Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This was an incredibly weird statement. I didn't really like Bale, but his not being American didn't have much to do with that. It's not like his accent was unconvincing.

BANNED

Wonder if he feels the same way about Cavill, the British actor he co-starred with in Man Of Steel.

It's an odd statement. I don't quite get it.

Well, David Boreanaz was offered the role of Batman in Batman Begins, but turned it down, thus paving the way for Bale, who still had to audition. Boreanaz is American, but I'll leave it at that. Plus, Affleck played a superhero before Bale put on the mask anyway.

It seems that Lennix's point is that Americans have an easier shot at Hollywood than British actors. Indeed, an American can become a comedian or take high school acting classes and hit it big if they've got the right mix of charisma and skill. British actors tend to come from super-exclusive acting schools and prestigious houses and then do years of stagework before coming to America, for the most part. After all, Hollywood is an American institution. And actors from other countries usually toil for some time before striking it in America (Ken Watanabe, Jackie Chan, Liam Neeson, Antonio Banderas, Anthony Hopkins, etc. all had careers in their home countries for at least a decade before crossing the ocean). There are exceptions to the rule of course, but they tend to be young and pretty. That's the way it goes, it seems -- call it home field advantage if you'd like.

--

On a side note, in a way it's the opposite in the Philippines -- Filipino actors of mixed heritage (usually white American) tend to be preferred over there because they're deemed as attractive, particularly males. Many young actors emigrate from the US to the country to work. But then again, in its own way, it's *not* the opposite because again American talent takes the forefront, but I suspect that has more to do with US influence on the country's media, politics, and economy.
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-08-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    should have cast Samuel Jackson as Batman
    I'll be honest, Sam Jackson in his prime as Batman would be the greatest casting ever