BANNED

Default Why they chose to not continue with the DCAU after JLU?

Bad raitings (or not good enough), internal conflicts like the ones that kept cancelling Yost's Shared Marvel universe? Or simply someone with the power deciding not to continue it?

I can count two times where the DCAU could've continued after JLU, One was the Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes backdoor pilot that was picked up by KidsWB as the unrelated Legion of Superheroes (some say that this was because old men thought that no one would watch a superhero cartoon with a female lead) and Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths which was adapted from a DCAU Movie script by Dwayne McDuffie that was supposed to bridge Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.

Why wouldn't they just set it in the DCAU? The movie in particular, was practically the same with an ending that almost directly references the formation of the JLU, all you have to change is the Green Lantern and the fate of the Martian Manhunter. I just don't get it.

Astonishing Member

1) at least some of the DCAU not continuing was down to the sudden love of screwing over action shows Cartoon Network developed due to merchandising issues (see: every non-Brave and the Bold show since)
    2) I'm willing to agree that Johns and Didio's thing for Hal and Barry probably interfered
    3) up until recently, it used to cost a shedload of money to even get certain characters (Especially wonder woman apparently) adapted due to rights being tied up

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Bad raitings (or not good enough), internal conflicts like the ones that kept cancelling Yost's Shared Marvel universe? Or simply someone with the power deciding not to continue it?
    That last, with probably some of #2 involved. Bruce Timm, WB's DC animation supervising producer, decided to do other things after masterminding the entire DC slate for several years, and did animated movies instead for years. There are rumors that his pitch for Legion of Superheroes was turned down, and that he turned down doing Brave and Bold, but I have no idea how true those are. He stepped down from the top spot almost exactly one year ago, amid rumors he'd be back with 'something' but I think literally the only thing anyone has heard out of him in a year was the recent Batman:TAS-like animated short.

Extraordinary Member

Uh, because it ran its course. The show actually came to an end at a good time. I would optioned for it to end after the whole Cadmus arc, because the season that followed was pretty weak and didn't have nearly as much excitement as the Cadmus story line.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Why wouldn't they just set it in the DCAU? The movie in particular, was practically the same with an ending that almost directly references the formation of the JLU, all you have to change is the Green Lantern and the fate of the Martian Manhunter. I just don't get it.
    I suspect because DC wanted more control over how their properties were used. For example, they wanted to push Hal Jordan as Green Lantern at that time, and they wanted to dictate to Bruce Timm what stories to tell. It's my understanding that he more or less had full control of the DCAU, with the exceptions here and there where he wasn't allowed to use certain characters. Perhaps not allowing Timm the creative breadth he once had contributed to the utter decline of DC Comics based animation, and here we are today, where it's absolutely abysmal and Timm is not involved (aside from some short projects).

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Also think the Bat-Embargo and the one for Aquaman (maybe Wonder Woman) too helped because it limited the villains and heroes they could include in the show. JL/JLU actually did really well ratings and merchandise wise or so I've heard. It just ended because the teams involved did all they wanted to do. Better to take that approach than to keep running and eventually jump the shark. I just wish HD had been around when the series had started because it's hard to watch the first two seasons on TV these days.

I think it was mostly because they wanted to steer away from the Timm-verse, so that he couldn't be seen as a key component to their success.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Also think the Bat-Embargo and the one for Aquaman (maybe Wonder Woman) too helped because it limited the villains and heroes they could include in the show. JL/JLU actually did really well ratings and merchandise wise or so I've heard.
    Oh yeah! The JLU toyline ended in 2011, which is crazy good considering the show stopped receiving new episodes in 2006 and it started in 2001!

The show had run its course that point. If it had gone on for longer, it would have started sucking pretty hard. That underwhelming series finale is proof of that.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think it was mostly because they wanted to steer away from the Timm-verse, so that he couldn't be seen as a key component to their success.
    I've never seen DC act blasé or ashamed of the association nor success of the DCAU, nor have I even heard rumors of them treating Timm badly or not wanting to give him due credit for the success of the animation line on his watch. Seems like a pretty unfounded conspiracy theory to me.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-08-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I've never seen DC act blasé or ashamed of the association nor success of the DCAU, nor have I even heard rumors of them treating Timm badly or not wanting to give him due credit for the success of the animation line on his watch. Seems like a pretty unfounded conspiracy theory to me.
    Pretty much any conspiracy theory about the DCAU is unfounded.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Timm has said in the past that they were making every season of JLU like it was their last because CN wanted to move away from action shows and instead focus on more cartoony stuff. If JLU was being aired today, it would have met the same fate as GL: TAS, YJ and Beware the Batman.

We got Batman shows because his movies made a billion dollars so they would have been dumb not to cash in on it. Same reason why we got a GL show for much of the same reason. I assume the reason why we are not getting a Superman show is because DC got the message because of what happened to GL: TAS, YJ and BtB.

JLU's influence is undeniable though seeing as 'Batman: The Brave and the Bold' and 'Young Justice' borrowed the shows format of having a large roster of heroes with different heroes teaming up with each other with some of the writers and artists from JLU going to work on those shows. Teen Titans getting an expanded roster in their 5th season around the time of JLU turned out to be a funny coincidence according to the producers.

Timm has said in the past that they were making every season of JLU like it was their last because CN wanted to move away from action shows and instead focus on more cartoony stuff. If JLU was being aired today, it would have met the same fate as GL: TAS, YJ and Beware the Batman.

We got Batman shows because his movies made a billion dollars so they would have been dumb not to cash in on it. Same reason why we got a GL show for much of the same reason. I assume the reason why we are not getting a Superman show is because DC got the message because of what happened to GL: TAS, YJ and BtB.

JLU's influence is undeniable though seeing as 'Batman: The Brave and the Bold' and 'Young Justice' borrowed the shows format of having a large roster of heroes with different heroes teaming up with each other with some of the writers and artists from JLU going to work on those shows. Teen Titans getting an expanded roster in their 5th season around the time of JLU turned out to be a funny coincidence according to the producers.

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

Johns and DiDio have nothing to do with the animated properties, so I doubt they were involved in what did or didn't happen with JLU.

How do you delete posts on here? I can't find the delete post option.