Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    BANNED

Chris Claremont: Savior of X-Men and Carol Danvers

Thanks to Claremont the marvel character Ms. Marvel evolved into the marvel character Binary!

Same thing happened in 2019 in the Marvel Cinematic Universe!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Chris Claremont: Savior of X-Men and Carol Danvers

Thanks to Claremont the marvel character Ms. Marvel evolved into the marvel character Binary!

Same thing happened in 2019 in the Marvel Cinematic Universe!
    I'd say he's been both destroyer and saviour to Carol Danvers. Granted she was in Limbo (literally) at the time but he basically annihilated the character in favour of one of his own creation, then re-created her as another character and shipped her off to space. I loved every bit of it but I'm not sure I'd say he saved Ms. Marvel

Astonishing Member

Who could hate the person that gave us Stevie Hunter?

I'm not a fan of his post '90s work but there is not one story I dislike from his original run. My favorite storyline is the Brood Mutants that took place in Uncanny X-Men #232-234. I know they all died but I always waited for Claremont to bring them back.

Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 06-06-2021 at 04:20 PM.

I'm sure someone has said this already, but I remember the backlash and groaning when Claremont returned in the 2000s and how it seemed like he was trying too hard to cater to the current audience, or that he was past his prime or such.

But then here comes Hickman using a number of concepts from 2000s-era Claremont, and in particular the key role of Destiny's diaries, Sage's role (even though Tessa debuted over 20 years earlier, her role as hyper-competent living computer going by the name of Sage was a 2000s Claremont invention), and Karima Shapandar's return as part of ORCHIS. In a way Hickman is giving Claremont the ability to have the last laugh. Hickman wouldn't have those concepts and characters to use had they not been invented by Claremont.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm sure someone has said this already, but I remember the backlash and groaning when Claremont returned in the 2000s and how it seemed like he was trying too hard to cater to the current audience, or that he was past his prime or such.

But then here comes Hickman using a number of concepts from 2000s-era Claremont, and in particular the key role of Destiny's diaries, Sage's role (even though Tessa debuted over 20 years earlier, her role as hyper-competent living computer going by the name of Sage was a 2000s Claremont invention), and Karima Shapandar's return as part of ORCHIS. In a way Hickman is giving Claremont the ability to have the last laugh. Hickman wouldn't have those concepts and characters to use had they not been invented by Claremont.
    I think CC can still come up with some good concepts because he knows these characters backwards and forward... since he created so many of them. The problem though is that he's just isn't a modern writer and the scope of comics and the X-World has changed so much. He used to write one or two series that were intimately linked. When he was writing Uncanny, his stories were contained and his cast of characters pretty tight. He only needed to introduce relatively harmless supporting characters and didn't have to worry about how they would fit into the universe. IMO, he just can't create good new characters anymore.

I'm glad you pointed out Hickman plucking some of CC's more standout recent contributions. I like Sage, but the Tessa retcon is better if you don't think about it too much haha. As you mentioned, people criticize CC for trying too hard and I think it's true. He really tried to make Sage a femme fatale during X-Treme, but I liked his original take on her more.

Mighty Member

Chris Claremont should write New Mutants again. The original team I mean, his New Mutants was the best and gave equal attention and development to every member.

Later writers just treated them like X-babies except Zeb Wells
    Last edited by ericng; 06-06-2021 at 10:10 PM.

Fantastic Member

The thing I like about Claremont's writing is that he writes characters very well. Whenever you finish reading his work, it's more than just a story, it's a personal invitation to get to know that individual character better. When his writing is at his strongest, that's the biggest take away and what makes you fall in love with his work.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Chris Claremont should write New Mutants again. The original team I mean, his New Mutants was the best and gave equal attention and development to every member.

Ditto. Ditto, ditto.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

As a super Claremont fan, even I will admit his "Revolution" run was plagued with overwriting, too many new villains, too many weird takes on characters and a lack of focus. Compare that run with X-Treme X-Men and it's night and day. That said, I also believe the timing of it was unfortunate: at the end of the 90s and early 2000s all people wanted was edgy, bastard anti-heroes, snappy dialogues and wide-screen action. The time was right for The Authority, The Ultimate and New X-Men, not Claremont's old-style prose. I believe had that run happened at another time it might not have been so ill-received (although like I said, it did have its problems objectively)

Claremont forever.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Thank you for this thread. I hope he reads it.

Chris Claremont’s the best X-Men writer ever. Period. He could still do it, if Marvel stayed out of his way. Claremont is THE giant, the greatest among all the X creators.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post

Especially Louise Simonson. She basically turned New Mutants into Power Pack featuring older characters.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 06-07-2021 at 10:02 PM.

BANNED

In agreement in regards to Claremont forever and Claremont is THE giant.