Page 746 of 827 FirstFirst ... 246646696736742743744745746747748749750756796 ... LastLast
Results 11,176 to 11,190 of 12392

Double post
    Last edited by zinderel; 06-09-2020 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Double post, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It sucks to see when someone loses their job over something they said almost a decade ago. Like people can't change and their lives remain static.
    I think it all depends on who they are ten years later.

James Gunn said some TERRIBLE stuff on twitter years ago. I see a lot of people comparing Hartley’s situation to his, and the comparison just doesn’t stand up. The key difference is that James Gunn had apologized YEARS before his past tweets got brought up. The far right propagandists who brought up James’ tweets in an effort to silence an outspoken critic of the current administration conveniently left that part out of their entirely manufactured outrage, and initially cost Gunn his job. However, upon looking at the timeline of Gunn’s life SINCE that post, at who he is now versus who he appeared to be back then, and at the caliber of person complaining about Gunn and why? Disney was satisfied that he was not the monster that far right agitators wanted him to be, and rehired him.

Perhaps Hartley Sawyer also apologized for these awful tweets (which are leaps and bounds worse than anything I recall from Gunn) made when he was a ‘young‘ fully grown adult who should have known better. But hey...we all do stupid things in our twenties, right? Can’t hold the things he said then against him now!! But the thing is, no apology has come out yet, and there is, as of yet, no evidence that he HAS changed as a person.

But that’s the thing about freedom of speech that right wing, bigoted jerks often forget: we are free to say WHATEVER we like. But we are NOT free from reasonable consequences for those things we say. Scream fire in a theater, you risk arrest. Shout the N-word in Harlem, or the F-word In Castro, and you will get smacked down. And you will deserve it. What happened to Hartley is of his own making. He thought being a racist, misogynistic edgelord was fun, and at the time it probably was! For him and his white Bros, anyhow...

But now, he’s reaping what he sowed. And he deserves it. I have no pity for racists, misogynists, and/or homophobes when their own words and actions cost them money and fame and clout.
    Last edited by zinderel; 06-09-2020 at 01:02 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post

James Gunn said some TERRIBLE stuff on twitter years ago. I see a lot of people comparing Hartley’s situation to his, and the comparison just doesn’t stand up. The key difference is that James Gunn has apologized YEARS before his past tweets got brought up. The propagandists who brought I up conveniently left that part out of their manufactured outrage, and cost Gunn his job. However, upon looking at timelines and who he is now versus who he appeared to be back then, Disney was satisfied that he was not the monster that right wing agitators wanted him to be, and rehires him.

Perhaps Hartley Sawyer also apologizes for these awful tweets (which are leaps and bounds worse than anything I recall from Gunn) made when he was ‘young’. But that hasn’t come out yet, and there is, as of yet, no evidence that he HAS changed.

But that’s the wonderful thing about freedom of speech that right wing, bigoted jerks often forget: we are free to say WHATEVER we like. But we are NOT free from reasonable consequences for those things we say. Scream fire in a theater, you risk arrest. Shout the N-word in Harlem, or the F-word In Castro, and you will get smacked down. And you will deserve it. What happened to Hartley is of his own making. He thought being a racist, misogynistic edgelord was fun, and at the time it probably was! For him and his white Bros, anyhow...

But now, he’s reaping what he sowed. And he deserves it. I have no pity for racists, misogynists, and/or homophobes when their own words and actions cost them money and fame and clout.
    beautiful words zinderel and i agree wholeheartedly. sawyer did post an apology after his firing was announced, but it received no attention from the arrowverse cast members and honestly doesn't mean much imo.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    thank you!!!!!!!

the most rampant racism is the unconscious racism. white people who are more afraid of being called racist than being racist.

not at all. if it's going off track it's because people want to act like this is some sort of non issue or like he wasn't being racist. he was. he also worked on the Flash which he is now fired from, so this has been completely relevant.

if you're uncomfortable then maybe you should open your heart to more race related discussions
    I don't even mean unconscious bro, I mean people who are completely aware of it, but they have to live, work and exist in the world. They aren't gonna be spewing their hate on the job that will compromise their ability to do so. So they will work alongside POC all day long for that paper and probably go home and be all hateful and such.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT to try and bring things back around....

