Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I want the Squirrel Girl and Spider Gwen creative teams to be switched. Please?

I hate Quentin Quire, but if he stands up during Logan's funerals and yells to the teachers "Are you fucking kidding me, half of you died and came back!", I think I'll love him a little bit.
    Last edited by mugiwara; 10-11-2014 at 12:06 PM.

And fans won't want to miss Sunday's Women of Marvel panel either where we'll announce another exciting new series featuring a female hero whose Q-rating is off the stratosphere these days, written by a writer that I'm over the moon to be working with.
    Shame this is about Gamora. Rather it be a Kitty ongoing.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

Fred Nunez is looking at the big picture, asking, "Word of the cancellation of 'X-Factor' has come -- the book seems to have had a big trade paperback following so I ask what role to trade sales hold in the fate of titles like this?"

Alonso: Pretty much everything is a factor when looking at the health of a title and its longevity -- trades sales being one of them. One of the questions that does arise, however, is whether or not a creative team could be deployed on a title or launch that has more of an impact on the line.
    I wonder if this means that David and Di Giandomenico will be put on a higher profile series (or a new series). Either way, I'm still disappointed by both Axel's answer to this question (implying that series that aren't high profile don't deserve good creators) and X-Factor ending.

On another note, I am very curious as to what the new series to be announced this weekend will be. Spider-Gwen and Wolverine legacy series almost for sure.
    XMenGold XMenBlue GenX Cable Iceman AstonishingXMen UncannyAvengers SpectacularSpiderMan SecretWarriors DoctorStrange
    TheFlash Nightwing Supersons TeenTitans Aquaman Deathstroke WildStorm Saga Wicked+Divine Low Descender KillorbeKilled SeventoEternity

I love that artwork of Armor kicking everyon's asses.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    The point is that they shouldn't be the same...

Marvel shouldn't announce them as events because of them not being proper event level stories, that's basically entirely why the event concept is where it's at.

An event level story should be just that, a great event that impacts and effects the entire universe in lasting ways years to come and that's where the development should be... not an expanded ongoing series arc. [imo]
    Most Marvel-Created crossovers start off that way. Someone has a story. People in editorial like it and support it, and then give it a large stage to play on. Civil War was originally going to be a SHIELD VS. Heroes story in New Avengers written by Bendis. Instead it was Heroes Vs. Heroes written by almost everyone at Marvel, with a main narrative mini series written by Millar. House of M: Similar story.
    Secret Invasion, as well. World War Hulk was essentially going to just take place in Incredible Hulk.

If you're under the impression that Rick handed in scripts for Uncanny Avengers, and then they just retitled it "AXIS #1", I think you can rest easy.

The thing that you're saying that you want.... it sounds like you want this thing to be created in a room of editors saying "Hey, lets make an event out of nothing. And something ties these characters all together in story. Let's come up with this from scratch and make everyone write about it." Maybe most marvel heroes wake up and they're all Cat-people on a thursday or something? And have to get to the bottom of it? Cat-People month.
    That scenario is where the story being carried by the gimmick rather than the gimmick growing out of the story, the latter of the two is what they've been doing.

But either of those is way better than having the "event" revolve around a month of holographic covers with a mandatory story conceit shoe horned in to sell the covers. I think we can all agree with that.
    Last edited by Zer0n Huggins; 10-10-2014 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu B View Post
    I wonder if this means that David and Di Giandomenico will be put on a higher profile series (or a new series). Either way, I'm still disappointed by both Axel's answer to this question (implying that series that aren't high profile don't deserve good creators) and X-Factor ending.

On another note, I am very curious as to what the new series to be announced this weekend will be. Spider-Gwen and Wolverine legacy series almost for sure.
    I think the implication is that while they could just keep pushing out X-Factor, they'd rather use David and Di G's talents on something higher profile. Which sucks, because X-Factor is a good series, but I won't say no to these guys working on something bigger, either.

As for the second part of your post, I'm really hoping it's not a Gamora book, but other than Spider-Gwen, I can't think of any other female character that's popular right now that doesn't alreay have their own book. (If it turns out to be a Hellcat book, I will flip out.)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That namor thing does not please me

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    It's the same story whether it's called an event or not. I wonder, If Marvel didn't announce these stories as "events", would readers still hate them so much?
    Except it's not just slapping the "event" title on it. It may be the same story as far as the main mini goes, but event comics pull in other titles as well. And I don't say that in the sense of "I was reading AXIS, now I have to read ____" but in the sense of "I read ____ but now it's progress is put on hold for four months to tie into AXIS."

And it's not like Uncanny Avengers fans get something extra by having it's story resolved in AXIS. Uncanny Avengers isn't coming out during AXIS. You get no extra. AXIS is just a re-named Uncanny Avengers for nine issues.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Spectacular Member CyclopsWasRight's Avatar

People talk a lot about Marvel not wanting to give Fox publicity, but Marvel sure is doing them a lot of favors with the push Mystique is recently getting. It's at the point that most casual people think that overall she is a hero. She's continuously asked for as a playable character in Marvel Heroes, ugh. She's mean, guys!

This new Defenders series is definitely going to be about "Defending the Earth from Incursions". Thanos and co.
    Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-10-2014 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0n Huggins View Post
    Most Marvel-Created crossovers start off that way. Someone has a story. People in editorial like it and support it, and then give it a large stage to play on. Civil War was originally going to be a SHIELD VS. Heroes story in New Avengers written by Bendis. Instead it was Heroes Vs. Heroes written by almost everyone at Marvel, with a main narrative mini series written by Millar. House of M: Similar story.
    Secret Invasion, as well. World War Hulk was essentially going to just take place in Incredible Hulk.

