Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default IDW's Disney Comics!

http://www.idwpublishing.com/idw-ann...collaboration/

Artists editions of Don Rosa and Carl Barks, classic newspaper strip reprints, and the return of monthly Disney comics!

... I want a monthly Uncle Scrooge book so much. I was getting into duck comics just as BOOM's line was ending.

Cool! I love Disney comics! So much fun!

Will definitely check these out ... Donald Duck rocks!

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

if they put them on the same paper they use for Haunted Horror, Popeye Classics, that would be cool. Would give them that old school feel.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    http://www.idwpublishing.com/idw-ann...collaboration/

Artists editions of Don Rosa and Carl Barks, classic newspaper strip reprints, and the return of monthly Disney comics!

... I want a monthly Uncle Scrooge book so much. I was getting into duck comics just as BOOM's line was ending.
    Then what was the Marvel Buy out for anyway ? I mean I always assumed that Marvel would have room to make some Disney themed comics ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Then what was the Marvel Buy out for anyway ? I mean I always assumed that Marvel would have room to make some Disney themed comics ?!?
    Disney bought Marvel because they wanted the Marvel characters to make movies and cartoons and merchandise, but Marvel Comics the publishers have shown no interest in bringing back the classic Disney line of comics.

I was hoping that Marvel would pick up from Boom Studios, but I'm glad that IDW's picking up the slack.

I guess the Disney Kingdoms imprint didn't turn out well for Marvel?

Well, it's been about a month since IDW dropped the news that Uncle Scrooge #1 arrives in April, with the three other "Core Four" titles joining one each month after that until the classic lineup is filled.

They even posted a handy schedule, complete with page numbers and Disney amusement park ride-themed variant covers:

April 2015 – Adventureland
    Uncle Scrooge #1 (48pg)

May 2015 – Tomorrowland
    Uncle Scrooge #2 (40pg)
    Donald Duck #1 (48pg)

June 2015 – So special we cannot tell you yet!
    Uncle Scrooge #3 (40pg)
    Donald Duck #2 (40pg)
    Mickey Mouse #1 (48pg)

July 2015 – Fantasyland
    Uncle Scrooge #4 (40pg)
    Donald Duck #3 (40pg)
    Mickey Mouse #2 (40pg)
    Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories #721 (48pg)

August 2015 – EPCOT Center
    Uncle Scrooge #5 (40pg)
    Donald Duck #4 (40pg)
    Mickey Mouse #3 (40pg)
    Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories #722 (40pg)
    Uncle Scrooge TPB, Vol. 1

September 2015 – Frontierland
    Uncle Scrooge #6 (40pg)
    Donald Duck #5 (40pg)
    Mickey Mouse #4 (40pg)
    Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories #723 (40pg)
    Mickey Mouse TPB, Vol. 1

October 2015 – Haunted Mansion
    Uncle Scrooge #7 (40pg)
    Donald Duck #6 (40pg)
    Mickey Mouse #5 (40pg)
    Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories #724 (40pg)
    Donald Duck TPB, Vol. 1

November 2015 – Toontown
    Uncle Scrooge #8 (40pg)
    Donald Duck #7 (40pg)
    Mickey Mouse #6 (40pg)
    Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories #725 (40pg)
    Uncle Scrooge TPB, Vol. 2
    Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories TPB, Vol. 1

December 2015 – Top Secret!
    Uncle Scrooge #9 (40pg)
    Donald Duck #8 (40pg)
    Mickey Mouse #7 (40pg)
    Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories #726 (40pg)
    Mickey Mouse TPB Vol 2

I'm really quite excited about all this. With Barks, Rosa, and Gottfredson getting the complete series treatment I'm interested in seeing more of the international side of things. I've been reading up on the different publications worldwide and there's some stuff I'd really like translated - the adaptations of Moby Dick and Dracula (done with the Disney characters "playing" most of the parts) look incredible. Am I right in my belief that the Italian comics magazine Topolino (apparently Mickey's Italian name) is over a hundred pages of new material published every week?!

May solicitations show Donald #1 (and a really cool Scrooge cover):

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/...ticleID=160154

I must say I enjoyed Uncle Scrooge #2 more than the first. Bolder adventures, funnier jokes, Gravity Falls reference...

...And next month's Mickey Mouse #1 is a story by Casty!

The revived Walt Disney Comics and Stories will devote it's first 12 issues, a whole year, to "The Search For the Zodiac Stones," a mega crossover that involves all the Duck and Mouse characters!

I'm awful excited about all this.

A few months in, and I'm very happy with IDW Disney line. I think their approach is spot on with how to package this foreign content for the U.S.: concentrating on splashy adventure stories (the more gag oriented or domestic comedy stories can serve as back-ups), aggressively introducing characters and elements of Disney comics common to foreign stories but unfamiliar to the U.S. (that way they'll be free to publish whatever they want instead of the limitations of hemming close to the canon of Barks, Rosa, and Gottfredson), sharp translations and exciting cover art!

I thought I had a handle on how the Disney comic licenses split up: Fantagraphics has the rights to publish a series of artist-centric volumes, Joe Books has the rights to (relatively) modern Disney TV shows (their Darkling Duck omnibus and upcoming DuckTales cinestory) and Disney movies, and IDW has the rights to publish the classic comics series that have typically comprised the 'Core Four' Disney comics titles (Scrooge, Donald, Mickey, and Comics & Stories)... but now, where does Papercutz fit it? They're doing a 'Disney Graphic Novel' line that, like IDW, seems to be comprised of new translations of foreign material. Here's volume two, which casts Mickey as some sort of Victorian paranormal investigator:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/162...s=books&sr=1-1

I don't know what's going on.

I do know that, while I'm loving IDW line, it'd be so great to see domestic artists take a crack at these classic characters in the interior pages and not just the plethora of variant covers. I think that BOOM almost did some new Donald material with Evan Dorkin, but it didn't come to pass.

I asked IDW EIC Chris Ryall on twitter if there were any plans to reprint Wizards of Mickey....he said not yet. I hope they do

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    I'm really quite excited about all this. With Barks, Rosa, and Gottfredson getting the complete series treatment I'm interested in seeing more of the international side of things. I've been reading up on the different publications worldwide and there's some stuff I'd really like translated - the adaptations of Moby Dick and Dracula (done with the Disney characters "playing" most of the parts) look incredible. Am I right in my belief that the Italian comics magazine Topolino (apparently Mickey's Italian name) is over a hundred pages of new material published every week?!
    I confirm. I went into detail here (in three separate posts):
    http://community.comicbookresources....utside-the-U-S

^Thanks for the info!

I've let the last couple of months of Disney books pile up, and am now working through them. I enjoyed the special Christmas annual, but man: the Italian artists for those first two stories must've been in a crazy hurry to turn out their stories! In the first story the first page with the Beagle Boys has them drawn in rotund, Fred Flinstone kinda style. When we see the Beagles later they're the skinny Beagles typical of Italian comics, and by the end of the story they're drawn as more traditional Barksian Beagles! In the second story there's tons of callbacks to Barks' Christmas stories (Shacktown, Bear Mountain, and Santa from 'Letters to Santa'), including Scrooge changing into that black coat that Barks often had him wear before he settled on his trademark design. Well, near the end of the story Scrooge's costume changes into his typical red coat after a page turn with no explanation at all. In fact, it's mid-scene!

Drawing the pages out of order? Multiple artists working to bang out the stories on time?

I've never been super into mickey mouse, but I tried Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck on a lark and I was surprised by how much I liked them. They really are a lot of fun, there's a sense of history to them as well. I hope IDW publishes these books for a long time.