Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Can't add anything else, really, but to agree completely with the review as well as what's been said here already.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Bendis can do patter, PAD can do patter Remender can not do patter/

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    Bendis can do patter, PAD can do patter Remender can not do patter/
    You'd assume an editor would be, you know, editing, wouldn't you?
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Look at who the editor is. This is what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Look at who the editor is. This is what he does.
    You'd assume a few notes like "Your one-liners aren't working" or "Cut back on the attempts at humour" or "explain where all these characters are literally just appearing from" would have been sent around.

I feel like they should've just shelved this event until after Time Runs Out and perhaps even this Avengers NOW! Nonsense has run it's course.

I said in another thread that I felt like I should have liked the issue more than I did-but there was just so much mess convoluting it that it just made my head hurt. Chief among that list of slop is the outright disregard for what is going in what is frankly a superior run going on over in Time Runs Out.

That's a shame too, because most of the UA run was really good and I had been really looking forward to this. But coupling this muddled event along with Marvel's PC movement and it's turning into a letdown.

Does anyone even know the premise of this event yet? Is it just beat up Red Onslaught? I guess I will say I kind of like not knowing exactly what the point of the event is in most cases, but here I feel like it may help answer some questions.

Extraordinary Member

If this was what it was as a finalized draft, what was the original draft? Was it just people breaking through walls and yelling about organic bread?

This sounds like Fear Itself. I half expect Cul to be behind this worldwide outbreak of hatred.

I actually really enjoyed this and wasn't really expecting much. I went into it with my expectations pretty low because I've been disappointed before by a lot of books that get built up and then just don't deliver, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I do agree with other that the art in places look rushed and pretty dang sloppy. I was really surprised to see in several panels characters in the background (such as when Rogue is trying to get Wanda out of the way of Onslaught) they weren't even outlined and the colors looked like they were sloppily slapped on them to kind of sort of resemble the shape of a person's body. It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't happened so much in the book. Also, I agree that the AXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXIS border was pretty cheesy.

All this being said, though, I still enjoyed the issue, and I liked that it seems like Rogue might get more of a spotlight.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

ROTFLMAO. At Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The constant one-liners are very, very weird, though they were kind of foreshadowed by the equally quippy scene with the Avengers in Captain America #25. It's like Remender's trying to capture the quippy tone of the Avengers movie by making a joke in Every. Single. Line. And Iron Man one-liners just aren't that great when they don't have Robert Downey Jr. there to sell the jokes. In the comics, making silly one-liners is what Hawkeye or Spider-Man is there for, not everybody.

Almost all events read like what they are - an idea for an arc in a single comic book inflated and stretched out to become a line-wide event. This one seems even more like that than most, though I didn't find it unenjoyable; at least the heroes were mostly fighting the bad guy this time. But there's no way this story wouldn't have made more sense as a finale for Uncanny Avengers.
    This event sounds like a simple fight, that turns into a chain reaction of unexpected results, after Magneto kills the Red Skull. This should have just been an X-Men book, but once Onslaught got involved, it completely changes what the Red Skull had in mind and makes it an Avengers story. 1944 Red Skull is acting completely wacko, considering the 3rd Reich never came in 2014. Is he crazy enough to think he can reverse the end of WW11?
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-10-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Honestly, who designed this comic? To say nothing of the plot and dialogue, (which were equally bad) who thought it was a good idea to put AXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXIS bordering almost every page?
    Actually, it wasn't on "almost every page." It was on 10 out of 30 pages. And those were the prologue pages and final page. I thought it was a bit silly and pointless but let's not exaggerate.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    This sounds like Fear Itself. I half expect Cul to be behind this worldwide outbreak of hatred.
    I actually think Fear Itself had a stronger start. The ending was horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    I actually really enjoyed this and wasn't really expecting much. I went into it with my expectations pretty low because I've been disappointed before by a lot of books that get built up and then just don't deliver, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I do agree with other that the art in places look rushed and pretty dang sloppy. I was really surprised to see in several panels characters in the background (such as when Rogue is trying to get Wanda out of the way of Onslaught) they weren't even outlined and the colors looked like they were sloppily slapped on them to kind of sort of resemble the shape of a person's body. It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't happened so much in the book. Also, I agree that the AXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXIS border was pretty cheesy.

All this being said, though, I still enjoyed the issue, and I liked that it seems like Rogue might get more of a spotlight.
    It's nice to see someone feels the same way I do. Sure, this issue was pretty bad, but it was enjoyable too. I think people had surprisingly high expectations about this event.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    And this "Avengers and X-Men" event is being largely ignored in the main Avengers and X-Men books.
    Let's hope so. I would hate for a thrown-together side story like this to mess with the ongoing stories in the main books.

I actually liked it. It was fun. Last big event I read was Avengers vs X-Men. I pretty much only bought Superior/Amazing Spider-Man and Deadpool. I had some cash and was a bit curious and wanted to get more than 2 comics.

Will every issue be $4.99 though? Looking at some Avengers books... scared me. Like 40% of the books were $4.99.