Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

I'd love to see Prime return to DC, punching his way through the source wall into the Nu52 universe and noting all the changes then deciding to go after the depowered Superman and maybe take his place as this universes ultimate hero.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Reminded of him by some recent discussion over Super League and honestly, whatever you think of the execution (I thought he was hilarious, if more than a little hypocritical coming from Johns of all people), I think Prime is a great villain who in many ways will always be relevant to the DCU. His construction as an 'evil Superman' alone is itself different and more personal than the conquering Zod, the unaware Bizarro or the bullying Ultraman, as someone furious, out of control and able to fulfill every twisted, petty, idiotic whim that passes through his head for the most banal of motivations because no one can stop him, the most hilarious and horrifying extrapolation of Superman as power fantasy. That he scales up the tragedy of "loses a world as a child" to "loses a universe as a child the day after the greatest day of his life", and that he warps the idea of Superman's 'old-fashioned' morality into a literal desire to punch the world back to the old way it's supposed to be. That so long as DC keeps changing with the times, good or bad, he'll have motivation, and serve as an appropriately unflattering contrast (even if, again, it undercuts it that Johns was the one to set that up). That he's the living embodiment of everything wrong with modern DC, fetishizing the past to the point of looking like a younger version of the first superhero (an idea that was one of the main concepts discarded in their first reboot) who hates all the changes that have happened since he was a kid and wants to restore things to being innocent and 'correct' - that's why he's Prime, because he's the right version - even as he engages in the most over the top ultraviolence imaginable, justifying it as these not 'really' being the characters. That you can play him for the comedy of metacommentary or the dead-serious tragedy of a boy who lost everything for his dreams only to be forgotten, and now exists solely to destroy his heroes for not being everything he wanted and needed from them.

He's everything cruel and bitter and regressive about the superhero wearing the skin of everything that's supposed to make it great, and that makes him a perfect supervillain. And with the last few issues of the pre-Flashpoint Teen Titans pissing away Johns' perfect ending for the character courtesy of Krul, meaning there's no reason not to use him again, I hope more than anything for him to show up and try to kill everyone in the New 52 universe while alternating between uncontrollable sobbing and screaming about the costumes being wrong and diversity for diversity's sake. And then he tears off BOTH of Risk's arms.
    Buh-bye

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Maybe Superboy Prime is so perturbed by the loss of trunks from costumes in this universe during his eventual return that he constructs his new costume entirely out of them, thats an idea I had. Or maybe he just runs around stark-raving-mad punching off peoples heads in nothin' but a single red boxer.
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 02-15-2016 at 12:10 AM.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Maybe Superboy Prime is so perturbed by the loss of trunks from costumes in this universe during his eventual return that he constructs his new costume entirely out of them, thats an idea I had. Or maybe he just runs around stark-raving-mad punching off peoples heads in nothin' but a single red boxer.
    Maybe Superboy Prime is no more in this universe. What if DC has another crisis with the Dark Knight Supergirl love child evolving into Supergirl Prime?

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    My favorite comic character in DC Comics deserves to have his own appreciation thread. I'm sure I'm not his only fan.Discuss!

Discuss!
    Wow! I live for the artwork in your Avatar! Who is responsible for that GORGEOUS rendition of Storm and where can I see more of his/her work?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HunterX View Post
    Not to spoil the fun but shouldnt this be in the superman forums, considering there is a whole seperate superman forums, while the rest of the DCU is kinda squashed here.

This Earth Prime thing sounds kind of interesting
    no theres more fans of superboy prime here then in the superman forums I learn that the hard way when I made the batman superman apparition thread in batman forum didn't get any replies

BANNED

Where is he now?

BANNED

Still in the real world, I think. I can't remember exactly how his story ended after he met the DC writers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Still in the real world, I think. I can't remember exactly how his story ended after he met the DC writers.

Actually he was in the source wall,put there by Kon and Kara in the last issue of teen Titans before flashpoint

it was beyond dumb how easily he was defeated

@ksneen

He was in the source wall in his last appearance, it always bothered me that the Teen Titans did get him in there while so many combined heroes had so much more trouble earlier. Did the Source Wall release him with the others that were trapped during the attack on New Genesis? And there's one source wall like there's one Darkseid and Highfather correct?