Speculation on what happens? Recast/reface for Dibny or a quick mention in the season premiere that sets him and Sue off to parts unknown...?

I'd rather (as I know I have said ad nauseum) let em go, whittle down the cast. You want to bring in new people, cool, I'm fine with that but let's have folks move on. Caitlyn and Cisco has far outlived their usefulness. Even Cavanaugh as a Wells. I love me some Cavanaugh, but the gimmick has ran its course. Let him move on. Hell they should have a season ago, so it would be a few seasons since we saw him and bring him back for one last Reverse Flash fight for the series finale whenever we get there.

beautiful words zinderel and i agree wholeheartedly. sawyer did post an apology after his firing was announced, but it received no attention from the arrowverse cast members and honestly doesn't mean much imo.
    Yeah. An apology made only after you are caught doing terrible crap is barely an apology. Like Gunn, I HOPE to learn that Hartley has apologized in the past and made efforts to be better. But so far...nothing.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    That's actually what I was wondering about the CW. Checking the social media of who you hire should be standard. Go back at least a decade.
    Then ain't nobody getting work in Hollywood.

James Gunn said some TERRIBLE stuff on twitter years ago. I see a lot of people comparing Hartley’s situation to his, and the comparison just doesn’t stand up. The key difference is that James Gunn had apologized YEARS before his past tweets got brought up. The far right propagandists who brought up James’ tweets in an effort to silence an outspoken critic of the current administration conveniently left that part out of their entirely manufactured outrage, and initially cost Gunn his job. However, upon looking at the timeline of Gunn’s life SINCE that post, at who he is now versus who he appeared to be back then, and at the caliber of person complaining about Gunn and why? Disney was satisfied that he was not the monster that far right agitators wanted him to be, and rehired him.

Perhaps Hartley Sawyer also apologized for these awful tweets (which are leaps and bounds worse than anything I recall from Gunn) made when he was a ‘young‘ fully grown adult who should have known better. But hey...we all do stupid things in our twenties, right? Can’t hold the things he said then against him now!! But the thing is, no apology has come out yet, and there is, as of yet, no evidence that he HAS changed as a person.

But that’s the thing about freedom of speech that right wing, bigoted jerks often forget: we are free to say WHATEVER we like. But we are NOT free from reasonable consequences for those things we say. Scream fire in a theater, you risk arrest. Shout the N-word in Harlem, or the F-word In Castro, and you will get smacked down. And you will deserve it. What happened to Hartley is of his own making. He thought being a racist, misogynistic edgelord was fun, and at the time it probably was! For him and his white Bros, anyhow...

So Gunn apologised and left the tweets up but Twitter still used them to accuse of being a sexual menace and get him "cancelled".

Yeah. Using Twitter content as a judge of character sounds like a rational idea.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 06-09-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I don't even mean unconscious bro, I mean people who are completely aware of it, but they have to live, work and exist in the world. They aren't gonna be spewing their hate on the job that will compromise their ability to do so. So they will work alongside POC all day long for that paper and probably go home and be all hateful and such.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT to try and bring things back around....

Speculation on what happens? Recast/reface for Dibny or a quick mention in the season premiere that sets him and Sue off to parts unknown...?

I'd rather (as I know I have said ad nauseum) let em go, whittle down the cast. You want to bring in new people, cool, I'm fine with that but let's have folks move on. Caitlyn and Cisco has far outlived their usefulness. Even Cavanaugh as a Wells. I love me some Cavanaugh, but the gimmick has ran its course. Let him move on. Hell they should have a season ago, so it would be a few seasons since we saw him and bring him back for one last Reverse Flash fight for the series finale whenever we get there.
    I never warmed up to Sue, but to be fair Ralph and Fiddler had such good chemistry no one else really measured up to me.

Hmmm...I say mention him in the season premiere, saying he and Sue are off on a mission together. Then in the season finale everyone is either going to Ralph and Sue's wedding or just came from their wedding. Full circle, off screen but full circle.

My wish is to fill the void left by Ralph with Wally. I want it, therefore it won't happen. In that case, bring in Owen Mercer.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    No, the racists wouldn't. And that would be fine with me.

