Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default What is the dumbest fad that you participated in?

A "fad" is defined as "any form of collective behavior that develops within a culture, generation, or social group in which a group of people enthusiastically follow an impulse for a short lived period".
    Whether it be a fashion, phrase, collectible, mindset, etc, we all got wrapped up in SOMETHING that we look back and laugh at the absurdity. So I must ask the lot of you (even if it dates us) What was the dumbest fad that you got caught up in?

Myself, I wore something called "Tall Tees" back when they were a thing (mid 2000's?)...to this day I question HOW I managed to get cajoled into that foolishness. Funny enough those same shirts fit pretty will now that I've grown (both horizontally and vertically).

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I bought a pet rock. Not one of my brighter moments.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

I believed "vote blue no matter who" was actually viable
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Incredible Member

I listened to Eminem.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I believed "vote blue no matter who" was actually viable
    It still is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I had a giga pet...and I actually contemplated buying a new one recently as I saw one at a book store I frequent. Nostalgia is a strong emotion.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It still is.
    Don't worry, it's just a fad
    They/Them

Don't worry, it's just a fad
    One can hope, life would be much easier if one party wasn't set on denying basic human rights to large swaths of the population.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    One can hope, life would be much easier if one party wasn't set on denying basic human rights to large swaths of the population.
    I agree, I just see it as both parties
    They/Them

I agree, I just see it as both parties
    Demonstrably untrue.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Demonstrably untrue.
    Life is not comfortable for everyone, and that's because we have the ultra wealthy and a ruling class, we continue to fund foreign wars and genocides as every major city faces a homelessness crisis, a migrant crisis due to our oppressive sanctions and interventionism in Latin America, police brutality, crippling debt, medical debt, people can't even afford to get sick, crippling rent increases, it is the result of our one party, the corporations and the ultra wealthy. But we all have our bubbles. Sometimes people don't want to accept that life is not as serene for others as it is for them, and that the people they vote for share responsibility with those they voted against in many aspects, and some people are hardened by the years and have a hard time accepting the way circumstances can change over the years for many people in good and bad ways. A way to alleviate that struggle is to reach across the aisle and understand the experiences of the less fortunate. Talking to young people, working people, homeless people, former convicts, the people our society so frequently neglects but need their voice now more than ever. In a country that has more black people in prison than women in prison in the entire world, a country without healthcare for everyone, a country with the most immense and destructive military power on earth...we could do with some self awareness. In my case, I found that the strength and the will for positive change lies solely in the people united, workers united, uniting beyond class lines, the only meaningful change we have ever seen in America has come from organized citizens working toward a brighter goal, not electoral politics. I cannot vote for anyone that would support war and continue to vote for funding wars when the country is facing profound struggle. A wise man once said "the language of collapse is always opposite of the reality." I.e, "everything is so good" "the economy has never been better" ...meanwhile people can barely afford to feed themselves and pay their rent.

I've derailed this topic too much to talk about my personal dumbest fad and you most likely don't even care. But let me ask you, have you ever heard this song, Raging Lung by the Knife?

I can't speak to the lyrics' meaning. I'm sure there are many interpretations. However, there is such an inspiring quality to them that just lights a fire within me.
    They/Them

::edit for sake of not derailing thread further::

Slap bracelets are another fad I'll admit to
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 03-01-2024 at 04:24 PM.

Mighty Member

I think I fell for the "Livestrong" (adjacent) wristbands at one point...funny thing is I think they are coming back as I've seen my 12 year old nephew wearing some of the rubber wristbands.

The MCU Iron Fist should be Asian debate. I supported it but it feels like a foolish approach for East Asian representation.

Looking back, I wished they skipped him and focus more on building out Asian heroes but the pickings are pretty slim.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-01-2024 at 04:43 PM.

I did the Master Cleanse liquid diet that was trendy a while back. Lost weight on it but blacked out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    I listened to Eminem.
    I don't know you, but I respect the hell outta you for this.