Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What's the point of the Disney and Marvel deal, if Marvel can't make Disney themed comics ?

Looks like DC comics isn't the only one with co-company problems with IDW Publishing as it looks like it's affecting the new Marvel/Disney relationship too...

http://www.idwpublishing.com/idw-ann...collaboration/

So what was the original point of the deal again ?

I ask this because while I'm all for IDW publishing making reprints of old comics, I would have thought Marvel would handle the new comics in their system. I mean that's partly one of the reasons for the deal, right ?

Fantastic Member

No, the Deal was Disney wanted access to the MArvel IP's so they threw money at them. Marvel didn't get anything but money in the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    So what was the original point of the deal again?
    Movies, merchandise, and access to a young male demographic that Disney had been having trouble targeting.

If non-Marvel publishing was a consideration at all, it was way, way, way, way down the list.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by captain Qball View Post
    No, the Deal was Disney wanted access to the MArvel IP's so they threw money at them. Marvel didn't get anything but money in the deal.
    Then would Marvel be okay if they HAD NOT taken the deal, especially given their movies success at the time ?

Extraordinary Member

IDW specializes in this kind of stuff. Even Marvel has had them do reprints of super-hero stuff. Marvel has published new comics based on Disney IPs.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    IDW specializes in this kind of stuff. Even Marvel has had them do reprints of super-hero stuff. Marvel has published new comics based on Disney IPs.
    True and that's why I'm for IDW and somewhat Dark Horse republishing old stuff like this, especially given how much Marvel does it. So everyone wins.

Only a few and some of them centered on the live action and Marvel animation shows, but I never seen Marvel publish a story that features Mickey Mouse and his friends on the cover.

BANNED

When Disney started buying franchises, the people should have to imagine that such things would happen if sinking Star Wars, Indiana Jones Marvel or will at some point, can make sure that everyone goes to good refrigerator decades, comic by comic as we grew up reading, died from the moment that the heirs of Mr. Walt-want-dominate-the-world Disney bought Marvel.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Comics are relatively worth nothing. Multi-Billion Dollar making characters with a high brand profile and stable of high grossing movies are worth money. Lots and lots of money.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Looks like DC comics isn't the only one with co-company problems with IDW Publishing as it looks like it's affecting the new Marvel/Disney relationship too...

http://www.idwpublishing.com/idw-ann...collaboration/

I ask this because while I'm all for IDW publishing making reprints of old comics, I would have thought Marvel would handle the new comics in their system. I mean that's partly one of the reasons for the deal, right ?
    The point of the deal was for Disney to acquire the IP of Marvel

If Disney doesn't think that Marvel is the right folks to handle thier comics it might just be becasue Marvel is not the right people to handle those comics. Why think that Marvel would do better than IDW?

There is nothing in that article that says how it is affecting the Marvel disney relationship, and that relationship is clear Disney owns marvel and if somebody at Marvel objects to what Disney does strongly they can seek employment elsewhere

Fantastic Member

Breevort answered something related to this the other day....

It's odd to me that Marvel allows IDW to license iconic covers. It's not like you're both in different industries. What's the added value to partnering with another publisher in this context? I understand if this is something you can't answer.
    Anonymous

Those Artists Editions are a product category that we don’t produce. And IDW’s Scott Dunbier is in a unique position to do so. not only did he pioneer the format, but he’s also got the connections within the original art collectors’ world to be able to source the necessary materials. And the amount of money involved as weighed against the amount of effort necessary to undertake such a volume from scratch is prohibitive to us.

So the choices here really boil down to licensing these volumes to IDW, or simply not seeing them done at all. We made teh first choice

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    The point of the deal was for Disney to acquire the IP of Marvel

If Disney doesn't think that Marvel is the right folks to handle thier comics it might just be becasue Marvel is not the right people to handle those comics. Why think that Marvel would do better than IDW?

There is nothing in that article that says how it is affecting the Marvel disney relationship, and that relationship is clear Disney owns marvel and if somebody at Marvel objects to what Disney does strongly they can seek employment elsewhere
    Maybe because of the fact that Marvel got successful movies and characters and a history, while IDW is licensed with Hasbro and Cartoon Network to produce their comics along with their original work.

Between the two of them: Which has the media's attention again ?

Between the two of them: Which has the media's attention again ?
    Neither one as far as comic books are concerned. Marvel's been unable to make any sort of significant sales boost despite the fact that movies based off their characters are regularly top earners at the box office. There's really nothing lucrative about the publishing side of Marvel.

BANNED

Figment says, "What?"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Figment says, "What?"
    I was just about to mention this.

I really wish Marvel would take a second whack at the Crossgen line though.

Then would Marvel be okay if they HAD NOT taken the deal, especially given their movies success at the time ?
    4 billion isn't the sort of thing you say no to.