Page 11 of 827 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111511 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Does anyone think you knw who will be in the show? or was the just a little easter egg for the comic fans? Cant think of a way they can do it without it looking stupid or costing a lot
    Would you know who be Grodd?

Mighty Member

Does anyone think you knw who will be in the show? or was the just a little easter egg for the comic fans? Cant think of a way they can do it without it looking stupid or costing a lot
    I think maybe if they get a Season 2 with a bigger budget.

Im on my fifth viewing of the pilot. I plan on watching it once a day till october 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    I hope you aren' t including me in the list of people making a big deal. I could care less about Iris's skin tone. I'm not a huge fan of the flash comics so I don't really know her. I do know Bart Allen and I am wondering if his persona would have to be changed when being played by a black actor. The Kingpin I grew up with was the guy on the fox spider-man cartoon. The perry white I grew up with was lane smith. I love Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury though.
    Why would his persona have to be changed?

BANNED

I finished watching the rest of the show yesterday and found that I really enjoyed it alot. Here's what stood out for me:

• Gustin as Barry Allen. I’ve been very vocal in terms of his performance in Arrow. I just thought that he came across as immature, weak and his behaviour was really unseemly for someone who is supposed to be a twenty something working as a scientist/CSI in a police environment. Well all that was gone in the pilot. He came across as much more focused and mature, and was more of a young man with solidity and gravitas. No he isn’t the masterful male. But he came across more of leader. This is much more like Barry Allen. I really hope that as the series progresses Barry/Flash is allowed to stand on his own two feet and not just run to Oliver (or anyone else) for constant advice and to be propped up. Sure support and encouragement from others is wonderful. But I really look forward to seeing Barry become more and more his own man. And eventually turn into one of the few people Bruce Wayne/Batman actually respects and admires.
    • The special effects were great, especially The Flash’s.
    • I loved the scene in the beginning where Barry told Nora why he got into the fight. Instead of sticking with the boring clichéd that he was beaten up because he’s a nerd. He got beaten up in the course of trying to help someone who was in trouble. It really lends to Barry’s character and shows that being a hero is not about having super powers but is about your inner character, who you are inside and the choices you make. I also liked Barry’s speech to Arrow about all his life wanting to be someone better. That demonstrates to me someone who wants to grow and mature and progress.
    • The twist at the end was great. I want The Flash to have a formidable adversary. The adversary that the show seems to be pointing to right now. Isn’t really that formidable. I want Flash/Barry to eventually match wits with someone on an intellectual level. Not just have a physical superhero smack down.
    • Barry’s investigative skills at the beginning where you saw the captions to see what he was thinking. I was hoping that in the course of showing him working on cases, they would try and follow the BBC’s Sherlock. Of course Barry won’t have Sherlock’s arrogance. But I expect to see someone who is unconventional in his thinking and is willing to go outside the box to solve cases.
    • I didn’t like Snow. I get that her fiancé died. But I hope that she won’t be a sourpuss for the entire show.
    • Loved Cisco, I found him endearing. He’s a scientist but doesn’t take himself too seriously. He’s funny without being silly.
    • I wish that they had retained the part from Nu52 Flash were it showed that Nora had been on the verge of leaving her husband. It would have lent greater weight as to why Henry was arrested and convicted more easily.
    • Joes’ blowing up at Barry about his dad being a killer and Barry’s attempt to clear him was distasteful. He apologized for it at the end. But it really made me wonder how long he was harbouring this type of anger.

In all, I thought that it was a great start. Gustin’s performance as Barry on Arrow as well as complaints from some fans that too much was crammed into one episode made me skeptical about this. But the Barry characterisation was tweaked and improved. And for some reason everything being topped loaded into one episode actually works. I don’t think that they are going for the big city/family drama feel on Arrow. The show is entertaining, but still has some depth. In all I really enjoyed the episode a lot and look forwards to seeing more in the fall.

One thing I didn't like was Oliver's "Cool" and the smirk he had. It felt very out of character for the Oliver Queen we've come to know.

One thing I didn't like was Oliver's "Cool" and the smirk he had. It felt very out of character for the Oliver Queen we've come to know.
    I essentially felt the same way myself.

Like, Barry commenting positively on Olivers' feat, Oliver on Barrys', was to be expected, and would be welcome, but the very word itself either doesn't fit because of the director, or Stephen Amell saying it.

Maybe with a pre-Lian Yu Oliver, but after all those years of struggle and hardship, atop the past two in and around Starling City, it'd make sense that he wouldn't say stuff like that, or wouldn't be in the mood to say it. But, a small smile, cracking out with Barrys' speed, or a glazed smile, with a weak laugh, short, and done, then cut back to the city of Barry Allen and co, might've been better, for me.

Have to admit that part was a bit weird it felt a little bit "off" to me.

But it was such a small negligible part right now and would only be a concern if there is some kind of crossover between the two shows.

I'm not real happy about them pretending that Felicity doesn't exist virtually retconning her out of existence.

BANNED

the shows are going to crossover, so she does exist

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I finished watching the rest of the show yesterday and found that I really enjoyed it alot. Here's what stood out for me:

• Gustin as Barry Allen. I’ve been very vocal in terms of his performance in Arrow. I just thought that he came across as immature, weak and his behaviour was really unseemly for someone who is supposed to be a twenty something working as a scientist/CSI in a police environment. Well all that was gone in the pilot. He came across as much more focused and mature, and was more of a young man with solidity and gravitas. No he isn’t the masterful male. But he came across more of leader. This is much more like Barry Allen.
    Good to see you gave it a chance. I never asked you but from your past comments it did seem like Gustin's performance on Arrow was forming you opinion. Gustin definitely settled into the role with this pilot. The talkative nervousness from Arrow was gone... which in all honesty was my biggest worry. That would have gotten old fast...

• The special effects were great, especially The Flash’s.
    The show wouldn't stand a chance without the effects.

In all, I thought that it was a great start. Gustin’s performance as Barry on Arrow as well as complaints from some fans that too much was crammed into one episode made me skeptical about this. But the Barry characterisation was tweaked and improved. And for some reason everything being topped loaded into one episode actually works. I don’t think that they are going for the big city/family drama feel on Arrow. The show is entertaining, but still has some depth. In all I really enjoyed the episode a lot and look forwards to seeing more in the fall.
    If they can maintain this level for season one then Flash season 1 will clearly outdo Arrow Season 1.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sonofspam1972 View Post
    I'm not real happy about them pretending that Felicity doesn't exist virtually retconning her out of existence.
    They didn't retcon her out of existence.

If you are talking about a big hairy gorilla, no way in hell is he going to make it in. Not because he's too silly for a CW audience (though he might be, but not a debate I care for) but because to do him well has got to be outside their budget. You either need a very realistic suit with animatronics, or more likely a butt-load of good CG. Flash's special effects alone have got to drain that well up somewhat. I mean, the villain in the pilot (avoiding spoiling it for folks), his powers didn't look as good as Barry's, which make sense because Flash is the one who's powers you have to absolutely get right (and wow did they). Villains of the week have less of the budget, and our favorite hairy villain has got to be well beyond that allotment.

BANNED

I want to see their spin on Captain Cold, if they opt to do him

he is my favorite

Outside of Zoom/Reverse-Flash, Captain Cold is Flash's best and most well known foe, so they're definitely going to do him. Also Mirror Master. Skipping them would be crazy.