Page 75 of 86 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1276
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    you mean the Underworld character or the X-men character?

The answer is no either way. The films inquired about using Blade supposedly (according to Kate Beckinsale but Marvel said no). The X-men character isn't really a vampire so Blade probably doesn't care about her
    I would've been rather excited to see Blade and Selene butt heads ,and team up if the standard crossover rules were applied. Although interestingly enough, the Hellfire Club's Black Queen, according UNDERWORLD co-writer, and co-star Kevin Grevioux , had said Kate Beckinsale's iconic character was partially inspired by the Malicious Marvel Succubus.

Anywho, the Black Queen would make a good foe for Blade. Despite her powers being starting out from her mutant heritage, the woman is also a powerful sorceress to boot. She has also counted the vampire Eli Bard to her personal Inner Circle. From the Roman times to the Nechcrosa. Which by the way, in course of the event, homaged numerous classic vampire flicks' posters on the covers of the X-Force books. It doesn't seem all that out there to see Selene cross paths with the Daywalker in the future.

Mighty Member

I have a feeling we'll see Wesley Snipes in Blade on this Disney streaming service. Seems like those shows will be more closely tied to the general MCU, which I think is a necessity. Blade has more stories with Dr. Strange and Spiderman than anyone on the Netflix line.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I have a feeling we'll see Wesley Snipes in Blade on this Disney streaming service. Seems like those shows will be more closely tied to the general MCU, which I think is a necessity. Blade has more stories with Dr. Strange and Spiderman than anyone on the Netflix line.
    I'm not sure about that. Rumor has it that Disney Play won't have anything 'R' rated on it. While I personally would be all about keeping these properties Pg-13, I don't think Snipes would be a part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm not sure about that. Rumor has it that Disney Play won't have anything 'R' rated on it. While I personally would be all about keeping these properties Pg-13, I don't think Snipes would be a part of that.
    They did say they would put more of their mature stuff on Hulu which would make sense now that they own that company. So any plans that are announced might not necessarily be on the Disney streaming unless stated.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 09-19-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    People keep saying it good thing the daughter thing never happened but where has Blade shown up consistently? That was suppose to happen in 2015. The book 12 issues means 2016, 24 issues means 2017. You could have 2 years with guarantee place where one of your favorite characters would show up. Let's say it got canceled Marvel could be look to rework the concept maybe without the daughter. Maybe they think Nightstalker book is the answer, Maybe they try Blade on the Avengers instead of Ghost Rider. A book will always better than no book. People don't seem to get even if his daughter did replace him at some point as long as she is around he would be back. And when character comes back they can make it a big deal with a mini series even a solo.
    Im with you on this
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Agree. I don't want him "slowing down with age" as a narrative either.

Especially since he's been shelved for a while.

It seems a big part of it is that a lot of writers right now don't seem to be sure what to do with characters that became 90's era tough guys.

There aren't a terribly lot of stories like that right now, and when they do show up they get a HORRIBLE out of character representation like
    the rather stupid Falcon issue: "Misty, baby, you know I always want u/No, blade the falcons more sensitive"cringeworthy meme showing
    up and trotted out. That doesn't quite fit the blade aesthetic as its been presented, in my opinion.

Moreover, and I hate to be that guy, but... I don't want to lose black excellence because the current era push is to tear down "toxic masculinity" and the
    reason I say that is because if I'm honest the good ole' US of A has yet to lose its abject fear of black males and deeper than that, black male sexuality.

Focusing on blades daughter is dodging the major issue that is underwritten in blade. Culturally, america is more afraid of black masculinity than
    vampires. Fascinated and afraid. . . I've had moments in my life where I've listened to black mothers tell their kids how to appear non-threatening in altercations.
    I recently heard Terry Crews appear before a house meeting on the Me too meeting and say how he was taught NOT to react to being goaded, because too many black
    men are goaded out its used as an opportunity to kill them, and he mentioned how the headlines would read... not in his favor.
    I watch the "MOVIE VERSION" of black panther and talk about it and white people loved it... but... he's loved in a movie where he ultimately defeats the untamed, dangerous
    more ferocious, black male. Even in the books he's played as a high moralist, refusing sex whenever it comes up and in someways it works for him, he can't cause cause succession etc.

