Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FHIZ View Post
    Yeah, it's a great story, but I'm ready to get back to the present, which Eternal has more or less been doing. I'm really curious to see how this book coexists with Eternal moving forward.
    Makes me wonder actually, why they didn't run Zero Year alongside Eternal. That way we'd still get Snyder's Batman in the present while he could spend a year building a new origin. Rather than Eternal starting at the tail end of Zero Year.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Nope.

It's been just as awesome as it's been since the beginning. Great, great story and a fitting origin for Batman in the new 52.

Guess I agree with the OP for the most part. LOVED the start, with the Red Hood gang and the stories of his first days at Batman, amazing, especially the nod to Miller's Year One with the scene in his study.

Dr Death was ho hum for me, didn't hold my interest, and I feel that the Riddler portion has gone on too long. I'm ready for it to get wrapped up, and was annoyed with the break in the arc for the Bluebird issue (yech).

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    Makes me wonder actually, why they didn't run Zero Year alongside Eternal. That way we'd still get Snyder's Batman in the present while he could spend a year building a new origin. Rather than Eternal starting at the tail end of Zero Year.
    You do realize Snyder isn't writing all of Eternal, don't you? He's more involved with plotting / overseeing the direction, but others are actually writing many of the individual issues.

Extraordinary Member

Well there is so much competing with this story right now and long arcs tend to lose interest in the regards, but as others said when I get the next issue in my hands I will be drawn right back into the story just like every other issue I kind of forgot was coming out.

For me this is true of any arc over three issues long.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin Truth View Post
    But like I said, I can't point to any individual issues of the Zero Year storyline I've disliked or found uninteresting, but part of me is glad it'll be over in a few issues, even though it's great in itself.
    I can't either although I have to say that the middle part dragged somewhat. Overall though I've been enjoying it even with that and I do look forward to each issue so I guess my answer is no I don't find my enthusiasm waning.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    You do realize Snyder isn't writing all of Eternal, don't you? He's more involved with plotting / overseeing the direction, but others are actually writing many of the individual issues.
    I don't see the relevance?

The point which you seemed to have missed was that we'd get an origin while the weekly deals with the present, rather than taking up 6 months with an origin, and then in a couple of months having them both set in the present.

Regardless, he's one of the senior cogs in the creative element behind Eternal. Whether he actually puts pen to paper every issue or none, he's the main driving force. Yeah, I'd say that qualifies it as Snyder's Batman.
    Last edited by PyroSikTh; 05-08-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Zero Year has, thus far, been most excellent. One of DC's best books. Having said that, it feels like Zero year has dragged on for a long time because, in reality, it has. Any time a comic takes a year to complete a story, it will feel like it is taking too long (especially as we become more accustomed to weekly titles and double shipping). I cannot help but feel a bit nostalgic for the days of Snyder's Batman being in the present day. Thankfully Eternal has sated that desire (for the most part).

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorJaHawk View Post
    My interest waned after #27 and then the issue off for #28 left me excited for Batman Eternal and anticipating the end of Zero Year, but then as soon as I find myself with a new issue in my hands, the excitement levels rise once more and I love it. So I'm glad we're coming to the endgame, but I still love this run a lot.
    i agree, after the Eternal preview all I am waiting for is more present day stories.

Negative. I've been counting down the days for #31 since literally the day Batman #30 was released in April.

Astonishing Member

It's lost momentum and "importance", but it remains incredibly enjoyable. I'm quite liking "Origin By No Man's Land", and the shift from the Year One "Batman fights mobsters,and in doing so creates the new Costumed Staus Quo by inspiring Catwoman" towards "Bruce Wayne fights mobsters and crooks, Batman is born when the crooks develop into the more flamboyant types that Batman is better suited to fight".

Year One has Gotham "escalate" the situation to provide Rogues for Batman, Zero Year has Gotham escalate to create Batman to fight the Rogues. And I quite like that - Year One is a fine piece of work, but it was always hard to believe that the Batman it depicted would ever meet Ra's Al Ghul or Clayface.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Not really. I'm still quite excited to see where it goes and how it all ends. The thing of real note and interest to me though is where the comic goes afterwards. That's the big question to me.

First I would like to say that I think the art and writing has been exceptional for this entire run. I have enjoyed a ton of what they have done and even the things that I wish were a little different I get past because they are still done well.

But! There is always a but. But in this case I am ready for this particular story to be over. The fact that it takes place five years prior to the current timeline and it is this HUGE story that so far no one in the present even thinks about bothers me. I don't want to be one of those guys but I can slowly feel it happening.

I still love this book though. Just sayin.
    Pull List
    Marvel - All Marvel.
    Image - Saga, Walking Dead

Creator and host of Informal Talks podcast at InformalTalks.com and on iTunes!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Oh man, I'm just getting more and more into it as it goes along. The last cliffhanger had Batman piloting his Bat-Blimp to fight a bone monster on a weather balloon, and now we've got Mad Max motorcycle Batman fighting Riddler in a decrepit CITY OF DEATH-TRAPS, including condemned buildings used as dominoes. And this is the canonical origin. I'll sure as hell take that over "important" any day of the week (though Eternal has been good so far).

BANNED

I had no real desire to read the last Dark City issue, so I suppose that indicates interest lost, but this thread makes me want to get back on the train. Secret City was definitely a good story, and overall I think it's Snyder's best work since Black Mirror.