If you're under the impression that Rick handed in scripts for Uncanny Avengers, and then they just retitled it "AXIS #1", I think you can rest easy.

The thing that you're saying that you want.... it sounds like you want this thing to be created in a room of editors saying "Hey, lets make an event out of nothing. And something ties these characters all together in story. Let's come up with this from scratch and make everyone write about it." Maybe most marvel heroes wake up and they're all Cat-people on a thursday or something? And have to get to the bottom of it? Cat-People month.
    That scenario is where the story being carried by the gimmick rather than the gimmick growing out of the story, the latter of the two is what they've been doing.

But either of those is way better than having the "event" revolve around a month of holographic covers with a mandatory story conceit shoe horned in to sell the covers. I think we can all agree with that.
    It wouldn't be "an event out of nothing", the entire concept of an event is based around the entirety of the universe rather than a specific ongoing part of the world... so, it wouldn't be based around Uncanny Avengers for example, it would be something that's been building up to and building to based on a scope reflective of the entire universe and everything that's ongoing as such like the culmination of years of developments and actions all building up to this event or cause/reaction, and developed from that. Such a thing wouldn't happen frequently, it's not something that would expand out of a single book's storyline, etc. Stuff that isn't an event level storyline is labelled as an event currently for hype and to get a boost in sales but in doing so it diminishes and takes away from a real event. It's my guess that would be the reason why so many of these "events" are disappointing.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-10-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackalsIII View Post
    Shame this is about Gamora. Rather it be a Kitty ongoing.
    Yeah, Kitty is kind of languishing these days, considering she had her entire story arc stolen from her by Jackman's Wolverine in the movies, leaving her as little more than a grimacing time travel machine.

All-New Member

It wouldn't be "an event out of nothing", the entire concept of an event is based around the entirety of the universe rather than a specific ongoing part of the world... so, it wouldn't be based around Uncanny Avengers for example, it would be something that's been building up to and building to based on a scope reflective of the entire universe and everything that's ongoing as such like the culmination of years of developments and actions all building up to this event or cause/reaction, and developed from that. Such a thing wouldn't happen frequently, it's not something that would expand out of a single book's storyline, etc. Stuff that isn't an event level storyline is labelled as an event currently for hype and to get a boost in sales but in doing so it diminishes and takes away from a real event. It's my guess that would be the reason why so many of these "events" are disappointing.
    It all depends on what type of story is "event worthy". Your milage may vary on that. I personally spent the past year reading Ragnarok Now and especially Avenge the Earth wondering why there weren't tie-ins or spin-offs and miniseries for the storyline. The entire earth being destroyed and the mutant population being spared and transported to their own planet where Magneto rules is certainly more high-stakes than screwing up the timeline so that Apocalypse rules America, and has as almost as much potential for one-off stories about new status quo's as House of M.

I think we're all unclear on the specifics of AXIS so far, but the idea of Red Skull tilting everyone's personalities certainly brings enough questions to warrant spending some time on the new personalities of Tony Stark, Carnage, Sabertooth, Deadpool and Hobgoblin, none of which are currently characters in the Uncanny Avengers title proper.
    Last edited by Zer0n Huggins; 10-10-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I want the Squirrel Girl and Spider Gwen creative teams to be switched. Please?

About I hate Quentin Quire, but if he stands up during Logan's funerals and yells to the teachers "Are you fucking kidding me, half of you died and came back!", I think I'll love him a little bit.
    He certainly doesn't look happy there. I can't wait to see his reaction.

I had a talk about the 80s and 90s with a guy in a comic book store once. I said how weird and bad the 90s were, and he said, yeah, comics are better now. The art is better, and GASP, the stories actually matter. Even if they aren't perfect, the events of today aren't the mess they used to be. And I'm excited for Axis. It looks like the nice writers and editors really are trying to coordinate a large number of books that would otherwise not be very closely tied together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That namor thing does not please me
    I think Marvel is being honest about Namor. He works better as a supporting character, and the ongoing would probably be cancelled fairly quickly.

So... Axis is basically an arc of Uncanny Avengers..

That's probably not the best way to develop an event level story imo, just saying.
    For Axis it was obvious. They showed Red Onslaught two years ago in Uncanny Avengers.

Infinity, Secret Invasion and Shadowland were the same. Just expanded story arcs.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

It all depends on what type of story is "event worthy". Your milage may vary on that. I personally spent the past year reading Ragnarok Now and especially Avenge the Earth wondering why there weren't tie-ins or spin-offs and miniseries for the storyline. The entire earth being destroyed and the mutant population being spared and transported to their own planet where Magneto rules is certainly more high-stakes than screwing up the timeline so that Apocalypse rules America, and has as almost as much potential for one-off stories about new status quo's as House of M.

I think we're all unclear on the specifics of AXIS so far, but the idea of Red Skull tilting everyone's personalities certainly brings enough questions to warrant spending some time on the new personalities of Tony Stark, Carnage, Sabertooth, Deadpool and Hobgoblin, none of which are currently characters in the Uncanny Avengers title proper.
    The problem isn't the stories themselves, however... the problem is labeling/hyping every big story as a big event. It's not like if they weren't twisted into being "events" that the stories still couldn't be told... they're being manipulated into being what they aren't for a desired result and the true concept of "the event" is the sacrifice to this end.

"The Big Bang", the Dinosaur extinction... these are events. [Crisis on Infinite Earths is an event]

Zorro in an epic story to save a princess from the evil King is not.

That's in my view, of course... if people are happy reading these stories as "events" that's their business and i don't care to stand in their way of happiness, i'm just expressing what i feel and think on the subject.
    Last edited by SXVA; 10-10-2014 at 07:22 PM.