Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Rushed, and out of place. Completely ignoring some continuity. Art and writing is a let down. Forced too soon after Original Sin to get in before Time Runs Out. Should have been shelved all together.

And this "Avengers and X-Men" event is being largely ignored in the main Avengers and X-Men books.
    well, Avengers and New Avengers are now 8 months in the future. as for the X-Books...yeah you would think these events would have weight.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    This sounds like Fear Itself. I half expect Cul to be behind this worldwide outbreak of hatred.
    This garbage makes Fear Itself look like classic literature by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    It's nice to see someone feels the same way I do. Sure, this issue was pretty bad, but it was enjoyable too. I think people had surprisingly high expectations about this event.
    That's exactly how I feel about it. I mean... I didn't go into this thinking it was going to be absolutely amazing. I really just thought it sounded interesting and would be a fun read and story to follow, and this is my first Avengers/X-Men crossover event so yay

Quote Originally Posted by prescribeddrone View Post
    Will every issue be $4.99 though? Looking at some Avengers books... scared me. Like 40% of the books were $4.99.
    Unfortunately, it sure looks that way right now :\ Marvel is probably the worst at putting out the most books that are priced at $4.99, particularly for events. Death of Wolverine has been $4.99 every issue. I don't mind paying a bit more if there's extra stuff in the books (DoW has had director's cut extras in the back of each issue, for instance) and AXIS seemed longer than most issues, but it'd be nice if the price was lower for each subsequent issue.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    This garbage makes Fear Itself look like classic literature by comparison.
    How can you say that when we're only one issue in? We're literally ONE issue in of a nine issue story and we're not even getting into the meat of the story. You people were expecting far too much of this event.

How can you say that when we're only one issue in? We're literally ONE issue in of a nine issue story and we're not even getting into the meat of the story. You people were expecting far too much of this event.
    The FIRST issue of a nine-issue story should not be lame. Sorry -- this issue, which is supposed to make you want to stick around for the reminder of the series and maybe pick up some tie-ins, was just awful. So yes, it's perfectly fair to say that based on 1 issue, this makes Fear Itself seem like a work of art. If anything, that first issue was pretty smart. It just couldn't hold up it's ideas. And Immonen's art was very very well-regarded thoughout the run. So yes, we are all expecting a lot of this event in light of Marvel's recent disasters, like Original Sin. Even Infinity, which was a nicely told tale, was by no means an "event," unless you maybe like the Inhumans. But from a what does it mean to the MU, zilch. Worthless hype for a story Hickman should've just told in Avengers/New Avengers.

S en vents tend to go DOWNHILL from the first issue, And this one is starting in a pit. If you can't get the first story right things don't look good for the remainder of the event

I've been a big fan of Remender's work, but I do think deadlines (plus his stellar Image work) are just beating him down. Uncanny Avengers has been solid -- just good stuff. And I think I'm in the minority here, but his Dimension Z Captain America arc was fantastic. But he's been struggling, I think, with the last few issues of these books, like he's trying to wrap up a lot of story arcs to meet Marvel's deadlines, and it's made his writing suffer. As noted, the terrible one-liners that punctuated this issue and Captain America 25 were just cringe-inducing. He's spent so much time building to this -- two years roughly, if not more counting X-Force -- that it hurts that the issue was not epic.

And while complaining, just why is Marvel trying to force all these storylines into some larger continuity-frustrating context. Part of me just wants that Aaron, Remender and Hickman can tell there stories in their issue without needed make-believe, universe-shattering events force everything into alignment. I think Remender's Captain America could've been so much better after Dimension Z is it had room to breathe for more than 25 issues. Anyway, I can keep ranting. Fingers crossed this does improve (and they get rid of AXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXIS from the top of every page)

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    well, Avengers and New Avengers are now 8 months in the future. as for the X-Books...yeah you would think these events would have weight.
    Yeah but it's poor planning to have a big avengers event during a time when you can't involve the avengers books. And Bendis doesn't care. He's says he's going with one thing that comes out of this. As for he rest he probably won't touch. We may never know how cyclops got there unless Remender tells us. Bendis won't touch it with a 12 foot pole. So it's the flattest "avengers and x-men" event. So rushed and shoved into a schedule. Remender gonna Remender.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by cajun2de View Post
    The issue totally felt weird and out of pace to me.

Most of the X-men that arrive are from JGS + Young Jean (the other 05 are not).
    Where are Emma & the rest of the Uncanny adults?
    Messy dialog, Wonder if this Event us suppose to be a Parody of an Event
    Especially since Young Jean and the rest of the All-New X-Men are supposed to be over in the Ultimate universe right now. Continuities can be frustrating sometimes. I'm gonna have to assume Axis takes place after they get back.

Wish Remender would get onboard with what the other books besides Uncanny Avengers are doing, that would help this story a lot. The editor should start pulling the reins in a little, enough is enough.

Couldn't help but think I've read this story already in "Onslaught Unleashed", which so far, is a much better read. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by themortalfist View Post
    I've been a big fan of Remender's work, but I do think deadlines (plus his stellar Image work) are just beating him down. Uncanny Avengers has been solid -- just good stuff. And I think I'm in the minority here, but his Dimension Z Captain America arc was fantastic. But he's been struggling, I think, with the last few issues of these books, like he's trying to wrap up a lot of story arcs to meet Marvel's deadlines, and it's made his writing suffer. As noted, the terrible one-liners that punctuated this issue and Captain America 25 were just cringe-inducing. He's spent so much time building to this -- two years roughly, if not more counting X-Force -- that it hurts that the issue was not epic.

And while complaining, just why is Marvel trying to force all these storylines into some larger continuity-frustrating context. Part of me just wants that Aaron, Remender and Hickman can tell there stories in their issue without needed make-believe, universe-shattering events force everything into alignment. I think Remender's Captain America could've been so much better after Dimension Z is it had room to breathe for more than 25 issues. Anyway, I can keep ranting. Fingers crossed this does improve (and they get rid of AXISAXISAXISAXISAXISAXIS from the top of every page)
    I think in part the point of Hickman's 8 month just was to give him some breathing space so he could tell whatever story he wanted without it necessarily being effected by Axis.

But that IS an issue with big company wide cross overs. Everyone for that one bit of time does need to line up to some degree. And when they don't, the internet has a field day over it. And that wasn't something you necessarily needed to love sleep over back in 84 when the original Secret Wars first came out.

If this was what it was as a finalized draft, what was the original draft? Was it just people breaking through walls and yelling about organic bread?
    Ha!

Yeah, this was a big muddled mess, and I don't just mean the art.

I'm usually not very critical but man, this was a huge let down. The dialogue seemed so clunky and ill-fitting. I'll admit, I'm only just catching up with Uncanny Avengers but Remender is a better writer than this issue suggests and Kubert is certainly a better artist. I'm given to think there may have been some editorial dropping the ball along the way here. I skipped Original Sin but I was interested to read this and it's done nothing to encourage me.

That said, it's only the first issue so I'm confident the quality will pick up.

The random "AXIS" borders....WHY!???? Please cut it out marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Does anyone even know the premise of this event yet? Is it just beat up Red Onslaught? I guess I will say I kind of like not knowing exactly what the point of the event is in most cases, but here I feel like it may help answer some questions.
    Act II I believe? An "Inversion" occurs somehow which switches everyone to their supposed opposite personalities, which is where Superior Iron Man comes from, a team of Avengers led by Dr Doom, Carnage trying to be a hero, etc