View Poll Results: All Star Batman and Robin by Frank Miller & Jim Lee / What is your verdict?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars: One of The Greatest stories I have ever read

11 23.40%
  • 4-Stars: This was really good

9 19.15%
  • 3-Stars: It was okay

8 17.02%
  • 2-Stars: I was more underwhelmed than anything

9 19.15%
  • 1-Star: I'm trying to find my lighter or match so I can set this on fire

9 19.15%
  • No Comment: I haven't read it, or I really have no opinion(s) whatsoever

1 2.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post All Star Batman and Robin by Frank Miller & Jim Lee / What is your verdict?

This was one of the many discussions in the CBR Batman forums. And as I have said, with the reboot of the CBR Forums, inevitably, someone will create a topic in regards to a discussion of All Star Batman and Robin. At times, it can be very polarizing, but it just shows you the passion of the CBR Forum members regarding just how opinionated they can be because of how this work moved them... either positively, or negatively.

Let's add a poll too, and let's post our opinions.

Personally, I loved the part where they had painted the whole room yellow because Green Lantern was visiting. And even served lemonade.

The art was great and it's a fun read if you don't take it seriously.

Is the 5-Star option referring to Greatest Stories we've ever read anywhere, or simply within comics or superhero comics?

It was easily one of the best Batman stories I've read in years. Completely over the top and crazy fun. And Jim Lee for once produced art I actually like.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    It was easily one of the best Batman stories I've read in years. Completely over the top and crazy fun. And Jim Lee for once produced art I actually like.
    I may be able to say the same, but it's not over yet. It's little more than halfway through, for all I know it could all go to hell in the last six issues and the people who hate it that I've argued with all this years (Years Jim Lee, Years.) are right and I saw way more in the first 10 issues that there actually was.

So I gave it an 3/5, for now. If I ever get to read the last six issues my opinion might change.

It's one of those stories that are a fun and interesting read if I look at them as non-continuity interpretations, much like another artist covering a song and adapting it in their own style. ASBAR doesn't suit how I see Batman, but if I don't try and make it fit all the same ticks that my image of Batman is, then I can stand back and appreciate the interpretation.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

It's got its flaws, but it's so strong.

I'm still surprised there are people who read the whole thing and failed to notice no one approves of Batman's behavior and many know he's putting on an act/trying too hard to be for real.

They developed a need for Robin beyond "hey kid, want to catch some bullets?" as part of a orphans-who-draw-fire-eat-tonight program.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

It's just not very good. Compared to greats like YO and DKR, it's complete rubbish.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm not a fan at all. I found Miller's writing horrible.

It doesn't help that I have never liked Jim Lee's art either. I appreciate he is an incredibly tallented guy, it's just not my thing.
    Last edited by exile001; 05-08-2014 at 08:08 AM.

2/5 - "Underwhelming" is the perfect description for me.

If it were titled "Frank Miller's Goddamn Batman" then that would have been perfect, but I wouldn't call it "All-Star" quality.

The only part I genuinely liked, was when Batman and Robin were messing with Hal Jordan... right before Robin takes it too far.

BANNED

One of the best, fun, and over the top take on Batman to date. Even Jim Lee's art was good, and I am not a fan of his work.

Incredible Member

It was one of the most entertaining trainwrecks I've ever read.

I really can't see it as anything more than a parody of Batman and its mythos so I don't take it very seriously.

I get a good laugh out of it...

Watching The Wheels wrkngclasshero's Avatar

Let me start by saying that I LOVE THIS BOOK! I think it is a great alternate take on Batman. That being said, I heard on a podcast (can't remember which one but it may have been Assemble After Dark) that their biggest problem with this book is that they drew it straight, and I couldn't help but agree.

If it was a more stylized approach (such as TDKR) I bet this would have been much more well received. It doesn't read like an incontinuity Batman story, so if shouldn't look like one ether. That being said, I do love the art (Yellow Batman alone is worth the price of admission) but if it looked different, I suspect these poll would be very different.
    "A working class hero is something to be..." - J. Lennon

I'll be generous with 2-stars, and that because of the presence of Robin and the very nice artwork. It was too much like a long unfunny parody for me to actually like it in any other sense, though.