Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Back when Barbara was originally Batgirl she had a real job as a librarian and later a Congress woman

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    But to a lot of people, that's what they believe DC should be doing. DC should be trying to reach out to fandoms that don't necessarily fit into the same old molds of comic fans who started reading in 1986.

Do you know who would want to read a book about a 20-something-year-old superheroine who lives a similar life to 20-something-year-olds all over the country? Uh...20-something-year-olds.

Plus, I think you're confusing the term "hipster" with what is essentially just a typical young urban/indie scene, which is something many people do. This is essentially how my sister lives (she lives in New York City) and she is most definitely not a hipster. A hipster is someone who claims that they knew of everything "first" (as in, before it became popular) and then refuses to enjoy things (that they might have enjoyed in the past) once they become "mainstream" because they're just too cool for that. I should know...my old roommate was a hipster.

One thing I'll always remember is when we went to go see his "favorite" band at a bar in DC and when we were walking out I said to him "Hey. That was pretty great." and then he said "Yeah...but, crap! There were way too many people in there. I have to find a new band to listen to now."
    i think it's great that DC is reaching out to a new demo. or embracing a demo that has always been there but just hasnt been acknowledged.
    im just saying it's not for me. thats why i said to each their own. i still say the people featured were hipsterish. but im 30 so i guess that makes me an old fogey who doesnt get today's youth

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by napolid View Post
    Batgirl aside, that sounds like something a writer would say, so they could force a character around their plot. You probably feel that the Carol and Kyle relationship is a breath of fresh air, or that Harley Quinn murdering kids is normal because she is a villain.
    There's a difference between a character acting nonsensically to fit a plot, and a character acting different because the plot is about giving her a new life, new experience, and new path. But keep boxing those phantoms.
    Last edited by Kid A; 10-09-2014 at 09:06 PM.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

To all the people who claim she's 'out of character':

Don't you think if the story is even calling her out on being OoC, that maybe it's on purpose, and not because the creative team doesn't understand the character? It's leaning heavily to the fact that there's an in story reason she's OoC. Couple that with the fact that future soloicits talk about a doppelgänger (who texted her at the end of the issue, apparently) and things start making more sense.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Its suppose to be out of character.
    This guy's picking up what they're laying down.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

BANNED

I wouldn't say it's so much "out of character" but rather showing a side of her that hasn't been seen in Simone's run. There's a shift in character to accompany the change in tone, but it's not like it necessarily contradicts what we know about her from her previous characterization.

Spectacular Member

I liked this a lot. I like that Barbara is just kind of a cute, brilliant, kid. I feel like this is something that y wife could read and enjoy. We're only 22 and 23 so maybe were just the right demographic, but I can see this book taking off.

Also I love that this was three dollars and it took me a good twenty minutes to read it. The only other books that give me much time of entertainment are Batman and JL3000. However this is cheaper than batman, and more self contained that JL3000. I bought this just expecting to try it out but I may keep getting it.

Love that costume!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Couple that with the fact that future soloicits talk about a doppelgänger (who texted her at the end of the issue, apparently) and things start making more sense.
    They do? How so?

Speaking for meself, I didn't find Babs behavior wildly out of character. To me, this seemed pretty much like the person Babs wanted to be, but her constant guilt-tripping and Simone's odd reluctance to ever give her a break meant we never really saw this side of her. But it doesn't feel like a huge shift in persona.

However, going back to your original post, if we do take this as OOC behaviour for Babs, what would the doppelganger have to do with anything we saw in this issue? The solicits for #37 say "The Batgirl of Burnside is the name on everyone’s lips…but she sure is acting strange since she took up residence in Gotham City’s outer borough! Dangerous joyrides? Photo ops? Sequins?", suggesting it's Batgirl who is acting out of character, not Babs herself. I'm just curious as to what you're suggesting, in terms of how someone presumably posing as Batgirl offers an explanation for Babs' behaviour (for those who feel it needs an explanation) in this issue?

