Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    if marvel cancelled the x-men, they may as well commit publishing suicide. people wouldn't suddenly flock to the mcu properties and they'd get a lot of badmouth via social media.

there's a reason they won't cancel, and it has nothing to do with loving the fact that they are doing free advertising for a competing company.
    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Sure there's a reason they won't cancel... the book sells. Which is the freaking point of publishing a book. Books sell, which in turn generates profit, which in turn keeps the lights on and puts food on the table for the good people at marvel.

To put it simply, MONEY = GOOD. I'm actually surprised this needs to be explained.
    That's why I dont even get why there is a discussion about this.

Publishing X-books: Profit!

Not publishing X-books: No profit!

Hmm what would a company chose to do here?

No wonder people at Marvel seem to be having fun teasing people with such rumors. They probably can't believe either that people seriously believe cancellation rumors
    "This is me being reasonable"

no one's arguing they don't like making money, i don't know where that thunderbolt struck you from.

but that in no way means marvel or disney love the x-men. they hate them. it's obvious to anyone.
    The arguement that I am disputing is your statement: "but they'll do everything in their power to make sure no one wants to buy x-men."

People buying X-Men comics = MONEY. Money in marvels pocket.

Amazing Member

but they'll do everything in their power to make sure no one wants to buy x-men. you think marvel LIKES that x-men is such a popular brand and not their darling avengers? LOL

it must burn ike up knowing x-men is the constant thorn in the disney side.
    Yes, because Disney haaaaates making money. They're just going to sabotage the property for the sake of spiting Fox. That's why they put their most financially successful writer on two of the flagship X titles and run like a dozen X-Books.

God, did this place get hit with some kind of debilitating brain virus that targets common sense while I've been away?

but that's exactly what they are doing.

killing off marquee characters, making tiresome plots and stories that go nowhere. making them villains in big crossovers. marvel's strategy is obviously to suffocate the x-men brand so that no one WANTS to buy the comics anymore.

it's a better strategy than cancelling them outright, because then marvel could play the good guy in the history books and there is still the hope that the x-men fans of the past would stay loyal to the house brand.

open your eyes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoDaCosta View Post
    I don't think they can reveal that Mutants are a branch of Inhumans or viceversa...
    just because that would mess their films properties.
    It would mean that potentially, Fox could use Inhumans characters as they own Marvel's mutants.
    Maybe if Marvel plans to use it as an excuse to use the X-Men for their MCU.
    But I am pretty sure that a legal dispute would come before that...
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Yost lay the groundwork for mutants to not be merely a genetic anomaly but the result of experimentation years ago with this Evolutionaries arc in Astonishing X-Men?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    All mutants who lost their powers during M-day that regained their powers through other means (i.e. Polaris, Quicksilver, Marrow) technically aren't mutants anymore, because they no longer have an X-gene.
    Polaris is confirmed to have an X-gene based on Uncanny X-men after the shiiar/Vulcan thing. I don't recall the exact moment but someone had it in a thread on the X-boards.

killing off marquee characters, making tiresome plots and stories that go nowhere. making them villains in big crossovers. marvel's strategy is obviously to suffocate the x-men brand so that no one WANTS to buy the comics anymore.

it's a better strategy than cancelling them outright, because then marvel could play the good guy in the history books and there is still the hope that the x-men fans of the past would stay loyal to the house brand.

open your eyes.
    Sure. That's why they put Bendis (arguably the most commercially sucessful writer at marvel in the past decade) onto the X-books. Because they don't want them to sell.

That's probably why they killed Thor and Captain America and put Bendis on the franchise during and after Disassembled. Marvel clearly hated the Avengers and wanted to kill them off too.

Seriously... do you NOT see the massive flaw in your arguement here?

Amazing Member

I think this all hype. Marvel knows we are all chumps. They learned along time ago that the more we complain the higher their sales. Since they see so many people complaining about the FF and the X-Men ending, they make posters that seem to confirm the complaints. This drives everyone's curiosity, ensuring high sales. Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by boscoe View Post
    I think this all hype. Marvel knows we are all chumps. They learned along time ago that the more we complain the higher their sales. Since they see so many people complaining about the FF and the X-Men ending, they make posters that seem to confirm the complaints. This drives everyone's curiosity, ensuring high sales. Plain and simple.
    Well there is no such thing as bad publicity. That is true.
    Even if people talk bad about something they are still talking about it and showing interest in it.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Sure. That's why they put Bendis (arguably the most commercially sucessful writer at marvel in the past decade) onto the X-books. Because they don't want them to sell.
    bendis doesn't even have power at marvel anymore, not like he used to. when AXIS was first announced, he promised fans that his stories were not going to be affected in any way. then last week in the x-position, he retracted that statement and said that yes his books would be affected.

bendis is not the power player he used to be. seems more like a retirement project than anything.

BANNED

disney could shut down marvel whole hog tomorrow if they wanted and it wouldn't make a drop of difference to their bottom line. we are really arrogant as readers to think our hobby means anything more to the house of mouse than ip fodder.
    You have to pick one. Does Marvel not matter at all to Disney? Or does it matter so much that they form ridiculously convoluted plans to control what Marvel does? Younseem to be espousing both.

BANNED

open your eyes.
    Uh...all these things are just what happens when Bendis writes a comic.

Extraordinary Member

The arguement that I am disputing is your statement: "but they'll do everything in their power to make sure no one wants to buy x-men."

People buying X-Men comics = MONEY. Money in marvels pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    That's why I dont even get why there is a discussion about this.

Publishing X-books: Profit!

Not publishing X-books: No profit!
    Quote Originally Posted by 0bsessions View Post
    Yes, because Disney haaaaates making money. They're just going to sabotage the property for the sake of spiting Fox. That's why they put their most financially successful writer on two of the flagship X titles and run like a dozen X-Books.
    Marvel can only publish so many books so it is a matter of which books they publish. No one is saying they could just drop the X-Men today and replace those books and retain their readers. What should be 'common sense' is that they are actively downplaying the X-Men while trying to prop up other franchises to replace them. We are seeing a phasing out of X-Men and a phasing in of whatever has better synergy with Disney marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    You have to pick one. Does Marvel not matter at all to Disney? Or does it matter so much that they form ridiculously convoluted plans to control what Marvel does? Younseem to be espousing both.
    marvel doesn't matter at all. and they are being held hostage by the x-men. they still see the mcu properties as a success, but to pump them they need to continue x-men (much to their chagrin).

bendis doesn't even have power at marvel anymore, not like he used to. when AXIS was first announced, he promised fans that his stories were not going to be affected in any way. then last week in the x-position, he retracted that statement and said that yes his books would be affected.

bendis is not the power player he used to be. seems more like a retirement project than anything.
    Regardless of power the man is commercially sucessful. They don't put high profile creative teams on books they hope won't sell. Again it's just common sense.