Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    My impression from his post was that he simply plans to redeem the adult Brotherhood Molly Hayes in some way.
    Look again, because to me at least it's more like that he was asked a question about Molly Hayes specifically and he answered to it by saying that he has had a lot of questions asked regarding the Brotherhood and that they will all be answered once the arc is over and he has done whatever it is he wanted to do in BotA but couldn't. So whatever he wanted to do might not be related to Molly Hayes. Or it could, based on his wording it could be either way really but I got the impression that he was talking about the Brotherhood in general in that last part and not just Molly.
    Last edited by Tomppa; 05-12-2014 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
    Look again, because to me at least it's more like that he was asked a question about Molly Hayes specifically and he answered to it by saying that he has had a lot of questions asked regarding the Brotherhood and that they will all be answered once the arc is over and he has done whatever it is he wanted to do in BotA but couldn't. So whatever he wanted to do might not be related to Molly Hayes. Or it could, based on his wording it could be either way really but I got the impression that he was talking about the Brotherhood in general in that last part and not just Molly.
    Sure, but does anyone really care about the rest of them?

Making Molly a villain OTOH is something that probably ticked off quite a few people. Bendis included I'd guess.

So whatever changes Bendis make, if they are not related to her no one will probably even notice.

Quote Originally Posted by cwatz View Post
    So true. However writers can always try to be sneaky and slip the majority of the audience. This sort of thing happens allllll the time.

A recent example of a character being sacrificed was in the Trial of Jean Grey. The arc was great.... if you can get beyond the fact that it was entirely build on Gladiator on the sacrificial altar to make it work. If someone was familiar with the character, they would know immediately it was bad writing, or Bendis pulling some BS. If someone wasn't familiar though, they wouldn't give it a second thought and just enjoy the material as it was.

Then there is the third option which I (to my own shame) fall into. Truth is, while it does bother me a bit, and it does hurt the arc, I like Jean a hell of a lot more than Gladiator. Thus I dont really give a damn if hes written poorly in promoting ones I prefer. Writers do this sort of thing all the time. Make someone less popular look crappy to boost up a fan favorite. Pretty hypocritical considering id be armed with torch and pitchfork when one of my favorites were to get sacrificed to the benefit of someone else.
    I get your point. It just that I wonder if the writers realize let alone care that by sacrifiing one character to make another look better. Or to push another character in a story that it can ruin one or both characters. How does Mystique sleeping with Prof X. In the shape of a woman she murdered. Getting pregnant and giving up the child help the character development. It just comes across as a cheap ploy to milk the upcoming x-men movie. All because of a hint that their might be something between Prof X and Mystique in the movie. I'm all for adding in new elemnts to a characters background. Not when it ruins the character imo. As soon as I saw Gladiator thrown under the bus to make Jean look better in the Trail of Jean Gray story. I refused to read it. Nothing aginast Jean as a character I hate characters being written a certain way to push another.

No the brotherhood probably wasn't, but this stuff has probably been planned out for a while. I think they are trying to build them into significant villains. If my theory about the preview on #28 is correct, then we might be seeing them for quite a while. As for the O5 they sell copies, and again there is probably a "grand plan" for them.
    How many version of the Brotherhood will Marvel come up with before the end of the year lol. I thought Mystique and her Brotherhood were supposed to be significant villains. I guess all we can do is wait and see. Even though it's not going to happen I would love to see a fight between the past and future Brotherhood. To see which is the true Brotherhood left standing. I don't mind the 05 so much as the writers portraying characters from the present as not being worried about the effects of the timeline. From what I'm noticing unless a character(s) are truly unpopular every group of characters seems to have some sort of "grand plan" imo.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    I get your point. It just that I wonder if the writers realize let alone care that by sacrifiing one character to make another look better. Or to push another character in a story that it can ruin one or both characters. How does Mystique sleeping with Prof X. In the shape of a woman she murdered. Getting pregnant and giving up the child help the character development. It just comes across as a cheap ploy to milk the upcoming x-men movie. All because of a hint that their might be something between Prof X and Mystique in the movie. I'm all for adding in new elemnts to a characters background. Not when it ruins the character imo. As soon as I saw Gladiator thrown under the bus to make Jean look better in the Trail of Jean Gray story. I refused to read it. Nothing aginast Jean as a character I hate characters being written a certain way to push another.
    They don't care most likely. There is a foodchain in the comic world. If a character is on a lower rung, they are prey for the dinosaurs. Its a tricky issue, and one that almost every reader is hypocritical about, self included.
    Most people will talk about how deplorable the practice is, or will lose their damn minds if it happens to someone they like. I rant about Planet-X daily. It was a giant pile of ****, but the part that really irritates me, more than the awful story, is that they threw Jean on the sacrificial altar of Scott and to a lesser extent Emma (and I like both of them btw). Push a new relationship, push Scott in a new direction. Give them tons of new material to work with, while Jean rots for a decade+.

However when other characters are damaged for your own favorites, fans will either a) deny that was the case, or b) not care, because the happiness from their character looking good, outweighs the annoyance or indifference of another character getting dragged through the mud. Like I said before, the Trial didn't bother me that much because Jean is a greater priority than Gladiator, despite the fact I bitch about Planet-x more than anything in comics. Not to be confrontational, purely for discussion, but I would bet your favorite characters have had things like this happen all the time, but you didn't boycott the comics in the process. Its natural, everyone does it.

Writers recognize this, and thus continue the practice. Keep fans happy, keep sales up.

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    That just looks like the preview. Am I missing something?

They don't care most likely. There is a foodchain in the comic world. If a character is on a lower rung, they are prey for the dinosaurs. Its a tricky issue, and one that almost every reader is hypocritical about, self included.
    Most people will talk about how deplorable the practice is, or will lose their damn minds if it happens to someone they like. I rant about Planet-X daily. It was a giant pile of ****, but the part that really irritates me, more than the awful story, is that they threw Jean on the sacrificial altar of Scott and to a lesser extent Emma (and I like both of them btw). Push a new relationship, push Scott in a new direction. Give them tons of new material to work with, while Jean rots for a decade+.

However when other characters are damaged for your own favorites, fans will either a) deny that was the case, or b) not care, because the happiness from their character looking good, outweighs the annoyance or indifference of another character getting dragged through the mud. Like I said before, the Trial didn't bother me that much because Jean is a greater priority than Gladiator, despite the fact I bitch about Planet-x more than anything in comics. Not to be confrontational, purely for discussion, but I would bet your favorite characters have had things like this happen all the time, but you didn't boycott the comics in the process. Its natural, everyone does it.

Writers recognize this, and thus continue the practice. Keep fans happy, keep sales up.
    So true! There're rarely stories that feature and treat every character equally. Most of the 'favourite' storylines just happen to make most of the POPULAR characters shine hence not mush whinging from more vocal fans of these characters. DC have been treating Batman like God while throwing the other superheroes under the bus left right and centre but you won't hear much complain from the readers because they happen to enjoy that injustice.

Too bad throwing characters under the bus to push favored characters by writers seems to be a practice that is becoming more and more common. I just hope Mystique can recover as a character.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.