Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superman Wonder Woman #12 Spoilers/Discussion

Let’s keep this short and sweet as real life beckons.
    For starters a word of warning: If you don’t like Superman and Wonder Woman together, this issue is not for you. If you like your comics New52 dark and serious, this issue is not for you either. But… if you need a break from crossover frenzy and fancy a light hearted take involving Superman and Wonder Woman and their romance, jump right in.

Story: 9/10
    The story centers on Superman reuniting with Wonder Woman after the events in Doomed. Going back to her apartment in London, they discover that the beautiful kryptonian flower that Clark gave Diana way back in issue #1 has turned into an oil-consuming monster. As they track the creature, they get into a spat, Wonder Woman lets slip an “I love you” for Clark, before realizing that Strife is pulling the strings of their discord. She gets to deal with her while Superman enlists the help of Swamp Thing, in what amounts to be a nice little cameo. He subdues the monster, the couple reconciles and face the future with ready determination.

This issue has been wildly anticipated in SM/WW circles and as a final hurrah Charles Soule delivers. I only wish it was longer. The monster itself is silly, being more of a nuisance than a real danger but the simple plot device works so SM and WW can play off each other. There is also a subtext here, as the monster represents a metaphor in the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship (hence the elongated title of the story), mainly that love needs fuel to grow beautiful or risk it turning into something horrible.

There are plenty of funny moments, and touching moments too. Among the highlights: A very emotional reunion in front of a packed Wembley Stadium where Superman relinquishes his privacy completely; a nice little callback to events in Justice League 19; an absolutely wonderful exchange between WW and Swamp Thing that speaks about her character perfectly; and a beautiful SM/WW click-moment near the end, where they talk about fighting for a better world (for everybody and for themselves). For me, this scene is as also about their relationship and their struggles to protect what they hold most precious.

Art: 8/10
    I’ve made it obvious that I am not a fan of Jack Herbert’s pencils, but I am glad to say he did a good job here, especially when it comes to the first pages. The touching SM/WW scenes with an accurate depiction of Wembley in the background, are followed by what has to be a pretty decent Tony Daniel impersonation. There are some anatomical quirks here and there but it would be nitpicking. Cliff Richards also handles his pages with aplomb. Unfortunately, Wong’s inks appear overbearing at times, burying the pencils under too much deep shadows. Tomeu Morey’s colors are a delight and definitely enhance the overall pencil work, though some of the final pages appear to be rushed and in need of further touch ups.

Solid writing and a touching story for any SM/WW fan. A great end to a good run. Peter Tomasi has a high standard to follow. Well done, Soule (but perhaps you should stop using the word “perhaps”, Charles…)
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

I enjoyed it. It was fun and yet still explored important issues to the couple. It could have been a little longer but hey, that's how some comics feel these days as if you could read 10 more pages again.

Soule also ended up with them both being confident that they are a couple. Together. They'd question it before. There was a lot of struggling with being one individual suddenly having to accommodate another in his/her life and dealing with the changes it brings and this issue showed that they've overcome that.

WE are ready. It's not me or you anymore. It is We. Clark able to proudly show his love for her to the world...her able to vocally speak her love...knowing it is a battle but still wanting to be with each other and hopeful that they can overcome whatever life throws at them.

It's a shame we didn't get more of this kind of story ie them off on an adventure playing off each other's personality but because of Doomed ...oh well. I enjoyed Doomed but it did throw off the sm/ww book for while.

The art was much better . The inker didn't muck up the pencils as before.

I liked the plant. It had some character and made me laugh. Guzzling oil and giving them the slip. Added a lighthearted dimension to the story telling as well as the obvious metaphor. Swamp Thing meeting Diana was a lovely moment as well. It was nice to see Clark more confident and relaxed as well, with his humor showing up.
    Last edited by hellacre; 10-08-2014 at 10:32 AM.

The first part of the issue was very touching. I guess it was Soule's original intention to show the progress of Clark as a less timid/bashful kind of guy.
    I still got some doubts about the art. I don't hate Herbert but I really miss Daniel; he left the title too early. Since it was kind of a flash-back issue I think I would have been more comfortable with Daniel's art.
    It was overall enjoyable.
    I'm a little frustrated that Soule didn't get to finish his story but I'm quite optimistic for the next creative team (hopefully they'll stay longer).
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

Quote Originally Posted by Typhoeus View Post
    The first part of the issue was very touching. I guess it was Soule's original intention to show the progress of Clark as a less timid/bashful kind of guy.
    I still got some doubts about the art. I don't hate Herbert but I really miss Daniel; he left the title too early. Since it was kind of a flash-back issue I think I would have been more comfortable with Daniel's art.
    It was overall enjoyable.
    I'm a little frustrated that Soule didn't get to finish his story but I'm quite optimistic for the next creative team (hopefully they'll stay longer).
    I feel the same way. Tony would have made this a 10 in the art department. But as it stands, it isn't bad at all. I am hopeful Mahnke follows through. He can sometimes be sloppy and his WW needs some work.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

What an awesome issue! Such a fitting farewell from Charles Soule. Although we love Tony Daniel dearly, Jack Herbert did an excellent job IMHO. It had such a great mix of romance, comedy, and just plot lines coming around full circle.

