Page 74 of 86 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1276

David Goyer is an idea/concept guy not someone who finely polishes something or implements things to perfection.

I think Al Ewing is a fantastic writer. I love his takes on characters. I'd be extremely happy if he handled Blade again.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Note the following is not mentioned here: any plans to have Blade replaced.
    I didn't say he was going to? The goal was to have Blade begin to slow down and train his more powerful daughter to hunt monsters though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I didn't say he was going to? The goal was to have Blade begin to slow down and train his more powerful daughter to hunt monsters though.
    Your response was "that's exactly what would have happened" to a comment that insinuated that Blade would end up being replaced. Training a character and being replaced by them are two different things. It's like assuming Batman will get replaced every time we get a new Robin.

People keep saying it good thing the daughter thing never happened but where has Blade shown up consistently? That was suppose to happen in 2015. The book 12 issues means 2016, 24 issues means 2017. You could have 2 years with guarantee place where one of your favorite characters would show up. Let's say it got canceled Marvel could be look to rework the concept maybe without the daughter. Maybe they think Nightstalker book is the answer, Maybe they try Blade on the Avengers instead of Ghost Rider. A book will always better than no book. People don't seem to get even if his daughter did replace him at some point as long as she is around he would be back. And when character comes back they can make it a big deal with a mini series even a solo.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    People keep saying it good thing the daughter thing never happened but where has Blade shown up consistently? That was suppose to happen in 2015. The book 12 issues means 2016, 24 issues means 2017. You could have 2 years with guarantee place where one of your favorite characters would show up. Let's say it got canceled Marvel could be look to rework the concept maybe without the daughter. Maybe they think Nightstalker book is the answer, Maybe they try Blade on the Avengers instead of Ghost Rider. A book will always better than no book. People don't seem to get even if his daughter did replace him at some point as long as she is around he would be back. And when character comes back they can make it a big deal with a mini series even a solo.
    Not if it's a bad book. No fan wants another Guggenheim level Blade book.

If they're gonna mess it up, I don't even want them to make the attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWind View Post
    Not if it's a bad book. No fan wants another Guggenheim level Blade book.

If they're gonna mess it up, I don't even want them to make the attempt.
    Yeah as keep explaining that thinking doesn't make sense. Spiderwoman, Quasar, Silver Surfer, Man Thing, Shang Chi,Spectrum, Sleep Walker, Night Thrasher, Black Knight, Electra and I can keep listing them characters that just don't show up any more or just get small apparences. Your favorite character unless they are A-list or iconic can get rotated of general use and could go for 10 to 20 years not see them if ever again as a solo property. A bad book is better than no book, appearance in bad books means you are around for crossovers and events, Events and Crossovers give character another chance to appear whether it is in another book because someone like chemistry or in reprints/collection and fans get to say "hey I miss blade".

The worst thing is nothing.Companies actually get feedback, they are people whose jobs it is get the pulse of fans. A bad book isn't a game killer being non relevant property that is a game killer. A bad book can get new creative team and direction Guggenheim Blade book could be taken over by say Christopher Priest. You guys keep on saying no book is better. We are no closer any blade book and nothing in marvel universe to push us to having a good blade book. If blade daughter had caught on she could have show up in maybe champions or west coast avengers or maybe even in young avengers revival if even her book wasn't that great. Then you know who shows up at some point away from the bad book concept yup that is right Blade.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Your response was "that's exactly what would have happened" to a comment that insinuated that Blade would end up being replaced. Training a character and being replaced by them are two different things. It's like assuming Batman will get replaced every time we get a new Robin.
    First if you're going to use quotations, you should actually quote what I said. I didn't agree that Blade was literally going to get replaced as in he would no longer be in the book, but what that user outlined is exactly what Seeley described was going to happen.

1. Blade slowing down with age?
    "His rage and hate is subsiding as he gets older"
    https://www.indiewire.com/2015/07/me...v-next-153319/

"He’s losing his edge and losing his hate and I think that’s what we’re going to play with in Blade."
    https://www.newsarama.com/25203-seel...de-series.html

2. Grey being more powerful?
    " So she has more elevated abilities than he does and so the ability to walk in the daylight [isn't] that impressive to her when it comes to what she can do."

3. Grey potentially as the main character?

"Amanat explained that the main character is a teenage girl, Fallon Grey; she’s the daughter of the original Blade, Eric Brooks."

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2015/07/1...dass-new-lead/

That plus the bleeding cool story that the new movie would be focused on her.

All of that is exactly why I stated it seemed like it's what they were going for. So no, it's not like assuming Batman will get replaced every time we get a new Robin.

