View Poll Results: All Star Batman and Robin by Frank Miller & Jim Lee / What is your verdict?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars: One of The Greatest stories I have ever read

11 23.40%
  • 4-Stars: This was really good

9 19.15%
  • 3-Stars: It was okay

8 17.02%
  • 2-Stars: I was more underwhelmed than anything

9 19.15%
  • 1-Star: I'm trying to find my lighter or match so I can set this on fire

9 19.15%
  • No Comment: I haven't read it, or I really have no opinion(s) whatsoever

1 2.13%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

There should be a no-star option for this.

A good read, good fun

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post

It's just not very good. Compared to greats like YO and DKR, it's complete rubbish.
    I have to agree with Max. YO and DKR are much better stories than this one. This was probably the most disappointing and underwhelming story I've made the mistake of reading.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

The thing is, we could have probably gotten a full story in the 10-ish issues we got if Miller hadn't been wasting pages in a Bendis-style decompression like he did. ETA: Come to think of it, it's entirely possible that there was never a story in mind, and Miller was just writing aimlessly for his own amusement.

And Jim Lee is never going to finish it, they're going to save time for him to do the big projects to promote the New 52 line, like Justice League and Superman Unchained.
    Last edited by Kid A; 05-08-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Incredible Member

Its pretty good a long as someone warns you about it beforehand. If I expected a normal story and Batman talked like that, I'd be annoyed. But knowing in advance the tone it was going for, I just took it for what it was and that was pretty fun.

Spectacular Member dick_wingnut's Avatar

I think its my favorite take on Dick's origin, tainted only by the fact you know it ends terribly in DKSA.

I just can't get enough of the GD Batman and his wacky antics. All-Star Batman and Robin is awesome all around, being way over the top and all up in your face. I re-read the hardcover at least 3 or 4 times a year.

Underwhelmed fits well enough.

I had really hoped to enjoy this, having loved Y1 and TDKR. Heck I even got a kick out of TDKSB.

All Star unfortunately took the silliness of TDKSB and exacerbated it to the nth degree.

I did get a kick out of some of the cheesy moments. ("We leave the masks on...")

It's not what I would call a good Batman story, more a Mad Magazine style parody of one.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

BANNED

Two stars. The yellow issue adds a while 1.5 stars by itself.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wrkngclasshero View Post
    I heard on a podcast
    War Rocket Ajax.

A straight 1-5 really feels like the wrong way to score this. But I know I liked it, with parts genuinely verging on brilliant (Dick realizing Bruce fakes the voice, Alfred pounding on the punching bag, the graveyard), and the rest of it dumb and fun as hell. Yet it was objectively pretty awful. As opposed to Batman: Odyssey, which was universally awful and I have no hesitation saying is one of my favorite stories (not Batman comics, not even just comics, stories) ever.

All-New Member

I really liked it. I was enjoying it as a trainwreck right until issue nine. Then, I reread it and genuinely enjoyed it, because that issue really casts a different light on everything that came before. You're supposed to question this hyper violent Batman, as does every other character in the story. The whole point was to show how lost Batman is without Robin, and the way the kid humanizes him and saves him from himself. Batman's origin isn't complete until Robin comes along and makes him a saner guy, and this is something that Miller (who undeniably is an extreme right wing nut but isn't an absolute nut) has been emphazising since as far back as The Dark Knight Returns.

Honestly I loved and hope they finish it one day. It was a great take on how Batman would appear to a young Robin: demented and reckless.. Great new take on that relationship. The Green Lantern stuff was lots of fun as well. The art was exquisite. Never understood why this gets so much hate.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    The only part I genuinely liked, was when Batman and Robin were messing with Hal Jordan... right before Robin takes it too far.
    Yeah, if the whole thing was 7, 8, and 9, I'd like it. Otherwise it's too much.

The most fascinating thing about it is: it has arguably the most bizarre (almost a complete mismatch) writer/artist creative teams ever put together. Jim Lee's style is very clean and pretty ... while Frank Miller's style is very grim and extreme. I'm still deciding whether or not their styles work well together, but I'm fairly certain that the book would have worked better overall if Miller drew it as well as write it (like he did with DKR and DKSA)

I give it 3 stars ... it's okay (and they should probably get around to finishing it one of these days)

BANNED

Couldn't stand it. Reads like bad fan-fiction, and I'm in the tiny minority here but Jim Lee's art isn't for me.