Fighting for a world that hates and fears him... should be Blades tag-line not Xaviers kids if you give it more than a glance. So focusing on a non-existent daughter is really a waste of time
    for blade fans. I actually probably wouldn't read that, but it would need its own thread to explore fully.
    So, regardless, thats hardly the province of the thread. I wonder what would it take for people to consistently read a blade book.
    Blade needs to win. Win Big. for me at least.

Blade: Bane of the Supernatural
    Thats the title I want. People showing up to him instead of Doc Strange so much so that Steven takes notice.
    He hates vampires, but definitely goes beyond it to deal with other threats and gets cross overs with Moonknight, Danny Rand, and Thor, yes that guy.
    So really he might end up fighting a Deviant horde, Insect Demons, The Hand, The Wendigo, etc.

Edit: I like that blades whole dynamic is that "There are actual supernatural MONSTERS, out there, so whatever you feel or do, whatever every your politics are, in the end we're all just meat.
    Humans fighting humans is dumb.
    If anything, Blade has gotten better with age. Blade now is not the same aggressive hothead he was in the 70s, or the guy from the 90s who's desire to eliminate all supernatural life was both self destructive and dangerous.

He's much more willing to work with mystic themed characters without getting hostile. He's dating a vampire right now, for example. Back in the day, he'd have never even considered such an idea. BTW I happen to think Lady J is good for him.

Anyway, if writers aren't super confident in getting creative with the supernatural element where he's most comfortable, I also wouldn't mind seeing Blade in martial arts themed stories.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

there's no excuse not to do a Blade Halloween issue every year. I don't know why this has seemingly never been a priority. Oh well...
    You know... thinking about legit makes Midnight_V sad. Such a waste and it kinda give the impression marvel never found its way.

Thats the title I want. People showing up to him instead of Doc Strange so much so that Steven takes notice.
    He hates vampires, but definitely goes beyond it to deal with other threats and gets cross overs with Moonknight, Danny Rand, and Thor, yes that guy.
    So really he might end up fighting a Deviant horde, Insect Demons, The Hand, The Wendigo, etc.

Edit: I like that blades whole dynamic is that "There are actual supernatural MONSTERS, out there, so whatever you feel or do, whatever every your politics are, in the end we're all just meat.
    If anything, Blade has gotten better with age. Blade now is not the same aggressive hothead he was in the 70s, or the guy from the 90s who's desire to eliminate all supernatural life was both self destructive and dangerous.

He's much more willing to work with mystic themed characters without getting hostile. He's dating a vampire right now, for example. Back in the day, he'd have never even considered such an idea. BTW I happen to think Lady J is good for him.
    ... Eliminate all supernatural life was a thing that was dangerous and selfish I'll give you that. . . But blade should still want to commit genocide against vampires
    and all predatory supernatural creatures. He might not be acting on that at any given second but thats about drive, patience, available power and having a long game, as opposed to lack of intent.
    Similar to how Doctor Strange in the movies was like... "I'm here to keep extra dimensionals out. If I show you to your father would you leave?", blade isn't incapable of thinking whats the best course but
    as someone who has felt the hunger he knows all too well that vampires are gonna vamp.
    That being said...

Blade "dating" a vampire is ... like the punisher "dating" a Cartel Drug dealer.

It might hit hit some of the more CW/Twilight people in the feels but its everything the character narrative should be against. Its stupid, and much puts him into bat-god levels of hypocrisy.

There has to be MASSIVE guarantees that she's not eating people. But I dont't know enough about "Lady J" to say for sure.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    there's no excuse not to do a Blade Halloween issue every year. I don't know why this has seemingly never been a priority. Oh well...
    A Halloween issue. There is no reason to not a have a Blade book every time Marvel refreshes/rework the line at lowest common denominator Blade is Vampire Punisher or Vampire Wolverine . Marvel should always have a supernatural line Dr strange, Blade and Ghost Rider are three of the four books that should anchor it . The fourth book should be a Team book which be like Avengers is to main superhero line, GoG to the Cosmic line or Uncanny to the X-men line. The Team book would be to keep the characters in the public eye if one of the books the main books fail. They should use which every name works better Midnight Sons or Nightstalkers, Heck call it Avengers Black if needed.