Mighty Member

Not exactly true, as evidenced by the fact the last book did so poorly by Marvel's standards that they shelved the character. I think I remember in issue 12 of that 2006 series that Quesada or someone wrote that sometimes a character is just radioactive and has to be shelved for a bit.

Mighty Member

Not exactly true, as evidenced by the fact the last book did so poorly by Marvel's standards that they shelved the character. I think I remember in issue 12 of that 2006 series that Quesada or someone wrote that sometimes a character is just radioactive and has to be shelved for a bit.

Fantastic Member

Yeah as keep explaining that thinking doesn't make sense. Spiderwoman, Quasar, Silver Surfer, Man Thing, Shang Chi,Spectrum, Sleep Walker, Night Thrasher, Black Knight, Electra and I can keep listing them characters that just don't show up any more or just get small apparences. Your favorite character unless they are A-list or iconic can get rotated of general use and could go for 10 to 20 years not see them if ever again as a solo property. A bad book is better than no book, appearance in bad books means you are around for crossovers and events, Events and Crossovers give character another chance to appear whether it is in another book because someone like chemistry or in reprints/collection and fans get to say "hey I miss blade".

The worst thing is nothing.Companies actually get feedback, they are people whose jobs it is get the pulse of fans. A bad book isn't a game killer being non relevant property that is a game killer. A bad book can get new creative team and direction Guggenheim Blade book could be taken over by say Christopher Priest. You guys keep on saying no book is better. We are no closer any blade book and nothing in marvel universe to push us to having a good blade book. If blade daughter had caught on she could have show up in maybe champions or west coast avengers or maybe even in young avengers revival if even her book wasn't that great. Then you know who shows up at some point away from the bad book concept yup that is right Blade.
    I don't want to see Blade being written in trash books. That's just the bottom line of how I feel.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWind View Post
    I don't want to see Blade being written in trash books. That's just the bottom line of how I feel.
    Agree. I don't want him "slowing down with age" as a narrative either.

Especially since he's been shelved for a while.

It seems a big part of it is that a lot of writers right now don't seem to be sure what to do with characters that became 90's era tough guys.

There aren't a terribly lot of stories like that right now, and when they do show up they get a HORRIBLE out of character representation like
    the rather stupid Falcon issue: "Misty, baby, you know I always want u/No, blade the falcons more sensitive"cringeworthy meme showing
    up and trotted out. That doesn't quite fit the blade aesthetic as its been presented, in my opinion.

Moreover, and I hate to be that guy, but... I don't want to lose black excellence because the current era push is to tear down "toxic masculinity" and the
    reason I say that is because if I'm honest the good ole' US of A has yet to lose its abject fear of black males and deeper than that, black male sexuality.

Focusing on blades daughter is dodging the major issue that is underwritten in blade. Culturally, america is more afraid of black masculinity than
    vampires. Fascinated and afraid. . . I've had moments in my life where I've listened to black mothers tell their kids how to appear non-threatening in altercations.
    I recently heard Terry Crews appear before a house meeting on the Me too meeting and say how he was taught NOT to react to being goaded, because too many black
    men are goaded out its used as an opportunity to kill them, and he mentioned how the headlines would read... not in his favor.
    I watch the "MOVIE VERSION" of black panther and talk about it and white people loved it... but... he's loved in a movie where he ultimately defeats the untamed, dangerous
    more ferocious, black male. Even in the books he's played as a high moralist, refusing sex whenever it comes up and in someways it works for him, he can't cause cause succession etc.

Fighting for a world that hates and fears him... should be Blades tag-line not Xaviers kids if you give it more than a glance. So focusing on a non-existent daughter is really a waste of time
    for blade fans. I actually probably wouldn't read that, but it would need its own thread to explore fully.
    So, regardless, thats hardly the province of the thread. I wonder what would it take for people to consistently read a blade book.
    Blade needs to win. Win Big. for me at least.

Blade: Bane of the Supernatural
    Thats the title I want. People showing up to him instead of Doc Strange so much so that Steven takes notice.
    He hates vampires, but definitely goes beyond it to deal with other threats and gets cross overs with Moonknight, Danny Rand, and Thor, yes that guy.
    So really he might end up fighting a Deviant horde, Insect Demons, The Hand, The Wendigo, etc.

Edit: I like that blades whole dynamic is that "There are actual supernatural MONSTERS, out there, so whatever you feel or do, whatever every your politics are, in the end we're all just meat.
    Humans fighting humans is dumb.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 09-18-2018 at 05:30 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    First if you're going to use quotations, you should actually quote what I said. I didn't agree that Blade was literally going to get replaced as in he would no longer be in the book, but what that user outlined is exactly what Seeley described was going to happen.

