Page 547 of 827 FirstFirst ... 47447497537543544545546547548549550551557597647 ... LastLast
Results 8,191 to 8,205 of 12392

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    Hal Jordan, the Question, Wally West, and Hawkman are pretty well-known conservatives. Zatanna and the Atom also probably count. Green Arrow is the furthest left-wing you can find in comics as he reaches hippie levels. Which is ironic because he was super angry when his sidekick took drugs. Rorschach and Judge Dredd are probably the biggest conservatives.

Politics in comics, like in real life, are often complicated and depend on the person. Hawkman is a super conservative but a giant environmentalist. While Barry Allen and Wonder Woman are mostly liberal, they support the death penalty like Wally West. Daredevil is a devout catholic and never kills but regularly dates actual killers.

Thats why i said socially liberal. Wasnt talking about political leanings. On most social issues a majority(not all but most) Heores will be liberal. Pro enviorment, LBGTQ rights,entitlement programs,hellcare etc....while its not commonplace in america there are socially liberal conservatives. Libertarians are moslty socialy liberal. Though for some its more about GVmnt staying out of it then it is about those actual issue.

But on a large scale alot of artists especially in the Comic world are liberals. So of course things are gonna lean that way. Marvel usualy keeps politics out of it. Captain america should be a conservative but hes defiently socially liberal and politicaly marvel makes it so you can tell one way or another. Which is smart you have readers from all over the spectrum. You dont want to alienate them.

But yea i wasnt saying almost all heroes are liberal democrats. I was just reffering to social issues.

Curious about Zatanna and Atom though. What did they do to make you feel they might lean that way? Dont really know much about either beyond the basics.

Also, I'm pretty bummed how they've chosen Elongated Man over Plastic Man. O'Brien is much more complex as a character.
    I enjoy Plastic Man, but I think Ralph deserves some love too .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Thats why i said socially liberal. Wasnt talking about political leanings. On most social issues a majority(not all but most) Heores will be liberal. Pro enviorment, LBGTQ rights,entitlement programs,hellcare etc....while its not commonplace in america there are socially liberal conservatives. Libertarians are moslty socialy liberal. Though for some its more about GVmnt staying out of it then it is about those actual issue.

But on a large scale alot of artists especially in the Comic world are liberals. So of course things are gonna lean that way. Marvel usualy keeps politics out of it. Captain america should be a conservative but hes defiently socially liberal and politicaly marvel makes it so you can tell one way or another. Which is smart you have readers from all over the spectrum. You dont want to alienate them.

But yea i wasnt saying almost all heroes are liberal democrats. I was just reffering to social issues.

Curious about Zatanna and Atom though. What did they do to make you feel they might lean that way? Dont really know much about either beyond the basics.
    The Atom is best friends with Hawkman and he agrees with the right to arm yourself. Or at least, giving a stored weapon to your ex-wife for protection. The fact Zatanna mind-wiped villains to protect her friends and family is the biggest reason why I would assume she's more right-wing.

On another note: I think Nightwing was established as Christian conservative during a run.

BANNED

On another note: I think Nightwing was established as Christian conservative during a run.
    By Chuck Dixon, who has finally succumbed completely to the brain eater.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08...rough-diamond/
    Last edited by Carabas; 08-01-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

[QUOTE=Frontier;2984077]Hartley Sawyer (Saving The Human Race, SPiN) will be playing Ralph Dibny/The Elongated Man.

Huh, I was picturing someone somewhat older, but that's me. (Shrugs).

Retired

Hartley Sawyer is five years older than Grant Gustin. I'm glad they didn't make Ralph Dibny much older like they did with Snapper Carr. Ralph and Barry should be close together in age.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Hartley Sawyer is five years older than Grant Gustin. I'm glad they didn't make Ralph Dibny much older like they did with Snapper Carr. Ralph and Barry should be close together in age.
    Yeah, don't see any problem here. You could have probably said there was an age difference that size between 'em in the Silver Age and not have to strain too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Yeah, don't see any problem here. You could have probably said there was an age difference that size between 'em in the Silver Age and not have to strain too hard.
    Oh, dear; it wasn't my intention to upset people. I apologize.

I was picturing late 30's, than early 30's, because the art I've seen of Ralph, he looks late 30's, but then again, art is opinionated (heh-heh).

I apologize again.

Retired

I wasn't upset, so don't worry about it. In the comics, prior to Flashpoint Ralph was supposed to be a contemporary of Barry's who had survived the incidents of the Crisis that had killed Barry. So by that logic he was much older than Wally--you could even imagine that he aged in the in-between time that Barry was supposed to be dead. Thus, he would look older.

But all that was erased with Flashpoint in the comics. And on the TV show, we're only in the fourth year of Barry's career as the Flash. So that argues that Ralph should be de-aged, as well. In fact, when Ralph first shows up in THE FLASH No. 112 (April-May '60), he's a rather brash character contrasted with level-headed Barry--the Flash even suspects the Elongated Man is a crook. So in those early stories, Dibny seems a few years younger than the Scarlet Speedster.

Thank you and thank you for explaining!

Well, I think one thing looking up for this season is that the creators seem to be taking the issues of the past season into account (the constant drama, all the time-traveling, the nonsensical parts of the Savitar storyline) and going "Back-to-basics" for this season in a similar regard to Arrow season 5.

The Atom is best friends with Hawkman and he agrees with the right to arm yourself. Or at least, giving a stored weapon to your ex-wife for protection. The fact Zatanna mind-wiped villains to protect her friends and family is the biggest reason why I would assume she's more right-wing.

In america where these comics take place the right to arm yourself isnt a right thing. Its an American thing. Also i have a feeling they dont think people need Assault rifles and high capacity magazines and would support background checks(like a vast majority of americans). I dont think there is a serious politican calling for a ban on guns. You have famous far lefters like Bernie Sanders and Bill Maher who both own and like Guns. And im not seeing the angle on Zatanna wiping memorys. Jonn did that on supergirl and that whole show is as left as you can get.

Dick grayson is against Gay rights, womens right to choose and denys climate change?
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 08-03-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I think one thing looking up for this season is that the creators seem to be taking the issues of the past season into account (the constant drama, all the time-traveling, the nonsensical parts of the Savitar storyline) and going "Back-to-basics" for this season in a similar regard to Arrow season 5.
    Plus a non-speedster antagonist in the Thinker. It'll be good if the writers don't draw out an villain identity reveals, as that was really annoying last season. It takes a hugely satisfying reveal to live up to all the hype, and the Savitar reveal was more of a "how?"

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Plus a non-speedster antagonist in the Thinker. It'll be good if the writers don't draw out an villain identity reveals, as that was really annoying last season. It takes a hugely satisfying reveal to live up to all the hype, and the Savitar reveal was more of a "how?"
    I still dont get it lol. Hopefully the thinker is done well though.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Yeah, I don't think they're going to bother hiding the identity of the Thinker, at least from the audience and maybe the heroes, since they've already mentioned his name to Team Flash last season.

I'm curious though, that it sounds like they're going with the Golden Age take on the Thinker rather then the Post-Crisis digitized version, though I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually evolves into that form later into the season.