Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by broski View Post
    They should just put him back on Uncanny X-Men for the 75th anniversary.
    Seconded and lengthened to post.

Yeah, I seriously doubt that I (or MANY others) would ever have gotten into the X-Men had it not been for Claremont. The guy really led the way in strong characterizations, particularly in females, who had been kind of ignored in general before him. He wrote meaningful stories as well as great action scenes, and when he was/is on his game, he is a master at conveying emotion and eliciting it in his readers. Heartfelt, empathetic, insightful and often poetic, the guy is a really good writer. Yep, he's done stuff I didn't care for (I actually dropped the UXM around the Mutant Massacre timeline because I just thought things were getting stale and he didn't seem to have his heart in it as much), but overall, what a treasure he's been.

Great work on Marvel Team Up and Man-Thing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Christ Claremont?
    He died for the focused totality of all our sins.

Now it's my turn.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

BANNED

Chris Claremont is the greatest of all time. He built this entire mountain. This forum wouldn't exist if he didn't drag this franchise from cancellation and into greatness.

Nightcrawler #7 renewed my faith in comic books. So much trash over the years had poisoned my love for the X-Men, until now. If I ever am lucky enough to meet Mr.Claremont in person, I really hope I can give him a hug. I just can't think of any other way to thank him for not only being my hero, but for giving me heroes to look up to. Rogue and Gambit especially.

Of course, this is assuming that I wouldn't go into total fan girl mode and hyperventilate until I passed out, lol. The man is just plain amazing.

He needs to accept all the friend requests he has on facebook already. haha. Luckily i got my sent before his requests filled up but now he just has to accept people.

Somebody actually got on him for the issue coming out before the final DOW issue and i had to laugh. Finally someone pointed out to that guy that the date of DOW #4 was pushed back and if that was released on schedule Nightcrawler #7 would have came out after. Like CC told the dude. Talk to editorial. lol.

He has maxed out on facebook(they only let you have 5000 as a person, not a company or whatever). Chris Claremont's X-Men is X-Men to me. Morrison's run was very interesting, and there have been some good stories here and there, but his classic run is the Gospel. I loved his X-Treme too. That and Morrison's New X-Men brought be back into the fold. It was soooo sad when they ripped Storm from his loving embrace to be married off to BP. You could feel his heartbreak in that Annual.

Please Marvel, we know you are stilted by Fox using the IP you sold to them in your darkest financial straits in the 90's, and don't want any more good content for the X-Men as a result, but please, just let Chris have X-Myn. It's filled with the Claremazons he crafted. Let him have just one little satellite comic.

Gods of the earth and air, so mote it be!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Omega View Post
    That's too bad. He's a very friendly person and probably would've liked to have discussed your art with you
    I know, I'm a total jerk X( . And he was so kind when I told him all my story about how my partner and me got together thanks to The New Mutants #18 and he signed for us... I'm not into Facebook nor Twitter, I don't want to, but I wonder if I send him a message through his web, may he answer me? It's been so long that I feel embarrased!

Quote Originally Posted by pixie_solanas View Post
    Greatest comic writer of all time.
    Greatest superheroes comic writer, for sure. There were a few very good after CC, but they learned from him.

Quote Originally Posted by broski View Post
    They should just put him back on Uncanny X-Men for the 75th anniversary.
    It would be an act of justice.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Claremont is all. I can pick up any issue of either of his runs and become pulled in by the characterization and pacing. I most recently re-read the Magik mini where we see how she grew up in limbo and realized how decompressed the stories have become.

Also, I freaked out more loudly for his Days of Future Past cameo than I did for the end scene when Logan wakes up and walks through the school, so what does that tell you? (Aside from the fact that comic fans really are a small part of the audience, as I was the only one making noise in the theater for his cameo)

Quote Originally Posted by JackalsIII View Post
    New / Exiles wasn't that bad. First few issues of New Excalibur was good too. I liked most of X-Men Forever, maybe not so much 2 but it had some gems. Then Nightcrawler is classic Claremont.
    New Excalibur was fun until the final arc with all that Diana Fox nonsense. That's the first time I truly look at something he wrote, involuntarily raised my eyebrows, and thought WTF????

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald_616 View Post
    Claremont is all. I can pick up any issue of either of his runs and become pulled in by the characterization and pacing. I most recently re-read the Magik mini where we see how she grew up in limbo and realized how decompressed the stories have become.

Also, I freaked out more loudly for his Days of Future Past cameo than I did for the end scene when Logan wakes up and walks through the school, so what does that tell you? (Aside from the fact that comic fans really are a small part of the audience, as I was the only one making noise in the theater for his cameo)

New Excalibur was fun until the final arc with all that Diana Fox nonsense. That's the first time I truly look at something he wrote, involuntarily raised my eyebrows, and thought WTF????
    Was Diana Fox who Sage switched bodies with? That whole Avalon storyline lost me so often!
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

Thanks u cc for introducing such amazing characters and one of my favorite character gambit. Really enjoyed ur run on uncanny x-men as well as xtreme x-men

BANNED

Thank you Mr. Claremont for all your work.

And the foresight of creating the NEO. Knowing Marvel would one day sell all mutants to a movie studio..you created a way out with the Neo..if Only they had the UATU vision that you do.

And using professor X's brain as a plot device is thought of as more clever than your X-men Forever run = Boulderdash! At least MArvel got around to killing Wolverine.

You would think ..Disney would at least let you do more BIG HERO 6.

Anyways.

Cheers.

Thank you for Gambit! He is my favourite character.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I don't even necessarily believe the reason the X-Men have been so successful is because of Chris Claremont the writer, I think it's just the fact ANY writer was allowed to have so much creative control for so long a time period. Any writer who is intelligent and passionate about the subject could have been successful in that sort of a situation. The real travesty with American comics (unlike Japanese/Korean mangas and manhwas) is that the series are not identified with a certain creative team. They are just the "property of a corporation" which is why they contradict themselves, each new creator has to re-learn and re-figure out a bunch of things and so wastes a lot of issues, etc etc. Just a weird situation we have in the USA, sort of un-evolved.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    The real travesty with American comics (unlike Japanese/Korean mangas and manhwas) is that the series are not identified with a certain creative team. They are just the "property of a corporation" which is why they contradict themselves, each new creator has to re-learn and re-figure out a bunch of things and so wastes a lot of issues, etc etc. Just a weird situation we have in the USA, sort of un-evolved.
    "Japanese/Korean mangas and manhwas" and European comics. Pretty much agree: it's a peculiar situation, that of comic-books.