Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

Default Silver Age Superman Appreciation!

I didn't see a thread for this, so I figured I'd start one!

I thought I'd begin by asking - what are your favorite Silver Age Superman/Superman Family stories?

Here are mine:
    The Battle with Bizarro (Superboy #68)
    The Girl from Superman's Past (SM #129)
    Superman's Return to Krypton (SM #141)
    Superboy's Big Brother (Superboy #89)
    The Showdown between Luthor and Superman (SM #164)
    Superman Under the Red Sun (AC #300)

I don't want to start getting into specifics right now. For now, just want to say that this is the era that defined Superman. I honestly believe that this is what most people think of when they picture him, at least in terms of his basic personality and attitudes.

When exactly is the SILVER age of Superman? From when to when?

What's the first issue? What's the final Silver age issue before it becomes the BRONZE age?

I always maintained that Brainiac's 1st-ever appearance in Action Comics #242 (July 1958):

was the true Start of Superman's own Silver Age (coming from the previous ATOMIC age), but I'm not sure where it ends.

The breaks between different comic book ages aren't usually as cut and dry as we often try to make them.

That being said, Action Comics #241 (6/1958, the 20th anniversary issue) is considered by most to be the beginning of Silver Age Superman (check out The Krypton Companion by TwoMorrows (http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=386) for more of a breakdown on the ages of Silver and Bronze age Superman).

AC #241 was the issue that introduced a regular continuity into the Superman books and it's the issue that Mort Weisigner truly began his editorial reign (http://sacomics.blogspot.com/2012/08...erman-era.html). Whereas the vast majority of stories before this issue had been one-shots that could be read in any order, starting with this issue and the next one (which you mention), Weisinger and the creators working under him began carefully crafting an expansive and detailed Superman mythos, utilized and polishing many ideas from the past and fashioning those ideas into a canon.

Sliver Age gave us Braniac, Bizzaro, Nightwing(Supes), Titano, Supergirl and LoS etc,so it's the most defining of Superman universe and DCU in general(with Flash,GL etc)..Plus some of the best Supes stories came out of Silver age Supes(Binder,Maggin,Moore)

As for the break between Silver and Bronze Age - the beginning of the Superman Bronze Age is considered to be Superman #233, dated 1/1971 (Superman Breaks Loose! - beginning of Denny O'Neill's Sandman Saga and Julius Schwartz' editorialship). The last issue of the Silver Age would be Superman #232 (a collection of Silver Age reprints), or, if you don't want to include that issue because it's reprints, the previous issue 231 (which was the last issue Weisinger edited).
    Last edited by DetectiveStrange; 10-19-2014 at 03:37 PM.