• WYTCHES #1

11 36.67%
  • OTHER

1 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Image Comic of the Week Oct 8/14 - Scott Snyder Appreciation Week

Last Week's Winner

The Fade Out once again wins our poll for best Image comic of the week for the second month in a row beating out Rat Queens with 11 votes. The first issue of Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips' neo-noir masterpiece also took away the honors last month. Needless to say this series is a major hit with our readers on this forum.

The first week of the month is notoriously slow for Image but the big story this week is the debut of Scott Snyder's new creator owned series Wytches #1. Will it live up to the hype and how will our readers respond to this new series? Scott Snyder is perhaps the most celebrated writer today, author of the best selling Batman and American Vampire. If you had picked up Batman #35 this week you would've noticed that the cover price of DC's best selling title has gone up to $4.99 from $3.99. This has caused quite a stir on news sites and social media. All week Scott and Greg Capullo have been urging the brass at DC to change their minds and to keep the price of Batman at $3.99. Scott and Greg's efforts have appeared successful as starting next issue the pricing change on Batman has been axed. Good for Scott and his readers. So pick up Wytches as Scott is one of the legitimate good guys in comics today. Also new titles this week is Joshua Williamson's Birthright #1 and Joshua Hale Fialkov's Punks #1.

New This Week

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS
    (W) Scott Snyder (A/CA) Jock
    Across the globe, century after century, men and women were burned, drowned, hanged, tortured, imprisoned, persecuted, and murdered for witchcraft. None of them were witches. They died protecting a terrible and hidden truth: witches, real witches, are out there. They are ancient, elusive, and deadly creatures that are rarely seen and even more rarely survived. This October, superstar creators SCOTT SNYDER (SEVERED, Batman) and JOCK (SNAPSHOT, Batman) unveil WYTCHES, and introduce you to a world of unimaginable horror in a special EXTRA-SIZED FIRST ISSUE with 30 pages of story and no ads for just $2.99
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 10-08-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post

If you had picked up Batman #35 this week you would've noticed that the cover price of DC's best selling title has gone up to $4.99 from $3.99.
    Five bucks per issue is just crazy talk. I've been ordering trades of several Image series for five bucks and that includes 4-5 issues. Long live Image!
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Hmm.....I read quite a bit this week for independents. Here's how it looks, including non-Image titles.

Wytches #1 (This is a special review. Almost every member of the site reviewed this together in one large article)
    Birthright #1
    Pirouette #1
    Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1
    Costume Quest: Invasion of the Candy Snatchers
    Sex Criminal #8
    Shinobi: Ninja Princess #2

So from Image, it was tie between Wytches #1 and Birthright #1 to me. Both incredible books that are worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Hmm.....I read quite a bit this week for independents. Here's how it looks, including non-Image titles.

Wytches #1 (This is a special review. Almost every member of the site reviewed this together in one large article)
    Birthright #1
    Pirouette #1
    Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1
    Costume Quest: Invasion of the Candy Snatchers
    Sex Criminal #8
    Shinobi: Ninja Princess #2

So from Image, it was tie between Wytches #1 and Birthright #1 to me. Both incredible books that are worth reading.
    I had my eye on Pirouette for a while, forgot it was out this week. Of course my LCS is the lamest comic shop in the world, they rarely ever support independent titles so I did not see this there. I would've picked it up otherwise. Good thing I have 2 other amazing shops that is flat out awesome with a huge selection of indies that is close to me. I'll have to drop by to check it out. Sad to hear you did not like it.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I had my eye on Pirouette for a while, forgot it was out this week. Of course my LCS is the lamest comic shop in the world, they rarely ever support independent titles so I did not see this there. I would've picked it up otherwise. Good thing I have 2 other amazing shops that is flat out awesome with a huge selection of indies that is close to me. I'll have to drop by to check it out. Sad to hear you did not like it.
    Oh no no! I did like it, but I did walk away from it angry because I was so pissed off by the villains and how dark it was.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Oh no no! I did like it, but I did walk away from it angry because I was so pissed off by the villains and how dark it was.
    Okay good. I think it was doing it's job, it's suppose to make you angry though . I'm quite certain there will be a satisfying end. I think I'm going to give it a shot, looks terrific.

The jump to 4.99 for a comic is absurd. And its happening quite a lot across the big 2 now.

I voted for Copperhead this weak. Really took off after last issue's introduction to the series. Won't spoil much since its still early, but Ishmael reminds me a bit of The Will from Saga.

Bit of a slow week for me, only Sex Crims and Wytches. Will read Imperial later but I know it won't get my vote....

