View Poll Results: All Star Batman and Robin by Frank Miller & Jim Lee / What is your verdict?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars: One of The Greatest stories I have ever read

11 23.40%
  • 4-Stars: This was really good

9 19.15%
  • 3-Stars: It was okay

8 17.02%
  • 2-Stars: I was more underwhelmed than anything

9 19.15%
  • 1-Star: I'm trying to find my lighter or match so I can set this on fire

9 19.15%
  • No Comment: I haven't read it, or I really have no opinion(s) whatsoever

1 2.13%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    As opposed to Batman: Odyssey, which was universally awful and I have no hesitation saying is one of my favorite stories (not Batman comics, not even just comics, stories) ever.
    Odyssey was fantastic! Shirtless Bruce eating bananas and telling Superman about different times he got shot, how there's a dinosaur Robin who lives underground,fake Riddler's horrible rhyme, and how Sensei made his last grand hurrah. Plus everything was drawn really pretty, if sometimes rougher/hairier than Adams' traditionally smoother linework.

To each their own, natch. Odyssey is getting a reread from me a lot sooner than Black Mirror or Court of Owls, etc.

Hmm I didn't know so many people liked it, I admit that there were some cool things about it and aspects where people could really like but I'm not sure if I would call it one of the best Batman stories ever.
    Very interesting

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Odyssey was fantastic! Shirtless Bruce eating bananas and telling Superman about different times he got shot, how there's a dinosaur Robin who lives underground,fake Riddler's horrible rhyme, and how Sensei made his last grand hurrah.
    SO AMAZING. That's not even getting into aliens and gods and wizards showing up and it's not even a thing. Though maybe my favorite bit was where Sensei gestures and deflects a missile and Batman's just like "oh, yeah, I TOTALLY know that move. I can't do it myself but, y'know, I probably could if I FELT like it". He was probably that kid who told all his friends that he lost his virginity at 10 to Katy Perry because he's got, like, a 3 foot wiener man. And everyone was totally impressed and totally didn't pick on him for being super-weird and talking as if he was written by Neal Adams or something.

That or this:

If there were a shred of justice in this world, that would be in the Louvre.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    That or this:

If there were a shred of justice in this world, that would be in the Louvre.
    World's greatest detective.

Also, world's chillest detective.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    world's chillest detective.
    I would contest that.

He is, however, the most willing to trip out...

...and get down.

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    2/5 - "Underwhelming" is the perfect description for me.

If it were titled "Frank Miller's Goddamn Batman" then that would have been perfect, but I wouldn't call it "All-Star" quality.

The only part I genuinely liked, was when Batman and Robin were messing with Hal Jordan... right before Robin takes it too far.
    This basically, the "Goddamn Batman" line really made the whole thing worth it for me.

Ha ha. Remember when Odyssey was announced as a Frank Miller Neal Adams thing? Ha. You have to wonder to what lengths Frank went to to make this somewhat readable, before throwing his hands in the air and walking away to save from spiralling into insanity.

Damn!

After seeing that lot I really need to read Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    It doesn't help that I have never liked Jim Lee's art either. I appreciate he is an incredibly tallented guy, it's just not my thing.
    Neither have I, but I thought he managed to shake off his usual stiffness and turn in some good work for ASBAR

I decided on a three. I think Miller had a really interesting story starting to form, and laid out what could have been a really neat character progression for pretty much all the characters we saw, but especially Batman. Jim Lee's art was also amazing. It's really sad that between the delays and their other commitments that we'll never get to see this finished.

If anything, the big problem with the book is that in 10 issues, we really got enough story for about five.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Ha ha. Remember when Odyssey was announced as a Frank Miller Neal Adams thing? Ha. You have to wonder to what lengths Frank went to to make this somewhat readable, before throwing his hands in the air and walking away to save from spiralling into insanity.
    It's really telling when the guy who last wrote Holy Terror saw this and went, "Nope, too crazy for me."