Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

It was fun not what i expected from Rick

Spectacular Member

This was a strange issue. To me, it almost felt like he was making fun of the people that would enjoy it.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    This was a strange issue. To me, it almost felt like he was making fun of the people that would enjoy it.
    I'd say it was affectionately poking fun at it. It was all done with a wink.

This annual was basically the complete opposite of a Rick Remender story. And it's the first time I've truly enjoyed Remender since UXF #18. I wish he put more fun into his comics in general.

After reading this issue idk how much longer RR will be at marvel. It was awesome, he spoke for all the people who can't stand how writers like bendis/Aaron do things.
    It was a direct parody of AVX even down to the art the final confrontation with the spirit of vengeance, Wanda distract him while hope I mean rogue gives him the iron fist and take the sov/ phoenix force from him.
    I really don't know how he got away with this but this was his big FU to all the people who talk **** about his long format stories and the writers who phone it in.
    Whether you like him or not he's going to put in the effort to not have a rehashed story or something so decompressed you can't tell why things are happening.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kj7 View Post
    After reading this issue idk how much longer RR will be at marvel. It was awesome, he spoke for all the people who can't stand how writers like bendis/Aaron do things.
    It was a direct parody of AVX even down to the art the final confrontation with the spirit of vengeance, Wanda distract him while hope I mean rogue gives him the iron fist and take the sov/ phoenix force from him.
    I really don't know how he got away with this but this was his big FU to all the people who talk **** about his long format stories and the writers who phone it in.
    Whether you like him or not he's going to put in the effort to not have a rehashed story or something so decompressed you can't tell why things are happening.
    I'll guess you've never read stories like "Marvel NOW What?" and "Who Won't Wield the Shield?"

I think you're reading too much into it. This was clearly all done with a wink. It was Remender having fun. If he was bashing Bendis, Aaron or any other writer, it was done as a joke, because I'm pretty sure he's actually friends with those guys. And it's not like Marvel doesn't have a history of poking fun at themselves, anyway.

I also really don't see this as being a parody of AvX. It was certainly laughing at some of the typical superhero tropes, even as it gleefully used those tropes, and played them completely straight.

And if it was making fun of any writer, it was Hickman. Jason Aaron normally does tight character arcs. Bendis, outside the Avengers, also does a lot of structured character arcs, and almost always has "something to say" - Bendis is really big on exploring interesting themes. Neither of those writers really do much in the way of "spinning an endless web of strange mysteries that keep . . . feeble-minded [readers] lost and guessing." That's Hickman's bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    I think you're reading too much into it. This was clearly all done with a wink. It was Remender having fun. If he was bashing Bendis, Aaron or any other writer, it was done as a joke, because I'm pretty sure he's actually friends with those guys. And it's not like Marvel doesn't have a history of poking fun at themselves, anyway.

I also really don't see this as being a parody of AvX. It was certainly laughing at some of the typical superhero tropes, even as it gleefully used those tropes, and played them completely straight.

And if it was making fun of any writer, it was Hickman. Jason Aaron normally does tight character arcs. Bendis, outside the Avengers, also does a lot of structured character arcs, and almost always has "something to say" - Bendis is really big on exploring interesting themes. Neither of those writers really do much in the way of "spinning an endless web of strange mysteries that keep . . . feeble-minded [readers] lost and guessing." That's Hickman's bag.
    Yea I went a little overboard on the zealous of my comment. I'm sure it was a friendly poke. At the same time it's nice that he would call out his peers even in jest like he did, someone has too.
    Never really thought Hickman was guilty of bad writing mainly because of how infinity and bota went head to head as the main events on my pull list being a rabid xfan bota had the last slot until I realized how superior infinity was.
    As far as the AVX parody, maybe rr didn't mean for it to be as much as the artist did. One of the last images of ghost rider looked a lot like cyclops standing over the dead Xavier and going dark phoenix. Then how ghost rider had partial control over sov until he was pushed to far and let sov take him over and planning on burning down the world, it was all to familiar to me cuz I've reread AVX about 5 times.
    I know for someone that usually doesn't like bendis I loved AVX but more the X part especially the uxm stuff that gillen did with sinister London

Spectacular Member

At first, I thought he was taking shots at Morrison, but as the issue went on, it felt very clear that this wasn't directed at his fellow writers. It's more of a shot at editorial interference because that wasn't the story Mojo wanted to tell. It was the story that he was forced to tell because of the interference of his bosses. And while they had less than pleasant things to say, they were still confident that the fans would eat it up which is why I felt he was also mocking anyone that liked the story.

In AvX, Wanda helped Hope release and destroy the PF. Here, Rogue didn't throw or land any glowing punch, but absorbed the SoV to re-connect it with a human host than begged and pleaded with Blaze to take it back because she couldn't handle it.
    Hank Pym: You're taking over? Come on, give me one good reason why—
    Iron Man: Three words. You're. Hank. Pym.

Mighty Member

i think he was joking about HE does things. he's had one arc that's gone on for two years and he's talked about how the only way to make people care is to have something matter.

BANNED

The Indie Jock Thor stuff killed me.
    Fantastic Annual all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Right? Wasn't that a clear shot at all the other Avengers titles?

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    i think he was joking about HE does things. he's had one arc that's gone on for two years and he's talked about how the only way to make people care is to have something matter.
    Then he writes long arc that in even in the middle run will cease to matter when it is over? I think he just wrote a fun book to show that he could

I really liked this issue and it reminded me a lot of Marvel Now What.

I interpreted the end as a rebuttal of sorts of the critique RR is getting for the story in UA; when he raises the question if every story must have lasting consequences and meaning or if we just couldn't enjoy the ride.

But as he states; 'maybe we shouldn't look too closely' .

I liked it! I think I laughed through most of the issue. It was definitely a lot of fun. And I'll admit, it was nice to see the team get along, for the most part. :-)