We finally get Diana to actually say how she feels about Kal. It was perfect too, how it was her acknowledging her feelings that made her realize that Strife was the culprit. I love how she even further acknowledged that she meant it VERY MUCH, so there is no question as to what she is referring to.

The end was so great too because basically Soule is saying in so many words: "I'm leaving the book, but Kal and Diana are ready for whatever the future creative teams will throw at them, and no matter what they are in it together."

At least, that's how I read it.

Yeah this issue was just a nice issue. Bearded Kal though would take time to get used to. I hope this couple gets a long run here, I mean sure people dislike it but it would be nice to be given a lot of years at least.

Sad to see Soule go, but at least his final issue was not Doom related. I really liked the beginning when Superman found her at the stadium and they kissed. Also I really liked how Soule made it so you could tell something was off when Superman was being a dick, you could tell it wasn't a normal couples fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarek View Post
    If you like your comics New52 dark and serious, this issue is not for you either.
    I love the dark and serious tone of the New 52, but I enjoyed this issue. We don't need every single moment to be dark and gritty for us to like a book, but I agree that if you don't like Superman and Wonder Woman together it is not an issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YoureStrongIKnow View Post

The end was so great too because basically Soule is saying in so many words: "I'm leaving the book, but Kal and Diana are ready for whatever the future creative teams will throw at them, and no matter what they are in it together."

At least, that's how I read it.
    That is a great way to put it.
    I love the New 52. I love the dark and grittiness of it and find that is what makes the most enjoyable superhero stories. At the same time I find All Star Superman to be the most depressing Superman story I have ever read. Yeah I'm weird.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I really enjoyed it. The art was good but really inconsistent I felt in its overall look, some pages looked really natural while others looked really digital. And they made WW short compared to Supes which was a little annoying. But other then that it was great. Really LOVED Supes with a beard, I wish he could keep it for a while instead of just for 1 issue.

I really liked the use of Swamp Thing in this issue. Though you could argue it's almost cheating that he takes his most acclaimed book's star and put it in another title, I have no problems with it. In fact, it's the way a zany comic crossover should play out.

This picture made me laugh.

Screenshot 2014-10-09 00.59.17.jpg

It reminded me of the famous José Luis García-López comic cover.

I guess we're now one step closer to this:

Last edited by DochaDocha; 10-08-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

It's unrealistic for Superman to give WW that gift. He should know by now the kind of lifestyle they lead means not being home for months at a time. He endangered society by his recklessness. Otherwise a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    It's unrealistic for Superman to give WW that gift. He should know by now the kind of lifestyle they lead means not being home for months at a time. He endangered society by his recklessness. Otherwise a good story.
    Naw, she's rich and she has access to tech and magic. She can hire someone to oil it (lol) or Clark or Cyborg can get something going for her to ensure it gets its oil via a a little mechanism. Clark is away from his FOS for long periods too and I am sure he has automated stuff. That's nothing difficult for Diana to get worked out. That is the point of the story too...even with the dangers...and now she knows what it can do...he trusts her to be able to care for it. He cares for very dangerous things in the FOS I am sure the gov't would not be too keen on but he does it. It is about trust, not if she can. He knows she can.
    Last edited by hellacre; 10-09-2014 at 04:57 AM.

how i wish this issue was much longer. i want more intimacy, earthy interaction from the power couple. the beard is sexy as hell. and the freudian slip was in keeping with her warrior character. (but my most fervent wish is flashback scene on warworld in the succeeding issues).
    Last edited by technosprite1981; 10-09-2014 at 08:08 AM.

Man this issue was awesome the only thing i have an issue with was that the art was inconsistent at times, but that is just nitpicking i guess. Man clark's little article really seems to be viral though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by technosprite1981 View Post
    how i wish this issue was much longer. i want more intimacy, earthy interaction from the power couple. the beard is sexy as hell. and the freudian slip was in keeping with her warrior character. (but my most fervent wish is flashback scene on warworld in the succeeding issues).
    I too wanted to see more of WW and Mongul and Non. But that was Pak who did the Mongul and Non stuff so not sure we will see anything in SM/WW books. We might see him deal with Non and Mongul again but I think we will see nothing with Diana.

I think Doomed just really ended with several plot holes and it is affected the stories timing and some of the previous threads they laid down. If this was as a result of the re-write...hmm, seriously...they need to plot things better. They drag the event so much in the middle then when the finale comes around, they rush it and clearly cut stuff which left several things hanging. A little better coordination and pacing by the writers please. If they paced better and did not drag then maybe we'd have more cohesiveness overall.

Very nice issue. It's great to have an enjoyable story like this, and it was a good ending to Soule's run.
    Excited about the upcoming team, though!