I really like this character a lot. I thought he was actually really scary and had an excellent design with the monitor tech. When he showed up around the time of Sinestro Corps War I got so exited.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Reminded of him by some recent discussion over Super League and honestly, whatever you think of the execution (I thought he was hilarious, if more than a little hypocritical coming from Johns of all people), I think Prime is a great villain who in many ways will always be relevant to the DCU. His construction as an 'evil Superman' alone is itself different and more personal than the conquering Zod, the unaware Bizarro or the bullying Ultraman, as someone furious, out of control and able to fulfill every twisted, petty, idiotic whim that passes through his head for the most banal of motivations because no one can stop him, the most hilarious and horrifying extrapolation of Superman as power fantasy. That he scales up the tragedy of "loses a world as a child" to "loses a universe as a child the day after the greatest day of his life", and that he warps the idea of Superman's 'old-fashioned' morality into a literal desire to punch the world back to the old way it's supposed to be. That so long as DC keeps changing with the times, good or bad, he'll have motivation, and serve as an appropriately unflattering contrast (even if, again, it undercuts it that Johns was the one to set that up). That he's the living embodiment of everything wrong with modern DC, fetishizing the past to the point of looking like a younger version of the first superhero (an idea that was one of the main concepts discarded in their first reboot) who hates all the changes that have happened since he was a kid and wants to restore things to being innocent and 'correct' - that's why he's Prime, because he's the right version - even as he engages in the most over the top ultraviolence imaginable, justifying it as these not 'really' being the characters. That you can play him for the comedy of metacommentary or the dead-serious tragedy of a boy who lost everything for his dreams only to be forgotten, and now exists solely to destroy his heroes for not being everything he wanted and needed from them.

He's everything cruel and bitter and regressive about the superhero wearing the skin of everything that's supposed to make it great, and that makes him a perfect supervillain. And with the last few issues of the pre-Flashpoint Teen Titans pissing away Johns' perfect ending for the character courtesy of Krul, meaning there's no reason not to use him again, I hope more than anything for him to show up and try to kill everyone in the New 52 universe while alternating between uncontrollable sobbing and screaming about the costumes being wrong and diversity for diversity's sake. And then he tears off BOTH of Risk's arms.
    Yeah, great explanation of what makes the character great.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    Actually he was in the source wall,put there by Kon and Kara in the last issue of teen Titans before flashpoint
    What, really? That sucks, I thought he was back home on Earth-33. This totally invalidates my fanfic where he just goes to college and hates DC comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Earth-33

In a small dorm room at the university of Wichita, two boys sat on two beds, one across the room from the other. One had a small auburn goatee underneath a pair of horned glasses and a carefully coiffed head of handsome hair. The other had hair cut very close to the scalp, shaved on the sides and generally not much of it. His eye were peircingly blue and his face shockingly handsome. He looked, it had been remarked, like a young Henry Cavill. To make matters worse, his parents had seen fit to give him the unfortunate name of "Clark Kent".

"Ernesto, huh?" Clark couldn't resist a smirk, "Does he have a cute accent?"

"Yeah," Rob lightly flushed, "he's only lived in the U.S. for a few years. He speaks English really well, but his accent is super hot."

"How much of this is because of your huge crush on Bunker?" Clark chuckled in reference to Rob's favorite Teen Titan. Clark didn't read comics, though he seemed remarkably well-acquainted with the DCU for someone who seemed to dislike it so much.

"What? None of- well, I'd probably say that it's more like they're both my type independently."

"And Ernesto's better than that Dan guy you used to date?"

"Do you mean better in bed or--" Rob was interrupted when Clark burst out laughing.

"I meant how does he measure up as a boyfriend, man! Not that I'm not interested in the dirty details, but that's secondary, you know that."

Rob flopped back onto his bed and stared at the ceiling.

"I guess so," he said, "it isn't easy to tell. Remember how much I liked Dan at the start? He really seemed like a good guy at first. I still don't really know why he started getting more distant."

"Although," Rob grinned, "unlike Dan, Ernesto doesn't have Chron's disease. I didn't realize it before, but it's kind of fun to... be on top."

"I could've told you that!" Clark laughed, "Not that I've gotten any in years."

"Still hung up on that Laurie girl?"

"Yeah." Like a single drop giving way to a freak downpour, a short pause stretched out into a long silence.

Rob looked at Clark and internally sighed. He knew that his buddy had been through some really tough times in high school, and done a lot of things he wasn't proud of, but he'd never elaborated on what, except that he spent a good amount of time in a gang or two. Ironic for a guy named "Clark Kent". He wasn't up on the details, but Rob had gathered that Clark's ex had left him because of those criminal activities. Scared of him, he guessed. Clark once said that Laurie's fear was what snapped him out of his old life, but Rob could tell there was more to the story. He doubted Clark would ever tell him all of it. He kept his past close to his chest.

After about two minutes, Rob decided to break the silence.

"So," he said, "want to play something?"

"Sure," Clark said, "like what?"

"Well Patrick just got Injustice. We could play that."

"DC Comics? No thanks!" Clark laughed nervously, "What about that platformer I saw you playing? Royal something?"

"Rogue Legacy. Sure, if you don't mind taking turns."

"No objection there!"

They went out into the living room and played video games until dinner, after which they played some more. They both neglected homework. It was a good time.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Prime was indeed in the Source Wall before the Flashpoint hit, and I think that Convergence has essentially rewritten Infinite Crisis such that neither Kal-L or Clark-Prime ever died/went bad.

I'd rather find out that Clark-Prime is back on Earth-Prime with Laurie, serving as his world's only hero. Hell, I think this would make a fantastic television series: a kid named Clark Kent in "our world" learns Krypton's real, he's Kal-El, and becomes Superman! Put Kurt Busiek in charge of the show and run with it, keeping it entirely separate from the CWverse.
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)