The one compliment I can give Marvel is slow they are realizing that Blade can be used outside of certain style of story and above I mention Wolverine and Blade has all of the same type of characteristic which makes Wolverine popular in stories while being his of course his own unique character. And I saw Ghost Rider on the Main Avenger team and couldn't help thinking that Blade would be more interesting in stories. Anyway It look like some writer had plans for a Shield book and it turning into a new concept I believe that is the most recent appearance of Blade.

Agree. I don't want him "slowing down with age" as a narrative either.

Especially since he's been shelved for a while.

It seems a big part of it is that a lot of writers right now don't seem to be sure what to do with characters that became 90's era tough guys.

There aren't a terribly lot of stories like that right now, and when they do show up they get a HORRIBLE out of character representation like
    the rather stupid Falcon issue: "Misty, baby, you know I always want u/No, blade the falcons more sensitive"cringeworthy meme showing
    up and trotted out. That doesn't quite fit the blade aesthetic as its been presented, in my opinion.

Moreover, and I hate to be that guy, but... I don't want to lose black excellence because the current era push is to tear down "toxic masculinity" and the
    reason I say that is because if I'm honest the good ole' US of A has yet to lose its abject fear of black males and deeper than that, black male sexuality.

Focusing on blades daughter is dodging the major issue that is underwritten in blade. Culturally, america is more afraid of black masculinity than
    vampires. Fascinated and afraid. . . I've had moments in my life where I've listened to black mothers tell their kids how to appear non-threatening in altercations.
    I recently heard Terry Crews appear before a house meeting on the Me too meeting and say how he was taught NOT to react to being goaded, because too many black
    men are goaded out its used as an opportunity to kill them, and he mentioned how the headlines would read... not in his favor.
    I watch the "MOVIE VERSION" of black panther and talk about it and white people loved it... but... he's loved in a movie where he ultimately defeats the untamed, dangerous
    more ferocious, black male. Even in the books he's played as a high moralist, refusing sex whenever it comes up and in someways it works for him, he can't cause cause succession etc.

Fighting for a world that hates and fears him... should be Blades tag-line not Xaviers kids if you give it more than a glance. So focusing on a non-existent daughter is really a waste of time
    for blade fans. I actually probably wouldn't read that, but it would need its own thread to explore fully.
    So, regardless, thats hardly the province of the thread. I wonder what would it take for people to consistently read a blade book.
    Blade needs to win. Win Big. for me at least.

Well said sir. I agree largely with this.

Note tho that when Black Panther was written by black writers, Priest and Hudlin in particular, they did play up his masculinity and sexual attraction/tension from females, unapologetically; Priest had 5 different women at one time within BP's mytho going for him, and Hudlin extended it to the larger MU. This was all prior to his marriage however. Once the marriage ended, we've essentially got the asexual-BP and the simping for his ex-wife BP. It's rather annoying tbh.

In regards to Blade, i never cared for the "daughter" idea (even tho i understand the dire need for more black female representation). Didn't like it for Blade for the same reason I didn't like Riri Williams being used as a peace offering for killing Rhodey, per Bendis and Alfonso. It's just lazy, creates an unneeded conflict of interest, and continues the notion of avoiding masculine black male characters unless it's time to kill, replace, or neuter them. Riri can still exist and a black female vampire hunter in general can exist but they should not be used as an easy-out for the habitual unwillingness to do **** with characters like Rhodey, Blade, and other black characters.

IMO Capcom essentially jacked the Blade formula and ran with it, with the Devil May Cry series and Dante in particular. 20 years from 1998 and Blade in 2018 should've been Dante level badassery in upgraded cool ass gear and abilities, teaming up with dr. strange and/or having a presence in any big events that involve world threatening monsters/aliens/mystical beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    A Halloween issue. There is no reason to not a have a Blade book every time Marvel refreshes/rework the line at lowest common denominator Blade is Vampire Punisher or Vampire Wolverine . Marvel should always have a supernatural line Dr strange, Blade and Ghost Rider are three of the four books that should anchor it . The fourth book should be a Team book which be like Avengers is to main superhero line, GoG to the Cosmic line or Uncanny to the X-men line. The Team book would be to keep the characters in the public eye if one of the books the main books fail. They should use which every name works better Midnight Sons or Nightstalkers, Heck call it Avengers Black if needed.