BANNED

*racists and bigots

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    yeah you're right, many are completely conscious of it. i just mean unconscious in that it is much more persistent than people are willing to acknowledge.

i agree with this, they should just ditch ralph and sue. especially since that guy chester is going to be a series regular.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

If I was an agent in Hollywood the first thing I would say to any new client is "If you have twitter close it now. Do not tweet one more thing on it. Same with Instagram close it". Nothing good comes from social media when you are in the public eye. Have a bad day and tweet something stupid without thinking? That shit will haunt you forever. There are people who do nothing but scoure old tweets looking for the "gotcha" tweet you made 10 years ago.

if you think that i'm a gimmick because i'm anti racist, then this site is way worse than I thought.

sorry i hate racism and condemn racist behavior?
    No that's not why but please, do continue. This is pretty entertaining

So Gunn apologised and left the tweets up but Twitter still used them to accuse of being a sexual menace and get him "cancelled".

Yeah. Using Twitter content as a judge of character sounds like a rational idea.
    Don’t get it twisted. Twitter didn’t use Gunn’s posts against him. Mike Cernovich and other alt-right agitators were mad that James Gunn was a vocal critic of the human armpit stain currently squatting in the Oval Office. THEY dug up Gunn’s tweets, THEY ignored that he had addressed how terrible they were and had apologized for them, and THEY made a concerted effort to silence someone whose politics they don’t like. Not Twitter.

This is, of course, the EXACT thing they accuse ‘the left‘ of doing when we ‘cancel’ someone by washing our hands of a celebrity who is revealed to be an unapologetic racist/sexist/homophobic bigot. Bigotry isn’t a political view worthy of debate or hearing out ‘both sides’. It’s not a ‘difference of opinion’ that reasonable people have. Studios and actors not wanting to work with an unapologetic racist and misogynist is not ‘persecuting’ the bigot for his ‘beliefs’. Now, that all said, I am NOT saying that Hartley is a monster. Those tweets were ~10 years ago. He said some Demonstrably, unarguably heinous things and as of yet, there is no evidence he doesn’t still feel the same way. There has been no ‘difference of opinion’ to explain these tweets coming up, the way it was so easy to trace the origin of the Gunn kerfuffle.

Other than, of course, an after-the-fact, ‘Oh sh**, I got caught’ apology, Mr. Sawyer has not seemed to address the central issue. THAT is why he lost his job. James Gunn was a vocal critic of the President, which IS a political opinion. And THAT was Gunn’s real ‘crime’ to Mike Cernovich and his supporters who flooded Disney with demands of firing. Not that he had said some crappy things a decade ago.

As for no one getting work in Hollywood? *shrug* I’m fine with a full purging of all the unapologetic rapists, homophobes, misogynists, racists, and other assorted human dumpster fires, even if it means my entertainment options are limited for a while.
    Last edited by zinderel; 06-09-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    If I was an agent in Hollywood the first thing I would say to any new client is "If you have twitter close it now. Do not tweet one more thing on it. Same with Instagram close it". Nothing good comes from social media when you are in the public eye. Have a bad day and tweet something stupid without thinking? That shit will haunt you forever. There are people who do nothing but scoure old tweets looking for the "gotcha" tweet you made 10 years ago.
    To be real, tho...Sawyer’s tweets are CLEARLY not the result of ‘a bad day’. They are multiple posts, over a period of years. THAT is why he lost his job. A pattern of unapologetic bigotry is becoming less and less acceptable, for some reason. Darn those liberals...

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I can't believe how many of you are falling for such an obvious gimmick lol
    Is firing a guy with a string of racist misogynistic tweets a gimmick...? Maybe it’s just ‘virtue signalling’, all staged to increase ratings. Is that it...?

Did Hartley Sawyer leak these tweets himself as a way to get out of hollywood and pursue his real dream: beekeeping?

What is it about this that you think is a ‘gimmick’...?
    Last edited by zinderel; 06-09-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Is firing a guy with a string of racist misogynistic tweets a gimmick...? Maybe it’s just ‘virtue signalling’, all staged to increase ratings. Is that it...?

Did Hartley Sawyer leak these tweets himself as a way to get out of hollywood and pursue his real dream: beekeeping?

What is it about this that you think is a ‘gimmick’...?
    I wasn't talking about the firing...