1. Blade slowing down with age?
    "His rage and hate is subsiding as he gets older"
    https://www.indiewire.com/2015/07/me...v-next-153319/

"He’s losing his edge and losing his hate and I think that’s what we’re going to play with in Blade."

2. Grey being more powerful?
    " So she has more elevated abilities than he does and so the ability to walk in the daylight [isn't] that impressive to her when it comes to what she can do."

3. Grey potentially as the main character?

"Amanat explained that the main character is a teenage girl, Fallon Grey; she’s the daughter of the original Blade, Eric Brooks."

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2015/07/1...dass-new-lead/

That plus the bleeding cool story that the new movie would be focused on her.

All of that is exactly why I stated it seemed like it's what they were going for. So no, it's not like assuming Batman will get replaced every time we get a new Robin.
    Sounds like Marvel was all set to pull a "Kate Bishop" on Blade. Even if she didn't work out she was still going to replace Blade. Knowing Marvel they would eventually have her call herself Blade as well.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Sounds like Marvel was all set to pull a "Kate Bishop" on Blade. Even if she didn't work out she was still going to replace Blade. Knowing Marvel they would eventually have her call herself Blade as well.
    I kinda thought they were doing that with vision and viv as well except it was... I think in ... champion and I had the idea Vision was being shelved etc.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Hawkeye is still here even with Kate Bishop, Vision is still here with Viv around, Wolverine is still around with X-23, Wasp is still around Nadia here, Spiderman is till around with Miles,Gwen,etc.. What does pull a "Kate Bishop" mean "two characters who keep showing up in books together".

I mean if the fear is shelving a character Blade is already shelved without another character putting him there.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Agree. I don't want him "slowing down with age" as a narrative either.

Especially since he's been shelved for a while.

It seems a big part of it is that a lot of writers right now don't seem to be sure what to do with characters that became 90's era tough guys.

There aren't a terribly lot of stories like that right now, and when they do show up they get a HORRIBLE out of character representation like
    the rather stupid Falcon issue: "Misty, baby, you know I always want u/No, blade the falcons more sensitive"cringeworthy meme showing
    up and trotted out. That doesn't quite fit the blade aesthetic as its been presented, in my opinion.

Moreover, and I hate to be that guy, but... I don't want to lose black excellence because the current era push is to tear down "toxic masculinity" and the
    reason I say that is because if I'm honest the good ole' US of A has yet to lose its abject fear of black males and deeper than that, black male sexuality.

Focusing on blades daughter is dodging the major issue that is underwritten in blade. Culturally, america is more afraid of black masculinity than
    vampires. Fascinated and afraid. . . I've had moments in my life where I've listened to black mothers tell their kids how to appear non-threatening in altercations.
    I recently heard Terry Crews appear before a house meeting on the Me too meeting and say how he was taught NOT to react to being goaded, because too many black
    men are goaded out its used as an opportunity to kill them, and he mentioned how the headlines would read... not in his favor.
    I watch the "MOVIE VERSION" of black panther and talk about it and white people loved it... but... he's loved in a movie where he ultimately defeats the untamed, dangerous
    more ferocious, black male. Even in the books he's played as a high moralist, refusing sex whenever it comes up and in someways it works for him, he can't cause cause succession etc.

Fighting for a world that hates and fears him... should be Blades tag-line not Xaviers kids if you give it more than a glance. So focusing on a non-existent daughter is really a waste of time
    for blade fans. I actually probably wouldn't read that, but it would need its own thread to explore fully.
    So, regardless, thats hardly the province of the thread. I wonder what would it take for people to consistently read a blade book.
    Blade needs to win. Win Big. for me at least.

Blade: Bane of the Supernatural
    Thats the title I want. People showing up to him instead of Doc Strange so much so that Steven takes notice.
    He hates vampires, but definitely goes beyond it to deal with other threats and gets cross overs with Moonknight, Danny Rand, and Thor, yes that guy.
    So really he might end up fighting a Deviant horde, Insect Demons, The Hand, The Wendigo, etc.

Edit: I like that blades whole dynamic is that "There are actual supernatural MONSTERS, out there, so whatever you feel or do, whatever every your politics are, in the end we're all just meat.
    Humans fighting humans is dumb.
    there's no excuse not to do a Blade Halloween issue every year. I don't know why this has seemingly never been a priority. Oh well...