Page 9 of 827 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109509 ... LastLast

Nobody is making a big deal about it. I said it was a minor issue I had. Is it going to make me not watch this show? Of course not.

BANNED

why is it an issue at all?

First thing I'd like to say is I don't want this thread to be turned into a topic of race. To answer your question I find it dumb to change any characters race. If an established character is white leave them white, don't make the black, hispanic, asian. If a character was black leave him black, don't make him white or any other race. TV shows/movies featuring superheroes have an opportunity to make a new character, not change an existing one.

That's what's bothering me, but like I said at the end of the day I'll still watch this show.

BANNED

I disagree

if you find an actor that can do the job, they may not be the "canon" color but have the spirit of the character down, there shouldn't be an issue with that actor getting the role

and when adaptations create new characters instead of using plenty existing characters, there is a lot more backlash

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    The one problem with the pilot is that i's derative of Arrow.

spoilers:

Said girl has a detective dad who never appeared in the comics before.
    end of spoilers

Other than that the pilot was great.
    You were right on everything else, so 4/5 for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I feel people are making this a bigger issue than it needs to be

we live in a mixed multicultural world, I am a product of a mixed family..my mom and my sister are Puerto Rican but have very light skin, my dad is black and my stepmom is white

people are different colors, let's deal and move on
    What did you think of the windy antagonist, or how the original Flash player the Flashs' Dad?

BANNED

I try and not judge on pilots - pilots are, for the most part, a rough draft of what a show is supposed to be

I enjoyed it, and its your standard CW show with aesthetically pleasing people and melodrama but amped up because of the content

I shall watch it and hope to enjoy its first season

Fictional Computer Hacker August_Gorman's Avatar

I really don't see an issue with changing Iris' race. Sometimes race, religion, or sexual orientation is essential to the theme of a character, but I don't believe this to be the case with Iris.

Also, I get the idea that they mainly chose to make her black in the TV so that they could use Jesse L. Martin as he father.
    ____

Currently Reading: The Amazing Spider-Man, Attack On Titan, Fight Club 2, On Guard We Stand, Ultimate End
    ____

Gus Gorman: "Hey, man!"
    Lorelei Ambrosia: "That's his last name. He likes to be called Superman."

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
    First thing I'd like to say is I don't want this thread to be turned into a topic of race. To answer your question I find it dumb to change any characters race. If an established character is white leave them white, don't make the black, hispanic, asian. If a character was black leave him black, don't make him white or any other race. TV shows/movies featuring superheroes have an opportunity to make a new character, not change an existing one.

That's what's bothering me, but like I said at the end of the day I'll still watch this show.
    Think of it as Elseworlds...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    The one problem with the pilot is that i's derative of Arrow.

spoilers:
    Hero gets into an accident and is far away from the supporting cast for an extended period of time.

Comes back from the accident as a superhero.

Girl he loves is dating the a guy with the name of a supervillain (who probably won't be the actual supervillain and instead be a blood relative).

Said girl has a detective dad who never appeared in the comics before.

He has a team behind of normal guys behind him helping him out. Hoepfully they never say "Team Flash" on the show.

Harrison Wells is probably Prof. Zoom, like BARROWMAN! was Merlyn.

For that reason I kinda hope they go the obvious route with Eddie. Thawn.
    end of spoilers

Other than that the pilot was great.
    Just for the record, Black Canary's father was police detective. At least that's my recollection. (I'm talking about Dinah Drake's father. Dinah Lance's father was also a police detective. Neither's name was Quentin.)

Sandy Hausler

I feel people are making this a bigger issue than it needs to be

we live in a mixed multicultural world, I am a product of a mixed family..my mom and my sister are Puerto Rican but have very light skin, my dad is black and my stepmom is white

people are different colors, let's deal and move on
    I hope you aren' t including me in the list of people making a big deal. I could care less about Iris's skin tone. I'm not a huge fan of the flash comics so I don't really know her. I do know Bart Allen and I am wondering if his persona would have to be changed when being played by a black actor. The Kingpin I grew up with was the guy on the fox spider-man cartoon. The perry white I grew up with was lane smith. I love Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury though.

BANNED

No. just a general statement in reaction ive seen to the casting and now the pilot in various corners of the internet

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson View Post

If you don't want a thread to turn into a topic of race, don't bring the topic up. Most of us have made up our minds about the race change one way or another months ago, nobody was talking about it until you introduced it into the conversation. Sorry, you don't get to dictate how people respond to something you say or bring up. Don't want to talk about something? Just don't talk about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Think of it as Elseworlds...
    It is Elseworld.

I try and not judge on pilots - pilots are, for the most part, a rough draft of what a show is supposed to be

I enjoyed it, and its your standard CW show with aesthetically pleasing people and melodrama but amped up because of the content

I shall watch it and hope to enjoy its first season
    That'd be an admittedly wise policy to employ, but I will say that, rough draft or not, a terrible pilot can turn someone off watching the series at all, even if it becomes a lot better, if not brilliant, whilst a brilliant one, or solid one, could keep people flocking, or watching, each week, regardless, perhaps, of how weak a couple are early on.

The promise made so early on could keep them, or the warning to leave this series be.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, I think - though, with Flash, that's THREE CW superhero shows I've watched, five action, if you add The Tomorrow People, or Supernatural, even The Vampire Diaries, so I wouldn't be too sure what CW shows minus much action, horror etc would be like.

And, yeah, I think, if my parents are anything to go by, the aesthetically pleasing people thing's been going since The WB, i.e. Smallville on to now.