The one compliment I can give Marvel is slow they are realizing that Blade can be used outside of certain style of story and above I mention Wolverine and Blade has all of the same type of characteristic which makes Wolverine popular in stories while being his of course his own unique character. And I saw Ghost Rider on the Main Avenger team and couldn't help thinking that Blade would be more interesting in stories. Anyway It look like some writer had plans for a Shield book and it turning into a new concept I believe that is the most recent appearance of Blade.
    Well said here as well. It's the habitual wishy-washy lack of interest. It'd be like if Wolverine were black and they said "well, i guess he only deals with 'mutant' issues and he's a loner anyway, so i guess he wouldn't show up much in any x-team books much less crossover events..."

Basically using self-imposed mental blocks to limit their creativity, put him in a box, and ultimately short-change his potential as a far-reaching popular character. That's pretty much Blade.

Fantastic Member

You know... thinking about legit makes Midnight_V sad. Such a waste and it kinda give the impression marvel never found its way.

... Eliminate all supernatural life was a thing that was dangerous and selfish I'll give you that. . . But blade should still want to commit genocide against vampires
    and all predatory supernatural creatures. He might not be acting on that at any given second but thats about drive, patience, available power and having a long game, as opposed to lack of intent.
    Similar to how Doctor Strange in the movies was like... "I'm here to keep extra dimensionals out. If I show you to your father would you leave?", blade isn't incapable of thinking whats the best course but
    as someone who has felt the hunger he knows all too well that vampires are gonna vamp.
    That being said...

Blade "dating" a vampire is ... like the punisher "dating" a Cartel Drug dealer.

It might hit hit some of the more CW/Twilight people in the feels but its everything the character narrative should be against. Its stupid, and much puts him into bat-god levels of hypocrisy.

There has to be MASSIVE guarantees that she's not eating people. But I dont't know enough about "Lady J" to say for sure.
    Blade met Spitfire in Captain Britain & MI13. Roughly 10ish years ago at this kind, I think? Their relationship is pretty interesting so I'd suggest reading that book. But I understand that some things aren't for some readers.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
    Well said here as well. It's the habitual wishy-washy lack of interest. It'd be like if Wolverine were black and they said "well, i guess he only deals with 'mutant' issues and he's a loner anyway, so i guess he wouldn't show up much in any x-team books much less crossover events..."

Basically using self-imposed mental blocks to limit their creativity, put him in a box, and ultimately short-change his potential as a far-reaching popular character. That's pretty much Blade.
    Agree. However, the failing is that people see Blade being "Vampire Punisher" or "Vampire Wolverine" and think... Think is the lowest common denominator is a part of the problem.

That's the Start point for blade, and I think when people look at it like its a LOW point it belies a disrespect for the character's ARCHETYPE .

Nonetheless... unless you let him be LEAD Move maker against "SUPERNATURAL" threats he will stay stuck as the "Vampire assassin" and does put him in a box.

There was this line in I think damnation recently where someone called him "bad at his job", and his comeback was perfect but conceptually... making Blade stories where he's EXCELLENT at his job is a think that they should run with.

I'd read Midnight Sons, Hell I'd read Avengers: Black (even if I find that a bit too on the nose for me to NOT to think marvel was being cheeky), but I do think that based on what I've seen happen its hard to trust him in NON-blade focused
    books because again ... Marvel writers don't seem have a good spot for those 90's tough guy characters, so they deal with him largely with weak nervous laughs.

Now, there are X-offices at marvel and I'm guessing Everything else offices too? Just taking a shot here.

Blade suffers because there ISN'T a VERTIGO (classic) style supernatural line, and there isn't an editorial office assigned to work JUST those books.

Its hard to ignore how Warren Ellis kind of reinvigorated moon knight, and he has an ongoing... and really despite being vertigo alumni, I'm not asking for a savior writer....

I'm saying, first and foremost you need someone dedicated to making the marvel supernatural side work. You also need a writer that either loves Blade in his archetypal form, or who is dialed in on what the best parts of blade are.

