Page 77 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778798081 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1276
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWind View Post
    Anyone think the mist shifting power would be useful to Blade? I hope he gets it one day.

Blade and Michael haven't fought in years. And Blade is consistently a lot stronger and faster these days then he was back in the 70s and 90s which was when the two of them fought most.
    That would be cool. In that Avengers issue he turned into a bat.

Mighty Member

I've always thought the mist would be the coolest power. Pretty much every other vampire hero can do it.

I love the mist power... but not really for Blade. I was never happy with the Daywalker power to begin with, and doubling down on the Super-vamp powers just goes the wrong way for me.

Now, Hannibal King? That's a different story. I like him with full Vampire powers... and a sever hesitance to use them.

I'd like to see Blade have more tech weapons customized to use against different forms of fantasy creatures.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I've always thought the mist would be the coolest power. Pretty much every other vampire hero can do it.
    It'd just be hella useful for moving around quietly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'd like to see Blade have more tech weapons customized to use against different forms of fantasy creatures.
    Personally I've never liked the idea of him using high end technology like the films, but I am down with him picking up any mystic themed weaponry he happens across. I'm surprised he doesn't more often.

Mighty Member

There's a cool Elsa Bloodstone and Blade fusion character in Infinity Wars: Weapon Hex.

I'm not down with mist powers. I feel like throwing extra powers and abilities at a character is a kind of tired and lazy troupe. Blade's already incredibly formidable as it is. Mist powers makes things a little too easy and some writers will mess it up. I'd prefer him as that warrior/master combatant that is a little more compelling narratively and visually.

The Mark Millar hypnosis power is the only new power I'd be okay with. It's pretty minor but can be utilized in some interesting ways, as long as you don't make it like OP full on mind control. Needs to be more like a "Jedi mind trick" or whatever they called it on True Blood (glimmer? glamor?).

Other than that I don't think you really need to tweak Blade that much. Super strength, speed, regeneration and base dhamphir abilities. No flight or shape shifting, outside of winning arguments on a battle board that probably wouldn't serve a good story. Now if Blade got a new high-tech weapon or a mystical sword for a story arc I'd be totally on board with that.

Wish Marvel would get a little more creative with their monsters. Look at the Vampire Hunter D films, the new Castlevania anime. Heck look at the old Blade anime. Supernatural should be creative and surprising not so cookie cutter. To Marvel's credit Blade has been involved in more creative supernatural stories in recent years so I shouldn't complain too much. He's supporting but its better than nothing (Mighty Avengers, Deadpool: Dracula The Gauntlet,Spirits of Vengeance, Gwenepool and a few others).

I'll be honest I'm not feeling the Infinity War comics, but hey Marvel's trying something different I guess. Not going to fault them for that
    The J-man

Castlevannia on Netflix is so good.

Marvel needs to start writing vampires like that again
    The J-man

Is there a reason why we haven't atleast got a Blade mini? When was his last solo, is he trapped in a legal battle or something?

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Is there a reason why we haven't atleast got a Blade mini? When was his last solo, is he trapped in a legal battle or something?
    nope. No legal battles. On the movie tv front Marvel has had good conversations with Mr. Snipes and they've shown respect and interest in the character, but its unclear if and when they will do anything.

Comic wise Blade's had a number of small appearances over the years.

-Recently, he was a member of the Spirits of Vengeance team in a mini series from December to April.
    -He was also in Doctor Strange's Damnation mini series from April to June
    -Guest appearance in Invincible Ironman this summer (June & July I think)
    -He also appeared in the final issues of Falcon before it got axed (it was bad I wouldn't bother reading it)

Like Tracks said he just appeared as an amalgamation with Bloodstone in Infinity Wars: Weapon Hex . I didn't really care for it. Story is really bout Wolverine/X-2 so don't go expecting a lot of Blade.

As far as a mini or a solo its probably been over a decade at this point. He did have a one-shot in 2015 that wasn't terrible. I don't really know what Marvel plans to do with Blade, ever since the series with his daughter got cancelled they've given him a few guest appearances here and there. Honestly he's had a handful of decent showings since 2014, but I wish we got a solo or a mini. I've been saying Marvel should at least do a Blade one-shot every October.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    nope. No legal battles. On the movie tv front Marvel has had good conversations with Mr. Snipes and they've shown respect and interest in the character, but its unclear if and when they will do anything.

-Recently, he was a member of the Spirits of Vengeance team in a mini series from December to April.
    -He also appeared in the final issues of Falcon before it got axed (it was bad I wouldn't bother reading it)

Like Tracks said he just appeared as an amalgamation with Bloodstone in Infinity Wars: Weapon Hex . I didn't really care for it. Story is really bout Wolverine/X-2 so don't go expecting a lot of Blade.

