Page 47 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I'm guessing you've already seen this video

Yepper sadly.

piggy backing off of what DJ1107 said. I get this reviewers points but I disagree with his verbiage and he's cherry picking for his overall argument.

Outside of animation he's been largely in limbo in recent years. Remember that Chaykin series and when Blade was getting punked out by the X-men. He didn't even look like Blade he was this tan biker who looked more like Dum Dum Dugan with he mustache and this dumb haircut.

At least between Al Ewing and some Deadpool appearances he has his look. And whether you liked him in Mighty Avengers or Deadpool: The Guantlet those are probably the best Blade showings in a number of years.

These little cameos you can take them or leave them. I'm not going to tell people how to feel about Gwenepool. The Defenders cameo was just random. It didn't do anything for Blade but it didn't disrespect him to the extent he was getting chumped out to prop out another character. At the v very least he looks cool again. As for the preview for Secret Empire I'll wait till I see the full story.

Limbo isn't always a bad thing imo if it prevents character destruction. You can debate Black Panther right now since AvX or Dark Reign honestly. I actually enjoyed when he turned down the Illuminati in 2006 as it was consistent with his character, but not everyone felt that way. Some people felt he was just being excluded. But look what we've gotten over the past 5+ years of comics. You pick your poison life ain't perfect. At least he's getting a live movie (I don't care for the animated stuff anymore). Some showings have been good others not so much, as to be expected when you open up a character to multiple writers (and he's not named Batman with a mandate).

I think he's slightly more accurate in his assessment of Luke Cage, but he's also a little off too. Bendis has fundamentally changed Cage from the character he was in the 70s and 80s. I'd argue his personality and motives are different. He's also made him a father and bald beyond other things. However, he's also made him very mainstream and you've got to credit him largely with Luke's popularity today and the netflix shows. Granted Luke was in talks for movies before Bendis arrived not the scene, since the 90s, but it just never materialized. I believe he's given the character some positives and negatives. Some bad@$$ action scenes on occasion, but old readers of Cage may not agree with the characters new direction (Jessica Jones etc.). I think Bendis benefits a lot from new comic readers and non-mainstream comic readers. Many people who read Bendis are jumping on for the first time and he uses that to his advantage, with big action set pieces and debatably funny dialogue.

Back to Blade while I'd prefer something truer to the iconic version everyone has in their hearts. These recent little cameos are nothing to get bent out of shape over to me. They are easily ignored or you may even enjoy them and as always they could be much much worse as we saw in the mid 2000s. Will see where Blade ends up during and after Spirits of Vengeance. I'm more interested to see if Marvel Studios actually brings back live action Blade this decade.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Yea. I'm pretty disappointed. Blade's past 4 or 5 stories have been as a comic relief character. Not going to support it.

Fantastic Member

Putting characters that are generally serious in a comedic setting isn't bad in and of itself, for me. But for someone like Blade, who is always at risk of being screwed over or disrespected, it's better to not play around. For someone like Ewing, he knew what he was doing and portrayed Blade as competent, as well as acknowledging his growths as a character from other(quakity) books. So it didn't bother me that he was dressed up in a silly knock off Spider Man get up.

But let's be real, Blade isn't a kid friendly character. He's comfortable in dark supernatural settings. Using him in jokey books doest do much for him when he's already so marginalized to begin with.

Mercenary Agent of Wolfram & Hart's Avatar

Very disappointed in Blade's appearance this week tying in with Secret Empire. The idea of Blade battling the vamps that are empowered by the Darkforce bubble's blocking out the sun, had a lot of potential and here it was wasted on a goofy story with Blade as a substitute teacher
    "The preceding announcement has been paid for by the new World order"

It's a shame that take with Blade as the Giles to a younger buggy type character didn't work out. I wonder who else might want to do the job?

Mighty Member

The images released of Spirits of Vengeance make it look better and better.

Blade's back!
    The J-man

I know there were some who took issue with Gischler's previous writing of Blade, but his debut in SOV #1 was the most hyped I've gotten for him in years. Great intro.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    I know there were some who took issue with Gischler's previous writing of Blade, but his debut in SOV #1 was the most hyped I've gotten for him in years. Great intro.
    It was beautiful.
    IMG_0776.jpg

Fantastic Member

I like that Daimon has Blade's phone number.

Blade's voicemail message is the best.

Man I loved that first issue. Hope the next 4 are equally as enjoyable. Issue #1 really set the table nicely.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    The images released of Spirits of Vengeance make it look better and better.

Who's the guy with red hair and the woman with white hair?

Mighty Member

This book was great. I also love the call back to the 90s depictions of demons posing as humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who's the guy with red hair and the woman with white hair?

They are the Hellstroms

the lady is Satana the man is Daimon
    The J-man