Same thing with all things Supernatural at marvel. I hear they did a bang up job with the cosmic stories a few years back, and then... it just ended for whatever reason. They could do a non contrived supernatural storyline as well.

I don't think... damnation was of the same quality as Annihilation and realm of kings. We could get things of that quality but marvel needs someone in charge of the supernatural dept because that doesn't seem to be something they can take seriously too long.
    -Just my thoughts.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Fantastic Member

Agree. However, the failing is that people see Blade being "Vampire Punisher" or "Vampire Wolverine" and think... Think is the lowest common denominator is a part of the problem.

That's the Start point for blade, and I think when people look at it like its a LOW point it belies a disrespect for the character's ARCHETYPE .

Nonetheless... unless you let him be LEAD Move maker against "SUPERNATURAL" threats he will stay stuck as the "Vampire assassin" and does put him in a box.

There was this line in I think damnation recently where someone called him "bad at his job", and his comeback was perfect but conceptually... making Blade stories where he's EXCELLENT at his job is a think that they should run with.

I'd read Midnight Sons, Hell I'd read Avengers: Black (even if I find that a bit too on the nose for me to NOT to think marvel was being cheeky), but I do think that based on what I've seen happen its hard to trust him in NON-blade focused
    books because again ... Marvel writers don't seem have a good spot for those 90's tough guy characters, so they deal with him largely with weak nervous laughs.

Now, there are X-offices at marvel and I'm guessing Everything else offices too? Just taking a shot here.

Blade suffers because there ISN'T a VERTIGO (classic) style supernatural line, and there isn't an editorial office assigned to work JUST those books.

Its hard to ignore how Warren Ellis kind of reinvigorated moon knight, and he has an ongoing... and really despite being vertigo alumni, I'm not asking for a savior writer....

I'm saying, first and foremost you need someone dedicated to making the marvel supernatural side work. You also need a writer that either loves Blade in his archetypal form, or who is dialed in on what the best parts of blade are.

Same thing with all things Supernatural at marvel. I hear they did a bang up job with the cosmic stories a few years back, and then... it just ended for whatever reason. They could do a non contrived supernatural storyline as well.

I don't think... damnation was of the same quality as Annihilation and realm of kings. We could get things of that quality but marvel needs someone in charge of the supernatural dept because that doesn't seem to be something they can take seriously too long.
    -Just my thoughts.
    100% agree with this. As a matter of fact, Guggenheim trying to write Blade in the same vein that he did Wolverine was part why the book in 2006 was such a colossal **** up.

Yes, Blade has a personal animosity toward vampires. For obvious reasons. But he absolutely shouldn't be stuck in that mold exclusively because it's too limiting to the character and only allows him to do one thing.

Ewing got creative in Mighty Avengers, not only acknowledging part of his history that people like, but expanding on it too give blade more connections to other characters in the Marvel universe. That's what people want to see. Seriously, Blade fighting ninja weresnakes and all the other "were-****" he mentioned was both cool and funny.

Writers need to think a little more creatively is all I'm saying rather than repeat the same things with out adding anything new. And no, the "vampires that prey on vampires" thing is not innovative.

Gimme Blade hunting a werewolf in London. I'll take him opposing a cult, bent on summoning an evil spirit into the material world. Blade opposing the evil of the supernatural that constantly seeks to corrupt the soul of humanity is what Blade is fundamentally about.

-Just my thoughts.
    Yea, we're on the same page; which is why i said this:

IMO Capcom essentially jacked the Blade formula and ran with it, with the Devil May Cry series and Dante in particular. 20 years from 1998 and Blade in 2018 should've been Dante level badassery in upgraded cool ass gear and abilities, teaming up with dr. strange and/or having a presence in any big events that involve world threatening monsters/aliens/mystical beings.
    Wolverine isn't just wolverine anymore, as he's had his play from being an Avenger to even being the f'ing Phoenix Force. There's no creative cap or restrictions to what he can be, whereas Blade still seems to be the same Wesley Snipes archetype from '98, in the rare times we do see him appear

Fantastic Member

His question for conversation. Anyone have any particular ideas of where Blade learned all his combat skills? It's likely that he's been around the world quite a bit and picked use stuff along the way.