As far as a mini or a solo its probably been over a decade at this point. He did have a one-shot in 2015 that wasn't terrible. I don't really know what Marvel plans to do with Blade, ever since the series with his daughter got cancelled they've given him a few guest appearances here and there. Honestly he's had a handful of decent showings since 2014, but I wish we got a solo or a mini. I've been saying Marvel should at least do a Blade one-shot every October.
    I'm going to tweet them now about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Interesting, I knew about a couple of his appearances but not all of them so thanks for that. Blades situation has always puzzled me, it doesn't make sense for a character that popular. I know he wouldn't sell Wolverine numbers but I think he'd do ok in todays climate.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Interesting, I knew about a couple of his appearances but not all of them so thanks for that. Blades situation has always puzzled me, it doesn't make sense for a character that popular. I know he wouldn't sell Wolverine numbers but I think he'd do ok in todays climate.
    I think a few writers got Blade at Marvel but not everyone did nor did the higher ups. I think if someone high up in Marvel was smart about it and took some initiative we'd see more Blade in the comics. The Blade series in 2006 was weird because Guggenheim didn't even watch the movies at the time so it was kind of a disconnect for a lot of current readers many who were familiar with Blade because of the hit films. I'd argue Marvel never really pushed Blade like they have other characters. Luke Cage. Captain Marvel Jessica Jones etc. These were lesser known characters that were given consistent pushes even when comic sales might dictate otherwise.

Currently they just want to stick Blade on the occasional supernatural team or event.

Back in the 90s they tried to make comic Blade more like movie Blade. He even went through the whole Daywalker upgrade with the Morbius bite in a Spider-Man run. Blade's last solo comic was cancelled in 2006 or 2007 not sure if it even made it to 12 issues. The cover art was really great during that run, best thing I can say honestly. Than they plopped him on Captain Britain and MI13 around issue #5. Blade retained his more modern look (despite him having these random head tattoos/haircut [Tracks and I have debated this lol]) but was written more like his original comic character than the movie version with his British roots. Obviously more mellow than his original Tomb of Dracula version, Blade hasn't been written like that in a while.

Than he popped up in this X-men curse of the Mutants event and that really set Blade back. Gischler wrote him like some normal dude and he was given a Dum Dum Dugan mustace.

However, Blade was getting some decent love in the Ultimate comics. Ironically there was a vampire event going on in that universe with a similar premiss, but the writing was much better. Blade is written like Blade.

Not too long after that I think in 2012 Blade was given a short underrated anime series (12 eps) along with Ironman, X-men and Wolverine. I think the X-men series has the best animation but the Blade series was clearly best in terms or story and creativity. Warren Ellis wrote the script and based it heavily on a combination of elements from the first and second Blade movies, along with some new types of vampires inspired by asian folklore. Ironically he pitched an idea for the Blade series in 2006, but lost out to Guggenheim. Than when Guggenheim got the boot Marvel went back to him but he told them to kick rocks so they just cancelled the book.

Ever since 2014 I think Blade's appearances have gotten a little better and more consistent in the Marvel Universe. Current writers seem to understand the appeal of Blade and realize he needs to be showcased as his most iconic version (modern look, superhuman, skilled fighter etc.).

Gerry Duggan, Brian Posehn, Al Ewing, Victor Gischler (ironically), Nick Spencer, Donny Cates are a few of the writers who seem to like Blade and get why he is appealing in recent years.

He's also made some parody appearances in Gwenpool in recent years. Nothing major tho. Ironically Bendis was just starting to use him randomly. He appeared in the Defenders book to save Luke Cage randomly. And he was working with Shield and Riri Williams, but Bendis is at DC now so I don't expect anyone to follow up on those plots.

I think we need a Blade movie, tv series or cartoon/anime to really inspire Marvel to push Blade again. A handful of writers like him but a number of others don't seem interested in using him. Hell Tom Brevoort tried to get him on the Avengers years ago back when he was in peak popularity and that was shot down so I'm not sure what chance he has now.

I believe Al Ewing has some new supernatural title on the horizon. If it does well maybe Blade can show up there eventually.
    The J-man

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWind View Post
    It'd just be hella useful for moving around quietly.

Personally I've never liked the idea of him using high end technology like the films, but I am down with him picking up any mystic themed weaponry he happens across. I'm surprised he doesn't more often.
    Blade once used the book of the darkhold, and stole the powers of a bunch supernatural beings.
    Blade in the movies used high tech weapons to prosecute his war.

Too many people in the thread imho feel blade should be limited to one style of the other i.e. "MY Blade"
    when really... theres no reason Doctor Doom is the only Technomancer in the world.

Give him a mercenary approach where he does both, curating and collecting whatever he needs. Along with a magics spell or 2 considering he's used books of magic. Not as crutch, NEVER as a crutch but just as a surprise for someone who talks smack about him being melee only etc.

I find it both amusing and annoying that Blade gets resistance from fans from almost any power-up, while T'challa can get: blessing XYZ, The Ebon sword... ooh, lazer daggers, and fainting intensifies.

Let eric have his bag of tricks as well as, I say...
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 11-07-2018 at 01:36 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

At the current point...I don't think Marvel is sitting were they have a reason to push Blade.

Everything, Marvel seems to focus on or push are properties that can be made into Cartoons, Live Action TV, or Movies. Until Disney develops a "darker studio" I'm not sure how much effort they will even be willing to put on characters like Blade. (Which really bums me out btw) The very nature of the character goes against Disneys Family Friendly model, which probably puts Blade on the bottom of their list.

But who knows. Maybe if Disney gets ahold of Fox they could put all of their more Mature characters there while still saving face. *shrug*
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 11-13-2018 at 05:37 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.