe.,
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I've been watching, but not caught up. I think it's fine, but so far it's just "okay." The fame satire is fine, but pretty expected, the superhero satire isn't new either if you've been watching "The Boys," I like the characters well enough, but none of them really stand out to me or have really caught my interest. The plot is okay, but nothing new either. I think I would have preferred a show about the regular day-to-day life at God U rather than this conspiracy plot, but I'm sticking with it.

Also, I think they rely too much on gross sex stuff. You kinda become numb to it after awhile. And the whole, "getting out of sticky situations with a Supe by having embarrassing footage of them" is played out. They need a new plot device to get themselves out of situations.

I'm up to ep 3. I mean...its ok, the acting by the young cast is ok. The actress for the supe with the shrinking powers when she throws up is probably the best. Patrick Schwarzenegger easily smokes them all though, I need to see more of his roles elsewhere didn't know he was that good.

I'm along for the ride.

Random thought - I kinda wish the climax of Ep 1 with Golden Boy happened in Ep 3 instead so that we had more time getting to know him and had more time investigating "the woods" beforehand rather than after. I think it would've been more surprising that way.

It's fine so far.

As others mentioned, just a lot of shock value with some clever commentary, but I can't see myself attached to any particular character so far. Maybe Emma.

Astonishing Member

Patrick Schwarzenegger has more talent than his father. He will never that big (but who will), but he is a very promising actor.

I always had the impression that it is forbidden to show erected penises in TV, but in EP 1 we have that. Did that change with streaming?

Ultimate Member

Beyond the gore and shock value, the story so far isn't great IMO.

It's a little,basic even with the revelations.

Astonishing Member

The overall story is being handled ok I think. They are starting to have more development for the characters each episode. I mean compared to the Boys even each of the main cast has been given a start at development at least. It took us 3 seasons to get any development for side characters like Black Noir at all. I like how they are giving us a broad chance to know them all.

The main plot of the woods is at least interesting in general. The purpose of "The woods" project makes perfect sense in the Boys world. It is definitely something Vaught in general would want to do and be interested in. Maybe the only thing missing here is a Significant main villain? But in this world he would have to be below the radar of the 7 and not reach the level of attracting Homelander's attention. But, for right now the challenge of the students figuring everything out, navigating the roadblocks being thrown their way to stop them interfering in the Woods timeline works well enough.

I think the villain is Vaught and the world they created, which is so different than what the public thinks. Obviously Dean Shelly is the main baddie in this so far, but she is just a piece in the corrupt Vaught machine.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Pretty good show. The correlation of the super kids' horrible parents vs. those ones on our reality TV dressing up their little girls into pedophile fantasies is deliberate, IMHO.

The dean's estranged daughter is Victoria isn't it. She's going to appear at some point since she was in the commercials for the show.

Also, over under on Edgar being Marie's benefactor that the dean mentioned? It's someone with enough juice to make Marie off limits to that evil doctor.

Also, not sure how, maybe in a flashback, but spoilers:
    Jensen Ackles as Soldier Boy
    end of spoilers is gonna appear in at least one ep.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Patrick Schwarzenegger has more talent than his father. He will never that big (but who will), but he is a very promising actor.

I always had the impression that it is forbidden to show erected penises in TV, but in EP 1 we have that. Did that change with streaming?
    Maybe because streaming and/or because it's "animated"/CGI/not a real penis? Can't say I ever heard of that rule, but wouldn't doubt it (at least for USA audiences).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Maybe because streaming and/or because it's "animated"/CGI/not a real penis? Can't say I ever heard of that rule, but wouldn't doubt it (at least for USA audiences).
    I don't think streaming has any of the same rules as broadcast tv.

Going back to the premiere episode when Emma is hooking up with Liam, was the giant penis real or CGI?

Fazekas: We have a practical, five-foot penis and we enhanced it with visual effects.

Kripke: It’s not our style to CG a penis. I think it’s important for verisimilitude that we create these penises practically. When we were writing the pilot, that scene, as shocking as it is, is about Emma’s self- esteem. It’s about being goaded and pressured into doing something sexually that she’s not comfortable with, and that really costs her something. Again, we’re never like, “Hey, we blew up a dick in ‘The Boys’ so let’s have a tiny person climb a dick in this one.” We’re always talking about, “She’s going through it” and this was a bold way to dramatize that.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Beyond the gore and shock value, the story so far isn't great IMO.

It's a little,basic even with the revelations.
    That's got a lot to do with that they based the premise on a seriously garbage arc of the comic in question.

Kripke: It’s not our style to CG a penis. I think it’s important for verisimilitude that we create these penises practically. When we were writing the pilot, that scene, as shocking as it is, is about Emma’s self- esteem. It’s about being goaded and pressured into doing something sexually that she’s not comfortable with, and that really costs her something.
    Hmm.... where have I seen that scenario before? Oh yeah - the first episode of "The Boys" as well! Just another example of stuff in this show seeming familiar. (I mean, Sam hiding out in a drive-in talking to puppets just makes me think of Black Noir hiding out in that Chuck-E-Cheese analog talking to cartoons)