Let’s keep this short and sweet as real life beckons.
For starters a word of warning: If you don’t like Superman and Wonder Woman together, this issue is not for you. If you like your comics New52 dark and serious, this issue is not for you either. But… if you need a break from crossover frenzy and fancy a light hearted take involving Superman and Wonder Woman and their romance, jump right in.

Story: 9/10
The story centers on Superman reuniting with Wonder Woman after the events in Doomed. Going back to her apartment in London, they discover that the beautiful kryptonian flower that Clark gave Diana way back in issue #1 has turned into an oil-consuming monster. As they track the creature, they get into a spat, Wonder Woman lets slip an “I love you” for Clark, before realizing that Strife is pulling the strings of their discord. She gets to deal with her while Superman enlists the help of Swamp Thing, in what amounts to be a nice little cameo. He subdues the monster, the couple reconciles and face the future with ready determination.

This issue has been wildly anticipated in SM/WW circles and as a final hurrah Charles Soule delivers. I only wish it was longer. The monster itself is silly, being more of a nuisance than a real danger but the simple plot device works so SM and WW can play off each other. There is also a subtext here, as the monster represents a metaphor in the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship (hence the elongated title of the story), mainly that love needs fuel to grow beautiful or risk it turning into something horrible.

There are plenty of funny moments, and touching moments too. Among the highlights: A very emotional reunion in front of a packed Wembley Stadium where Superman relinquishes his privacy completely; a nice little callback to events in Justice League 19; an absolutely wonderful exchange between WW and Swamp Thing that speaks about her character perfectly; and a beautiful SM/WW click-moment near the end, where they talk about fighting for a better world (for everybody and for themselves). For me, this scene is as also about their relationship and their struggles to protect what they hold most precious.

Art: 8/10
I’ve made it obvious that I am not a fan of Jack Herbert’s pencils, but I am glad to say he did a good job here, especially when it comes to the first pages. The touching SM/WW scenes with an accurate depiction of Wembley in the background, are followed by what has to be a pretty decent Tony Daniel impersonation. There are some anatomical quirks here and there but it would be nitpicking. Cliff Richards also handles his pages with aplomb. Unfortunately, Wong’s inks appear overbearing at times, burying the pencils under too much deep shadows. Tomeu Morey’s colors are a delight and definitely enhance the overall pencil work, though some of the final pages appear to be rushed and in need of further touch ups.

Solid writing and a touching story for any SM/WW fan. A great end to a good run. Peter Tomasi has a high standard to follow. Well done, Soule (but perhaps you should stop using the word “perhaps”, Charles…)