Page 50 of 827 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150550 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Yesterday, when I was watching Fastest Man Alive with my Dad, I said to him that Detective West, former guardian of Barry, father of Iris etc, was an original character, not from the comics, created for the show.

Was I correct to assert such a thing? And, if so, would many of you like him, like Diggle, or Chloe, to make the transition to comics?
    No Joe West is an original character. He actually is a stand in for the combined characters of Darryl Frye, Barry's foster father and Barry's senior colleague James Forrest. He would not fit in the book as a character since Iris' father has already been introduced. He's an invalid. Diggle and Felicity have already been folded into the main Green Arrow book.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    And that he's a super powered chap, so soon after The Tomorrow People.
    Yes he was slumming....

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    Probably Neck snap that seems to be associate with DC.
    Especially the Flash. At least no limbs were ripped off like in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    No Joe West is an original character. He actually is a stand in for the combined characters of Darryl Frye, Barry's foster father and Barry's senior colleague James Forrest. He would not fit in the book as a character since Iris' father has already been introduced. He's an invalid. Diggle and Felicity have already been folded into the main Green Arrow book.

Yes he was slumming....
    Do you feel Amell was slumming, or do you think I was saying that? Nah, I loved TTP, and hate that it was cancelled. Was delighted he'd be half of Firestorm here.

Could change it a bit, no? A new Detective come in, protective of Barry for a different reason. No bond with Iris, but could still be a father, there.

Even in New 52? Iris' Dad in?

Retired

In the original Broome/Infantino run of THE FLASH, absent-minded Professor Ira West was the father of Iris West. But as Bob Kanigher later revealed, Iris was in fact born in the 30th century and sent back in time to the 20th century, so Ira was really her adoptive father not her biological father.

I guess knowing that there's bound to be a Crisis in ten years is a good thing. We know that DC Entertainment is prone to long delays in production, failed projects, movies that bomb, TV shows that get cancelled, announcements that never go anywhere--so ten years is probably a conservative estimate for how long it will take them to launch a Flash movie set in a different continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In the original Broome/Infantino run of THE FLASH, absent-minded Professor Ira West was the father of Iris West. But as Bob Kanigher later revealed, Iris was in fact born in the 30th century and sent back in time to the 20th century, so Ira was really her adoptive father not her biological father.

I guess knowing that there's bound to be a Crisis in ten years is a good thing. We know that DC Entertainment is prone to long delays in production, failed projects, movies that bomb, TV shows that get cancelled, announcements that never go anywhere--so ten years is probably a conservative estimate for how long it will take them to launch a Flash movie set in a different continuity.
    It's meant to be much earlier than that. I can understand your worries, or pessimissim, though I don't support them, or think it's a positive way to look at these things.

If it doesn't happen, there's the show. And if The Flash gets cancelled, there's both the 90s' show and what we got, no matter how much, or how little, that is, for the 2014 show.

So, I like looking at it that way, just a bit easier, than worrying that much, y'know?

And, some shows that DID go somewhere were Wonder Woman, Superboy, Adventures of Superman, Isis, Smallville, Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, Batman, The New Adventures Of Superman: Lois & Clark, Birds Of Prey and much more, when it comes to animated.

Regardless of whether they're still going, or have ended, been cancelled, they all happened, for however long. 10 Seasons, or 1, or 4, or 5. Or, even still going, like about 5 of those above are.

And, Man Of Steel didn't really bomb, while The Dark Knight most certainly didn't. At least there's all of that, y'know? Most of it depends on Dawn Of Justice, I think, but I have a feeling SUPERMAN and BATMAN in a live action movie together'll do well, whatever about the others. I have my worries and my hopes.

But, just seems better to be hopeful, y'know?

BANNED

Overall I like episode 2 but some of the show flaws could become very grating.

The science girl in Star labs is utterly utterly annoying and horrible: I can't remember her name because I just automatically call her Fitzsimmons (based off the two awful Agents of Shield characters).

Grant Gustin is still not working for me as Flash as he doesn't do angst scenes well, he ends up looking like he just ate a bad burrito.

Otherwise the show has been pretty good as the rest of the cast works for me. But the show is ultimately going to live or die based off Gustin and unless I'm in the minority as to his portrayal this could be problematic.

The only neck snap that is plausible is if Barry accidentally snaps Professor Zoom's neck if he tried to kill Iris. They could then do the Trial of the Flash for an entire season of the show.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    The only neck snap that is plausible is if Barry accidentally snaps Professor Zoom's neck if he tried to kill Iris. They could then do the Trial of the Flash for an entire season of the show.
    It would kill the show, just like the original TRIAL killed off Barry's first comic book series.

Personally, I enjoyed THE TRIAL, but it's always been a hard sell to much of the audience.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

No thanks. It went on way too long 30 years ago the first time it was tried.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I hope not. I like the light hearted nature of the show and hope cw builds up on it.

Isn't pied piper suposed to appear?

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    It would kill the show, just like the original TRIAL killed off Barry's first comic book series.

Personally, I enjoyed THE TRIAL, but it's always been a hard sell to much of the audience.

It's overly convoluted plot is exactly the thing this jaded Flash fan would love to see on the show.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It's overly convoluted plot is exactly the thing this jaded Flash fan would love to see on the show.
    ...as long as Big Sir doesn't show up in any way or form.

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    ...as long as Big Sir doesn't show up in any way or form.

I imagine a character like Big Sir would be a lot more offensive to modern viewers than he would have in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    No the Wests are Barry's foster family, they take care and raised him but he's not related to them in any sense.
    Liked it. Was surprised they didn't focus more on trying to prove the guy stole the research and seemed to just let that go except for Wells killing him to protect Barry based apparently on future knowledge. Obviously, time travel knowledge as he called him "The Flash" when the current papers are calling him the Red Streak and acted like he was protecting the future he knew.

I'm not totally up on the villains. I know about the Reverse Flash and kind of Zoom but don't really know the details.

Very nice scene with Detective West and acknowledging that he too was Barry's father for all practical purposes.

I'm also liking the way they are nor retreading the whole "secret from everybody" ground and going for some new territory.

Yes, very clear that Barry and Iris were never related to each other but also clear that Iris thinks of him as her brother for all practical purposes and so misreads signs she might otherwise see right away. Might be different if they were teenagers when they met but the episode makes it clear they were younger than that. Of course, making her black is meant to off-set this. But they grew up sharing the confidences and "relationship" of siblings. So there's going to be a shock for her to deal with realizing what he really feels.

But a minor point. Really love the show so far. I do wish they had made the suit brighter and more vibrant since the idea is that he will be the hope inspiring hero to Arrow's dark knight.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Overall I like episode 2 but some of the show flaws could become very grating.

The science girl in Star labs is utterly utterly annoying and horrible: I can't remember her name because I just automatically call her Fitzsimmons (based off the two awful Agents of Shield characters).

Grant Gustin is still not working for me as Flash as he doesn't do angst scenes well, he ends up looking like he just ate a bad burrito.

Otherwise the show has been pretty good as the rest of the cast works for me. But the show is ultimately going to live or die based off Gustin and unless I'm in the minority as to his portrayal this could be problematic.
    Caitlin Snow, I believe you're talking about. But, I can understand what you mean, but I personally find Cisco a lot more annoying, with the hair and smile of his, some of his goofiness, what he says. Reminds me of someone, too, but to each their own.