Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Wow, that was bad!

Monster drinks fuel from petrol station:

Superman: "Where does this go?"

Worker: "The... The pipeline? Brings petrol and crude in from the North Sea rigs. Sends it all over the UK."

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever read in a comic! There's suspension of disbelief and the just plain moronic! In fact, ignorant! Bwa-ha-ha.
    It was pretty damn stupid. Fuel is delivered to petrol stations, not piped to it. There was a fuel crisis back in 2000 when some of our refineries were blockaded: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_pr...United_Kingdom In any case why would a pipeline supplying refined petrol be connected to the North Sea oil rigs - which obviously only supply unrefined crude - even if it did exist?

This might seem like a nitpick to some, but for me, I have no problem suspending disbelief about the weird and wonderful but I don't like obvious made-up rubbish concerning the mundane and realistic, it just feels lazy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by confusiongrows View Post
    It was pretty damn stupid. Fuel is delivered to petrol stations, not piped to it. There was a fuel crisis back in 2000 when some of our refineries were blockaded: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_pr...United_Kingdom In any case why would a pipeline supplying refined petrol be connected to the North Sea oil rigs - which obviously only supply unrefined crude - even if it did exist?

This might seem like a nitpick to some, but for me, I have no problem suspending disbelief about the weird and wonderful but I don't like obvious made-up rubbish concerning the mundane and realistic, it just feels lazy.
    Well, the oil rigs were robotized/automatized. At least I hope they were, or Supes let many people die while he went to talk to Swampy. This is an Earth where the US army has black-hole guns, billionaires have infinite wealth and launch giant satelittes into orbit and 5 years from now we'll all have personal Ispheres with anti-gravity. It nags me that the DC universe has become this separate from RL, but I think you can deposit that fuel pipe + automatized oil rigs/refineries in this category.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dumbduck View Post
    It nags me that the DC universe has become this separate from RL, but I think you can deposit that fuel pipe + automatized oil rigs/refineries in this category.
    Yeah, that's fine and you're probably right TBH, it's just the incredible laziness (confusiongrows hit the nail on the head there) that he couldn't be bothered to just look it up. It's "that'll do" and move on. And I found the entire set up dumb.

I also think, living in the UK, I found it a little offensive.

I'm fine with stereotypes, jokes and most England/UK baiting, I laugh along, but the attitude of just "yeah, all their oil/petrol is piped directly across the whole UK from the North Sea oil rigs" is a bit of an ignorant, lazy generalisation to force in a weak threat for the sake of drama.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Yeah, that's fine and you're probably right TBH, it's just the incredible laziness (confusiongrows hit the nail on the head there) that he couldn't be bothered to just look it up. It's "that'll do" and move on. And I found the entire set up dumb.

I also think, living in the UK, I found it a little offensive.

I'm fine with stereotypes, jokes and most England/UK baiting, I laugh along, but the attitude of just "yeah, all their oil/petrol is piped directly across the whole UK from the North Sea oil rigs" is a bit of an ignorant, lazy generalisation to force in a weak threat for the sake of drama.
    I think you are looking to much into it, mate. While Soule might be technically incorrect (there is no direct link to the oil rigs - just to the refineries), there ARE oil pipelines crisscrossing Britain that do supply certain terminals. If the comic went over the minutia of the whole oil distribution process in the UK, it would have been incredibly boring read, don't you think? So it follows comic book logic after all. I think this is nitpicking.
    On the other hand, if he wrote that Wembley was located in Manchester or that the Underground reaches all the way to Birmingham then yeah that would be lazy, at it affects a setting that he establishes. But in this case, no so much. When it comes to comic book writing there are a lot of compromises. But since this issue is not about an oil drinking plant taking over the UK, I would let it slide.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

I remember once upon a time when Superman used his powers in creative and intelligent ways to overcome adversity. It was a lot more satisfying to read than watching a guest star tap bad guys on the shoulder and make them be good.

It wasn't a bad guy. It had no malice; it was just working on its instinct, and its instinct was that it was hungry. The whole reason why Superman wanted to communicate with it in the first place. And he doesn't and never has had a power at his disposal that allows him to commune with a plant.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It wasn't a bad guy. It had no malice; it was just working on its instinct, and its instinct was that it was hungry. The whole reason why Superman wanted to communicate with it in the first place. And he doesn't and never has had a power at his disposal that allows him to commune with a plant.
    It was a source of antagonism and I'd rather see superheroes use their powers to resolve conflicts rather than diplomacy. I feel that Superman/Wonder Woman #12 failed to utilize the visual medium of comic books by having people stand around and talk it into submission.

If I want to watch characters chew scenery, I'll watch Downton Abbey.
    Last edited by The Beast; 10-15-2014 at 02:50 PM.

Fair enough. I certainly don't mind this every now and again. Its not like the book hasn't been chalk full of action up to now anyway. One of the last things this book can be accused of on a regular basis is not utilizing the visual medium.

I liked this series until the SUPERDOOM crap...this issue was a GREAT jump off point! I loved doomsday stuff back in the day but this superdoom crossover story destroyed the new 52 Superman for me..