Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Really enjoying how IDW is handling expanding their Disney line: putting Duck Avenger in bimonthly rotation with Walt Disney's Comics & Stories, classic newspaper reprints and the upcoming French graphic novels (well, 'albums' should be the correct term for that format - Tintin and Asterix style), as well as the Disneyland anniversary issues and seasonal specials. Lots of cool stuff.

Not caring for the screenshot adaptations of the modern Mickey TV shorts, though - but hey: nobody's perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Really enjoying how IDW is handling expanding their Disney line: putting Duck Avenger in bimonthly rotation with Walt Disney's Comics & Stories, classic newspaper reprints and the upcoming French graphic novels (well, 'albums' should be the correct term for that format - Tintin and Asterix style), as well as the Disneyland anniversary issues and seasonal specials. Lots of cool stuff.

Not caring for the screenshot adaptations of the modern Mickey TV shorts, though - but hey: nobody's perfect!
    What titles are they releasing in the album format?

^The first album is called Mickey's Craziest Adventures, written by Lewis Trondheim. It's the first volume in a series that lets major European comics talent go nuts with the Disney characters.

Duck Avenger

That's right. And our second one is called "Mysterious Melody," by Bernard Cosey—telling the tale of Mickey's (alleged) life in the 1920s before getting into comics and films. While Trondheim's story is heavily parodic, Cosey delivered an affectionate Floyd Gottfredson pastiche, and I worked directly with him in preparing the IDW version, making sure the English dialogue had that Gottfredson flavor.

BTW—Angilasman, thanks for pointing out that the value manifests in our page count. Our reprinted European stories often require a translator, letterer and a new color job from scratch; even if we can order the raw materials cheaply or freely, we've gotta do a lot after that to present them in the quality that we feel they deserve.

^You guys are doing a great job!

Enjoyed the first Duck Avenger (issue #0). A bit like Darkwing Duck put played a bit more straight. Am I to understand that as it goes on it sheds even more of it's traditional funny animal-ness and becomes even more of a straightforward sci-fi/superhero book?

Spectacular Member

I picked up the new WDCS today. First time I have gotten the title since I was ....maybe 12? Over thirty years ago haven't read it yet but looking thru it LOOKS old school and cool. I will read it after dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmountainslim View Post
    I picked up the new WDCS today. First time I have gotten the title since I was ....maybe 12? Over thirty years ago haven't read it yet but looking thru it LOOKS old school and cool. I will read it after dinner.
    I've read 12 issues of it. They seem to have a good mix of new and old stories.

Apparently, there's a bit of a curtailing of the classic Disney line: starting in June Uncle Scrooge will still be monthly, but it seems according to the new solicitations that WDCS, Mickey, and Donald will become quarterlies - all alternating with each other and with a bumped up page count, so each month will have Uncle Scrooge and a jumbo-sized issue of one of the other three 'Core Four' titles. Editor David Gerstein said on another board that rising paper costs are the culprit of the change, and he refrained from saying much else until plans are finalized other than that the new Ducktales and Tangled books at IDW had nothing to do with the decision and that Duck Avenger, sadly, is ending with #5.

While it's nice to have all three still running, part of me thinks why not just put Donald and Mickey on hiatus and have WDCS monthly? I mean, you can run all the Donald and Mickey stories in that book! I suppose it's for nostalgia's sake.

I don't mind. I mainly a Scrooge fan, so having Uncle Scrooge and DuckTales going is pretty rockin'.