Sex Criminals was fantastic IMO. Granted it's usually quite a silly comic but this week felt very grounded and behind the funny artwork there is a very deep message that Fraction is conveying beautifully. I could never imagine the book with Zdarskys artwork and the Robert Rainbow page was absolutely fantastic. The end of the comic really really hit home, and Fraction really reminded us that behind all of the 'supernatural/magic' elements of the book, Suzie and John are real people with real emotions. This has to be one of the best books out there at the moment.

I was really pumped for Wytches and although I thought it was good, I was a bit underwhelmed. I don't really think the artwork fits the tone of the book, a few darker colours would have made it a bit more menacing. I will definitely wait for the end of the arc because I think it will gain a lot of traction but it was not a favourite first issue of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    Five bucks per issue is just crazy talk. I've been ordering trades of several Image series for five bucks and that includes 4-5 issues. Long live Image!
    The $4.99 is supposed to have a back-up story to justify the price hike, and Snyder's said he's talked TPTB back down to $4 an issue. But still, this is how $3.99 as standard price started and it feels very much like DC testing the waters to see if they can get away with it. If they can't, I expect to see them chisel away at the page count sooner rather than later. Price creep like this is why Marvel and DC aren't getting my money unless they're offering up something special, not with this 18 pages of story for $4 nonsense.

Once Hawkeye is done Marvel and DC aren't getting anymore money from me. I just can't afford to spend $5 on a single issue comic. $4 is the limit for me. I'll just drop the hobby when $5 becomes the norm, unfortunately.

All-New Member

I read Birthright #1, Copperhead #2, Death Vigil #4 and Wytches #1.

Birthright #1 is good, the last page is awesome. But once finished it, there isn't too much to think about.
    Copperhead #2 is as good as #1. Lots of questions need answers and lots of mystery. I really worried about the two kids until the last page. Wait, whose shoe was that? (Ishmael and Will from Saga? You have to have a lying cat first
    The very first row of Death Vigil #4 shows how well Sejic can draw human face. I even mimicked what Maria did without intention. I found myself enjoy the art more than the story now (not saying the story is bad though).
    I really like Wytches 1. It's just like watching the beginning of a horror movie. However, like the review said, I have no idea what Charles talked about his job. And the end "left off one page too soon" -- its last page is just like Copperhead 2's second to the last. Actually, it'll be a better ending if they end this issue with the second to the last page.

My vote goes to Copperhead, because #1 is always good, but not every #2 can be as good as its #1.

Time to check out Pirouette someone mentioned above...

Kinda off-topic but seeing its making a bit of a ruckus...

Batman is No Longer DC’s First $4.99 Monthly Ongoing Comic Series

Pulp Purveyor & Noir Nut FiveGhosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Price creep like this is why Marvel and DC aren't getting my money unless they're offering up something special, not with this 18 pages of story for $4 nonsense.
    I thought they downgraded to 20 pages...

Quote Originally Posted by lgao View Post
    I read Birthright #1, Copperhead #2, Death Vigil #4 and Wytches #1.

Birthright #1 is good, the last page is awesome. But once finished it, there isn't too much to think about.
    Copperhead #2 is as good as #1. Lots of questions need answers and lots of mystery. I really worried about the two kids until the last page. Wait, whose shoe was that? (Ishmael and Will from Saga? You have to have a lying cat first
    The very first row of Death Vigil #4 shows how well Sejic can draw human face. I even mimicked what Maria did without intention. I found myself enjoy the art more than the story now (not saying the story is bad though).
    I really like Wytches 1. It's just like watching the beginning of a horror movie. However, like the review said, I have no idea what Charles talked about his job. And the end "left off one page too soon" -- its last page is just like Copperhead 2's second to the last. Actually, it'll be a better ending if they end this issue with the second to the last page.

My vote goes to Copperhead, because #1 is always good, but not every #2 can be as good as its #1.

Time to check out Pirouette someone mentioned above...
    I read the same 4 books. For me, Death Vigil #4 was my favorite--it's one of my most anticipated books each month.
    Copperhead continues to intrigue.
    But I couldn't get into either Birthright or Wytches so I probably won't follow either of those.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Wytches got my vote narrowly beating Copperhead which looks really promising moving forward. Black Science, Sabrina, FBP, & Dark Engine were all solid reads. Birthright was another solid book but I was disappointed in the twist ending, it seems to be going in a direction I'm not feeling but I'll hang around for a few issues to see if I'm swayed.....another decent week of books for me though