Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Avengers & X-Men: AXIS, #1

Marvel's next big event is packed with big moments but suffers from uninspired art in Rick Remender and Adam Kubert's "Avengers & X-Men: AXIS" #1.

Full review here.

BANNED

Agree with this review. The art is clearly rushed and in some places flat-out sloppy. Very disappointing.

Also, what's with the page after page after page of groan-inducing one-liners? I wanted to like this, I really did, but I just came away disappointed.

BANNED

The dialogue was awful. Black Widow watches Real Housewives? The X-Men's lines when they arrive? This was a pile of crap. Very rushed and messy. I didn't feel the "danger" the reviewer keeps mentioning, especially considering Stark overrides the Skull here. Finally, why is Cyclops so friendly with the rest of the X-Men? He just refused to do anything in Xavier's name in Uncanny last week. Remender is terrible, and this issue shows it. Even in a generic action epic he can't produce quality work. Plenty of his work is considered offensive to some for different reasons, but this was just outright bad. It smells like Fear Itself.

Honestly, who designed this comic? To say nothing of the plot and dialogue, (which were equally bad) who thought it was a good idea to put AXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXIS bordering almost every page?

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Honestly, who designed this comic? To say nothing of the plot and dialogue, (which were equally bad) who thought it was a good idea to put AXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXIS bordering almost every page?
    yeah, i found that very irritating.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    The dialogue was awful. Black Widow watches Real Housewives? The X-Men's lines when they arrive? This was a pile of crap. Very rushed and messy. I didn't feel the "danger" the reviewer keeps mentioning, especially considering Stark overrides the Skull here. Finally, why is Cyclops so friendly with the rest of the X-Men? He just refused to do anything in Xavier's name in Uncanny last week. Remender is terrible, and this issue shows it. Even in a generic action epic he can't produce quality work. Plenty of his work is considered offensive to some for different reasons, but this was just outright bad. It smells like Fear Itself.
    OK, I liked that all the characters came in at the same time. Sure, it was cheesy, but dammit, comic books are cheesy! It's nice to see superheroes not attacking each other while the world is ending.

However, the dialogue was just awful. Just awful. Remender can't do witty banter, and the man should just accept that. The Avengers' fight against the plant guy felt more like a parody. And the issue did feel lazy. Why the heck were Cyclops, Quentin, and Evan just...there? Can someone explain that? Will it be explained? I'll understand if there were attacked at some point like Rogue, Alex and Wanda were, but it would have been nice to see it, especially before this issue.

Rushed, and out of place. Completely ignoring some continuity. Art and writing is a let down. Forced too soon after Original Sin to get in before Time Runs Out. Should have been shelved all together.

And this "Avengers and X-Men" event is being largely ignored in the main Avengers and X-Men books.
    Last edited by Canucked; 10-08-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Rushed, and out of place. Completely ignoring some continuity. Art and writing is a let down. Forced too soon after Original Sin to get in before Time Runs Out. Should have been shelved all together.
    Well, Thor doesn't have his hammer and he looks like crap, so it's really not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Well, Thor doesn't have his hammer and he looks like crap, so it's really not that bad.
    Lol. Love it.

Also you brought up that housewives bit with Widow. (Cringe)
    Last edited by Canucked; 10-08-2014 at 06:37 PM.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Extraordinary Member

The constant one-liners are very, very weird, though they were kind of foreshadowed by the equally quippy scene with the Avengers in Captain America #25. It's like Remender's trying to capture the quippy tone of the Avengers movie by making a joke in Every. Single. Line. And Iron Man one-liners just aren't that great when they don't have Robert Downey Jr. there to sell the jokes. In the comics, making silly one-liners is what Hawkeye or Spider-Man is there for, not everybody.

Almost all events read like what they are - an idea for an arc in a single comic book inflated and stretched out to become a line-wide event. This one seems even more like that than most, though I didn't find it unenjoyable; at least the heroes were mostly fighting the bad guy this time. But there's no way this story wouldn't have made more sense as a finale for Uncanny Avengers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Lol. Love it.

Also you brought up that housewives bit with Widow. (Cringe)
    It was bad, but can't a girl have a guilty pleasure? But it was bad, so bad...

Everyone who works at Marvel should feel ashamed that this actually made it to print. Every aspect of this book is broken beyond repair, including the logo for the event: clearly SIXIS, but is supposed to be read as AXIS....just because. That's how this entire book seemed like....here it is, just because.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The constant one-liners are very, very weird, though they were kind of foreshadowed by the equally quippy scene with the Avengers in Captain America #25. It's like Remender's trying to capture the quippy tone of the Avengers movie by making a joke in Every. Single. Line. And Iron Man one-liners just aren't that great when they don't have Robert Downey Jr. there to sell the jokes. In the comics, making silly one-liners is what Hawkeye or Spider-Man is there for, not everybody.

Almost all events read like what they are - an idea for an arc in a single comic book inflated and stretched out to become a line-wide event. This one seems even more like that than most, though I didn't find it unenjoyable; at least the heroes were mostly fighting the bad guy this time. But there's no way this story wouldn't have made more sense as a finale for Uncanny Avengers.
    Everyone wants to be Joss Whedon but there can be only one master genius amazing awesome god like Whedon.

Extraordinary Member

I liked it. I liked it, and that's OK.

From what everyone was saying, I thought it would be awful, so my expectations were pretty low.

All-New Member

The issue totally felt weird and out of pace to me.

Most of the X-men that arrive are from JGS + Young Jean (the other 05 are not).
    Where are Emma & the rest of the Uncanny adults?
    Messy dialog, Wonder if this Event us suppose to be a Parody of an Event