Some of the criticisms here are so over the top. Barbara is being "stripped of her core" and reduced to a hipster party-zombie? If she was getting high and puking in a gutter every other issue for a year, you guys might have a point, but really folks. And pre-Killing Joke, did Barbara Gordon really have such an established personality to begin with in those 70's stories? It's not like the writers are betraying years of agreed upon character traits. And even if they did, isn't that the point of rebooting the universe?

BANNED

I think people just miss Oracle.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    To all the people who claim she's 'out of character':

Don't you think if the story is even calling her out on being OoC, that maybe it's on purpose, and not because the creative team doesn't understand the character? It's leaning heavily to the fact that there's an in story reason she's OoC. Couple that with the fact that future soloicits talk about a doppelgänger (who texted her at the end of the issue, apparently) and things start making more sense.
    I don't see how that relates to her making out with a guy though. I don't mind the kissing as other seem to do, but your justification for that seems like a bit of a reach. I think the doppelganger plot is relating to someone else impersonating Batgirl- I highly doubt the story will later ~reveal that the reason why Barbara kissed a guy is because this new villain slipped drugs into her drink and forced her to act OOC as a devious plan to have her catch an STD or something.
    I just took the OOC part as her way of trying to let loose for once. She is supposed to be OOC in that panel, yes, but only because she's still figuring out where she's at currently in her new life.

Babs doesn't party, drink, or make out with random dudes. So when she does try it, in an attempt to "have fun" and change her outlook in the face of all her recent misery, she does it very badly. So badly it blew up in her face. Literally. She partied so badly that it actually even blew up all her Batgirl stuff.
    Seems to me like this is going to be a process. Babs is going to have to learn how to let loose and have fun. Her first attempt was bad, very bad, Dinah owes her a real kick in the ass. But Babs is quite resilient, and pretty smart. So i think its going to be interesting to she her try it again. Hopefully she learns and does better after her crash and burn.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 10-10-2014 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    They do? How so?

Speaking for meself, I didn't find Babs behavior wildly out of character. To me, this seemed pretty much like the person Babs wanted to be, but her constant guilt-tripping and Simone's odd reluctance to ever give her a break meant we never really saw this side of her. But it doesn't feel like a huge shift in persona.

However, going back to your original post, if we do take this as OOC behaviour for Babs, what would the doppelganger have to do with anything we saw in this issue? The solicits for #37 say "The Batgirl of Burnside is the name on everyone’s lips…but she sure is acting strange since she took up residence in Gotham City’s outer borough! Dangerous joyrides? Photo ops? Sequins?", suggesting it's Batgirl who is acting out of character, not Babs herself. I'm just curious as to what you're suggesting, in terms of how someone presumably posing as Batgirl offers an explanation for Babs' behaviour (for those who feel it needs an explanation) in this issue?
    Okay, I see where you're coming from, and you may be right. I'm just thinking there could be a relation between the way she was acting and that solicit, but it could very well be just pertaining to the Batgirl persona and not Babs's.

Even excluding that, everything I said before it can still ring true. If the book is even calling her out on being OoC, then I'm sure it has something to do with the story, and not that the writer just don't 'get' Babs.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeelad View Post
    I don't see how that relates to her making out with a guy though. I don't mind the kissing as other seem to do, but your justification for that seems like a bit of a reach. I think the doppelganger plot is relating to someone else impersonating Batgirl- I highly doubt the story will later ~reveal that the reason why Barbara kissed a guy is because this new villain slipped drugs into her drink and forced her to act OOC as a devious plan to have her catch an STD or something.
    I just took the OOC part as her way of trying to let loose for once. She is supposed to be OOC in that panel, yes, but only because she's still figuring out where she's at currently in her new life.
    I actually have toyed with the idea that she could've been slipped a Mickey. I still think there's a possibility they might play that card.

I liked this comic, but the shift in tone is quite dramatic. I can certainly understand the out-of-character criticisms. It does feel like a bit of a soft reboot of the character, something I am OK with.

My favorite part was that Batgirl wasn't dealing with some kind of rapist/murderer/serialkiller/darkbloody threat. Although I generally enjoyed the way Gail Simone wrote those stories, it is very, very nice to see one of DCs younger, female characters deal with something as simple as an internet blackmailer and still have it be an engaging story.